Confirmed with Link: Brad Larsen Named Head Coach (Pascal Vincent, Steve McCarthy Hired as Assistants)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If you don’t think them showing up for his intro presser and everyone saying the leadership group vehemently supported him being the guy isn’t enough then I don’t know what to tell you. They aren’t pr people
Do you really think it’s that obvious to a fan base that generally despises this hire? Just because they were there was it too hard for any media organization to get a quote from someone other than Cam or did the team not allow them to comment?

I get they they were not supposed to be the focus of being there and I’m not only talking about the ones who were there. It just seems odd to me that the only player comment on the hiring comes from a team controlled message and 1 player only. Am I supposed to believe that Portzline, Hedger and others didn’t ask for any other player comments? From a PR standpoint this organization should have anyone and everyone willing sharing statements of support. Flood the fan base with positive news that’s not coming from jarmo or JD’s mouths.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
5 players volunteered their precious free time in the middle of their vacation from the fast paced draining world of the NHL and showed up in person to an impromptu presser literally on one day notice after Larsen got hired and people are over analyzing it trying to find negatives somehow
Please. It’s not like they were asked to travel long distances to be there. They were in town and could have just been in the building for workouts and asked to attend. You don’t know what their thoughts are any more than me because the only one who has publicly commented was Cam Atkinson.

Reactions: Cowumbus

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Do you really think it’s that obvious to a fan base that generally despises this hire? Just because they were there was it too hard for any media organization to get a quote from someone other than Cam or did the team not allow them to comment?

I get they they were not supposed to be the focus of being there and I’m not only talking about the ones who were there. It just seems odd to me that the only player comment on the hiring comes from a team controlled message and 1 player only. Am I supposed to believe that Portzline, Hedger and others didn’t ask for any other player comments? From a PR standpoint this organization should have anyone and everyone willing sharing statements of support. Flood the fan base with positive news that’s not coming from jarmo or JD’s mouths.

i just went thru landeskog and mackinnons social media and neither had any posts about bednar when he was hired.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Please. It’s not like they were asked to travel long distances to be there. They were in town and could have just been in the building for workouts and asked to attend. You don’t know what their thoughts are any more than me because the only one who has publicly commented was Cam Atkinson.
Cam is very active on twitter and instagram. The rest ... Torts is leaving, not the fact that they`re meeting him. Besides, it's a really great coach, the legend.
What`s happen Porty, Hedger etc... I`m suprise that they didn`t ask them. Because if yes they would comment it.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
i just went thru landeskog and mackinnons social media and neither had any posts about bednar when he was hired.

I honestly don't remember if this is a thing or not. Are players supposed to issue public support through social media when they get a new boss?

I was actually really surprised when they showed up at the presser, blown away by it actually.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Do you really think it’s that obvious to a fan base that generally despises this hire?

I was at a few rinks in Columbus the last couple of days. Literally nobody was talking about the hire in the part of the community that devotes hours and hours of their life to youth hockey. Nothing positive, nothing negative. Mostly talking about try outs, summer vacations, how the school year went, the high school summer league, etc. I don’t see this as a hire that people hate. I think the attitude is generally, “We had a good run, but it is over. Time to see what the next iteration of the Jackets is. Hey it’s summer and the world is returning to normal. Let’s go on vacation.”

Reactions: LJ7201 and CBJx614

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Probably not the greatest example because Roy quit on them 30 days before training camp and the organization was a sh*t show at that time. Who’s to say they weren’t completely disenchanted with the organization at that time. They literally hired the guy on a week’s notice from outside the organization.

Back to my point. Nobody knows the players true feelings on the hire and I fail to see where just being at a press conference was an unquestioned show of support. Maybe they just wanted to see what he was going to say.

I know I’m happy that Laine was there because he’s prepping for next season but Laine also got benched for mouthing off at Larsen in the beginning. Maybe things changed and grew between them as the season tanked. I know Larsen spoke highly of him in his introductory press conference so we’ll see in the results when the new season starts. Or maybe we won’t if the right trade deal comes along.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Social Media carries way too much weight in our society today. I'm glad that I'm not a high profile person who is expected to have a social media account and comment publicly on issues that I would prefer to stay away from altogether or address via email, phone call or in person.

This situation is no exception. Each player is entitled to handling this in their own way and don't need to be nitpicked about not going public with their feelings, good or bad.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If the players won't say why they want(ed) is that really on the organization/FO? How are they supposed to make changes if players(looking at you Dubois) won't say why they wanted out. If Jones and before him Panarin, want out, it's their right to. If we give Panarin a pass because he just really wanted to go to NY and was forced here in a trade, well than the same thing applies to Jones. Jones didn't get bridged and hardballed, he signed a long term deal to stay here until he was UFA. This is a business, both the players and management understand it. It's the fans the get attached and overreact to everything. Jarmo preaches taking full advantage of everything in the CBA and he fully understands that it goes both ways. Maybe there's a massive problem in the organization that nobody can pin down. Or maybe Jones is just a human being with wants and needs, and just maybe he wants to take advantage of one of, if not the biggest decisions he'll ever make in his entire life.

Who in the organization is asking for Jarmo to be fired? All I've heard of are those here who want him out for whatever reason of the week is. What reports of disfunction in the locker room? The players leadership group who were unhappy with Laines play? Ya know the same group of guys who were sitting next to Laine and the same group of leaders who vouch for Larsen? When someone like Cam speaks up for the guy, personally I'm gonna listen to what he has to say. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I value those who are actually involved in the organization and apart of the discussions far beyond any analyst's or HF members say.

So far only fans have called for the tank, I haven't heard of anyone in the org or any talking heads call for a tank. So I take that with a grain of salt. I mean FFS there's Avs fans wanting to tear it all down because they can't get past the 2nd round.

Everyone is titled to their opinion but literally nobody on the boards is in those meetings and absolutely nobody here has any idea what Larsen's vision is or any of the moves that Jarmo/JD want to make.

Man I forgot how insufferable the boards get in the offseason after a losing season. This post wasn't necessarily aimed directly at you Moe, we generally see things the same way. More just venting at the how tiring the boards have become the last few months.
Life is such we can’t always agree. I wish I were as optimistic as you. That said I still believe a total tear down isn’t needed but a significant reshaping of the roster is to establish a fit.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Hey. IBmG. Remember this?

That wasn't intended as encouragement.
I will say this again.

I made an observation. I'm not the one who brought the pitchforks the discussion. I find it interesting that there were comments on one side and not the other.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
• One name to keep in mind for Larsen’s staff is former Blue Jackets forward Kevin Dineen, who has spent the past two seasons as coach of AHL San Diego in the Anaheim Ducks organization. Dineen was Larsen’s coach with AHL Portland in 2009-10, his final pro season as a player. (Also on that team: Nathan Gerbe.) It wouldn’t be an easy decision to leave San Diego, where it’s always sunny and 76 degrees, but Dineen may be ready for an NHL return, especially after Anaheim coach Dallas Eakins recently was granted a contract extension.

my god porty loves Kevin dineen.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Maybe the smartest and best CEO I worked for once said if an organization is doing well and culturally sound, hire from within if possible. If the organization is not and needs changes, hire from outside the organization…..couldn’t agree more.

I have my thoughts on where the Jackets stand which would have been the guide in the coaches search.

This makes so much sense.

There's nothing to this outsider that suggests that the organization is in a place where most everyone is enthusiastic about the direction and state of things. It, in fact, seems quite the opposite.

I'll continue to beat the drum about ownership. I don't think that the CBJ are a priority or a strong passion for McConnell. The rehire of JD and the extension of the GM paints a picture to me of an owner who isn't committed to winning at the highest level.

The trend line of this organization's performance over the past 2 years is pretty ugly. Rehiring a Team President-whose long term record is mediocre at best-who gave the finger to the organization isn't an action which suggests that loyalty-generally an important characteristic of an company with a healthy culture-means much. Familiarity seems to be of utmost importance to ownership; not excellence.

Hence, an extended Jarmo Kekalainen.

The good news is that tickets on tickpick and stubhub will be dirt cheap by January.

EDIT:Blue Jackets Sunday Gathering: Give Brad Larsen a chance, realistic expectations, expansion draft update

I want to emphasize that Larsen has earned his chance. He seems like a very solid guy. I wish him well. I don't include him in my disdain of major players in the organization.

He hired Bednar as his assistant in Springfield (AHL). Certainly a strong point on his resume.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
How is it that there are sides? I'm so confused.
I am too but apparently we have a social double standard that I find interesting, not just particularly in regards to this specific situation.

We have 1 side where where players openly wished Torts well on their social media feeds and we have another side where there was no congratulatory tweets/IG stories welcoming Larsen to the position.

Just from a human nature impact and based on the discussion that has occurred, it seems perfectly normal to wish someone well on social media when they leave but when the get promoted or something like that happens worth celebrating it is "weird" to do that on social media.

Regardless of anyone's personal feelings on the matter internally within the team, I just find the reality of the dynamic interesting and that is my observation. I get that there were a handful of players there at the press conference who happened to be in town and we were told they were there for support but literally nobody commented on it on record except Cam Atkinson so we don't know their true thoughts. That is also my observation.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

my god porty loves Kevin dineen.

I mean it's a valid person to bring up considering their prior relationship. As pointed out his opportunities to get back to the NHL seem limited in Anaheim. Just don't ask him what kind of tree he would be or whatever dumb question he was asked last time he interviewed for the head job under Howson.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Life is such we can’t always agree. I wish I were as optimistic as you. That said I still believe a total tear down isn’t needed but a significant reshaping of the roster is to establish a fit.
I think that depends. If the Jackets can draft a Barzal or a Draisatl type they may not need a full rebuild. If they can turn some assets into a Barzal type player then no reason for a full tear down.

If Larsen can convince Jones and Werenski to stay, they may not need a complete rebuild.

I really don't expect that to happen though.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think, in general, among the casual, non rabid fan, the reaction to Larsen is "You mean they promoted the power play guy???? Great, just great. I'll get back to you after Thanksgiving."

I am concerned that the Jackets will be almost invisible in the off season. I do not see any big signing like Doug Hamilton, or a Jones for Marner blockbuster trade. "The brick by brick" slogan suggests a series of modest moves that do not include large expenditures of money or long term commitments, unless it is for Werenski. I could see a signing for a guy like Danault for 3 years at $3.5 million but that is about it. While there have been many wild, bold scenarios outlined on this board, I think it will be more of an off-season of modest moves.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am too but apparently we have a social double standard that I find interesting, not just particularly in regards to this specific situation.

We have 1 side where where players openly wished Torts well on their social media feeds and we have another side where there was no congratulatory tweets/IG stories welcoming Larsen to the position.

Just from a human nature impact and based on the discussion that has occurred, it seems perfectly normal to wish someone well on social media when they leave but when the get promoted or something like that happens worth celebrating it is "weird" to do that on social media.

Regardless of anyone's personal feelings on the matter internally within the team, I just find the reality of the dynamic interesting and that is my observation. I get that there were a handful of players there at the press conference who happened to be in town and we were told they were there for support but literally nobody commented on it on record except Cam Atkinson so we don't know their true thoughts. That is also my observation.

That's not a double standard.

There is a social norm in favor of posting something about a retiring colleague or departing boss. There is no such norm for welcoming a new boss. You're asking for players to do something weird.

Honestly if the question of player opinion wasn't settled for you when five players showed up at the hiring presser - something I've never seen before - then you're just a lost cause on this topic.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think, in general, among the casual, non rabid fan, the reaction to Larsen is "You mean they promoted the power play guy???? Great, just great. I'll get back to you after Thanksgiving."

I am concerned that the Jackets will be almost invisible in the off season. I do not see any big signing like Doug Hamilton, or a Jones for Marner blockbuster trade. "The brick by brick" slogan suggests a series of modest moves that do not include large expenditures of money or long term commitments, unless it is for Werenski. I could see a signing for a guy like Danault for 3 years at $3.5 million but that is about it. While there have been many wild, bold scenarios outlined on this board, I think it will be more of an off-season of modest moves.

The last thing I want the FO to think about is how they can make moves to immediately please the casuals.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That's not a double standard.

There is a social norm in favor of posting something about a retiring colleague or departing boss. There is no such norm for welcoming a new boss. You're asking for players to do something weird.

Honestly if the question of player opinion wasn't settled for you when five players showed up at the hiring presser - something I've never seen before - then you're just a lost cause on this topic.
You've totally missed my points about my curiosity of social behavior but whatever. I'm over trying to explain myself.

Peace Out.

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wonder if this is Letestu's oppurtunity to get back into the game in some capacity. Not sure what direction Larsen wants to go in terms of his staff but Letestu maybe in some lesser role has been a thought for me

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad