Friedman: Bracco, Timashov, and Harpur on the block

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Timashev is someone I would like to hold onto for the season with all our injuries up front.

But truth is, on a fully healthy leafs team he does not slot into our top 12 forwards.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Mikheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Engvall-Gauthier-Moore

But the thing is we havent had a fully healthy forward corps... pretty much all year once the injury bug hit. 3 of those guys are out right now. So unless they have a rental or defenceman in mind I would hold onto Timashev.

As for Bracco, move him while he still has value. He will never make this team with our RW depth. And in a couple years time, nobody will want an unproven 24 year old prospect.

Doubt Harpur has any value. I would even give him a shot on the leafs right now with Muzzin out. Cant possibly be worse than Marincin.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
:leafs
Jack Campbell
Kyle Clifford

:kings
Dmytro Timashov
Cody Ceci @ 50% retained
Michael Hutchinson

Hutchinson can immediately be sent down in order to promote Cal Petersen.

Also, Ceci double retained @ 50% brings his cap hit down to 1.125M if the Kings want to flip him at the deadline. A bottom pair depth dman at 1.125M will fetch far more than if the Kings were to just trade Clifford and Campbell. 4th line wingers and backup goalies historically haven't fetched much on their own.

On top of that, the Kings also get Timashov who I'm surprised isn't seen as more valuable than Bracco. They were drafted in the same year, yet Timashov hasn't looked out of place on the 4th line, while Bracco still can't get a callup. Also, Timashov has as many NHL goals this year as Bracco has AHL goals.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Kapanen, Bracco and Ceci will be a package sent to another team if I had to guess. Has to be a team that needs offense, can afford to let the Ceci contract expire this year and can afford to send the Leafs a D man in return. Not sure who that team is or who the player would be but if I had to guess it will be something like this in a leafs trade.....

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Ah, yes. The annual "The Leafs are so loaded that even our AHL'ers are elite thread". Where we have to listen to fans telling us that Carter Ashton, Peter Holland, Josh Leivo, Jerry D'amigo, TJ Brennan, Tyler Biggs, Sam Carrick, Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Brendan Leipsic, Nikita Soshnikov, Calle Rosen, Garret Sparkes and Mark Arcobello are the star players every other NHL team need, yet they aren't good enough for the Leafs.

Noone is saying that, every Leafs fan knows these guys aren't worth much. We have depth in the top 6 and not much else, so it would make sense to try and trade pieces to a team who's depth is somewhere ours is lacking.

Its only because of windbag Friedman trying to get eyeballs on HNIC that this is even being discussed. Every team is trying to do the same thing.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
lol never ! Grundy going to be a fan favorite and great player for us . Probably go down as one of the best trades in Kings history when it’s all said and done . Next year he will be full time on the Kings

Glad he is working out for you. I was pissed off he was included in the Muzzin deal. I like Muzz though so both teams come out happy with the deal.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
This is our version of Ryder, Halak, 2nd!

Pietrangelo (50% retained) for Bracco, Tima and Harpur, and Ceci for free! Who adds?

Act fast Blues...this offer will be revoked at any time.

Reactions: simon IC

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t think it is that the team is unhappy with Timashov. When healthy we have too many forwards and he is probably the odd man out.
His availability could even have changed with the recent injuries.

To be honest, I've been more impressed with Timashov than Trevor Moore. Moore might be more sound defensively, but Timashov provides just as much physicality and IMO has a higher offensive ceiling, at least based on what either has shown in limited duties.

As a depth guy, Moore might be better suited as a 4th liner/PKer, but Timashov looks better suited to be able to play anywhere in the lineup.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Bracco has shown an inability to learn the defensive side of the game despite an increase in effort this year. He is blocked by Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, and Moore on the right side. In my opinion, he has no future with the Leafs, so a trade is inevitable.

Timashov is an NHL player at 23 who has proven he can handle bottom six duties at this level, so i'd rather not trade him. I don't see why Dubas would randomly look to unload cheap young depth unless its in a package to address a positional need.
And this is a big problem for NHL coaches, they don't want players they have absolutely zero confidence in when it comes to their defensive side of the game regardless of how offensively skilled they are. See it all the time, skilled players that everyone is like "oh hey he's way better than so-and-so and can get way more points" but if he can't play D when needed a coach will just bench them regardless.

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Bracco for Nicolas Meloche ?

Not sure if the Sharks would be interested but both are former second round picks who haven’t made the NHL. Right handed d man for the leafs.

I think at the end he will he added as a plus for a bigger trade to upgrade the D for the leafs.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ah, yes. The annual "The Leafs are so loaded that even our AHL'ers are elite thread". Where we have to listen to fans telling us that Carter Ashton, Peter Holland, Josh Leivo, Jerry D'amigo, TJ Brennan, Tyler Biggs, Sam Carrick, Matt Frattin, Jesse Blacker, Brendan Leipsic, Nikita Soshnikov, Calle Rosen, Garret Sparkes and Mark Arcobello are the star players every other NHL team need, yet they aren't good enough for the Leafs.

First of all no one in this thread has claimed they are worth anything of significant value, just stating they can be a valuable piece to some NHL teams. You are manufacturing a made up narrative to suite your bias.

Secondly, would love to see these threads if these posts were so prominent? D'amigo got hyped to due his WJC but that is not a fan base specific. The rest were hyped in the fan base at times (well some like Frattin), but are you suggesting Leaf fans can;t be optimistic about their prospects? They should assume they all suck?

And finally, the bolded makes me laugh because the Leafs are a damn good team with a lot of organizational depth. They have good players who help other teams who couldn't get into the lineup here (Leivo, Leipsic, Soshnikov, Holland, Carrick, Holzer, etc). Again, not unlike other good NHL teams they have a lot of NHL ability depth.

Weird seeing this post from you of all people as you frequently come to the Leaf board GDT's and participate.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Kapanen, Bracco and Ceci will be a package sent to another team if I had to guess. Has to be a team that needs offense, can afford to let the Ceci contract expire this year and can afford to send the Leafs a D man in return. Not sure who that team is or who the player would be but if I had to guess it will be something like this in a leafs trade.....

Vancouver? They need a player capable of top 6 minutes, Tanev would look good beside Rielly. He might sign for a decent amount to be close to home and play for his favourite team growing up ala Tavares?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't see anyone trading anything of value for Harpur or Timashov, and I don't think Bracco has all that much value. I feel like players of this caliber are thrown on the block all of the time, and Friedman is only mentioning them because they're in the Leafs organization.

I agree with this. MAYBE you get a late round pick for one of those guys but really, a lot of teams have these kind of tweener guys and if they really want a guy like Bracco they’ll wait for him to become waiver fodder.

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Bracco has good vlaue IMO , he put up over a ppg in the AHL in the playoffs and Regular season as a 20-21 year on a pretty mediocre team . Hes a small and skilled forward which the leafs have tons of . I think a good top 9 forward would be what the leafs are looking for with grit ( a third line winger ) , For Bracco

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Similar aged RHD/LHD who is also stuck in the AHL due to a log jam makes the most sense
Is bracco a right or left wing? Bruins have a glut of d prospects. Not the most likely trade partners but it possible. Only if bracco is a rw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad