Bracco - PPG in the A @ 21 YO

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Sweet Leaf, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Duke Silver

Duke Silver Truce?

Leipsic may be a faster skater and harder worker, but Bracco is fantastic on his edges. Like a poor man's playmaking Jeff Skinner.

Still don't think his skills will transfer. His defensive game, from what I've heard, read and seen, is pretty atrocious. Also very easily pushed off the puck (if you catch him: he's elusive).

2. Faltorvo

Faltorvo Registered User

SCREW THAT!!!
    send Melander for Nurse and give Bracco a shot in Melanders entitled slot with Matty

we are cap screwed WOTN , some are giving a over/under for MM/AM at 22.5m per and many are picking the over.

That would add up to ( assuming only 22.5m) 40.5m cap(48.5% of our cap) on JUST 4 players,WN/JT/MM/AM

The Leafs done fckd up IMO , they caved on Melander and blood is in the water and the sharks are circling.

THE ONLY saving move they have is to not ink MM/AM till they have traded Melander after july 1 and wait for Point/Rantennen to set the market.

A) set the precedent that bad demands gets you shipped out , buh bye melander
    B) let Point and Rantennen set the "new so called market"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. Faltorvo

Faltorvo Registered User

I honestly don't want to make that kind of call till he has had 40 games beside Matty.

If he could post "ball park" 20As as AMs winger as a rook, there would be hope.

4. Faltorvo

Faltorvo Registered User

screw that,,,,,, IF we are getting "calls on him" that says to me" we can trade trade Melander"
    for a D upgrade and give JB a shot with Matty or Kads.

5. TML1967

TML1967 Registered User

People I think are a bit overhyping what he has accomplished this year.

I have yet to see a coach say he cant put up points at any level.

His issue is his work ethic, skating (1st step and high end speed, edge work is phenomenal) and his apparent disinterest of playing in his own end and in the corners.

He hasn't really improved his negatives yet.

IMO, he is a guy who will have a "come to jesus" moment some time this summer. Babs or Keefe will sit him down and say "if ya wanna make the NHL, you got the talent. You can be a middle 6 guy in a year if ya work on your weaknesses. If ya dont, your gonna be a AAAA guy in the AHL who never sticks in the bigs"

Kind of like Conachar, TJ Brennan

Kurtz likes this.
  6. WilliamNylander

WilliamNylander Sheldon Keefe 2020

He could probably play on a 3rd-4th line somewhere right now. Too bad he's stuck behind Marner, Kappy, Willy. I think he is likely to be traded in the off season so he can get a shot somewhere else.

HamiltonNHL likes this.
  7. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

Your Nylander obsession is getting creepy. Melander is not nearly as clever as you think btw.

Kurtz, Tarmore and Fogelhund like this.
  8. Boutette

Boutette Been there done that

I don't disagree about Bracco, but you have got to stop reading the main boards about what Matthews and Marner will cost. its not like they thought we were going to get Tavares for 11mil or even at all, for instance.

9. stickty111

stickty111 Registered User

If Bracco wont be able to play on a Babcock team, then the coach is the problem.
    If there is another 1st round exit, Dubas should fire Babcock anyway.

10. stickty111

stickty111 Registered User

His defensive game is more then fine. You must be thinking of pre Windsor Bracco.

11. Faltorvo

Faltorvo Registered User

oh my,,,,you set me straight:laugh:

i was "creepy" when i screamed/insulted for years that Bozo/Phat fill/Tinman/7 million dollar fraud had to go and tanking was the only way

and those 4 are gone now and
    we have FA/KK(phat fill trade + added cap space)/MM( Jan 2015 ,leaked memo Shanny has ownerships ok to blow it up)))))/AM(further blow up and a skilled coaching job by babs to end 30th)/JT(cap room thanks to 20m in cap flushed from PK/JL/DP and true hope for the future) to show for it ,,my bad ,,i apologise for being "creepy", can you ever forgive me?

Melander is nothing more then another cancerous spot that needs to be lanced, like those that came before him

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  12. Faltorvo

Faltorvo Registered User

what?

if there is another 1rst round exit Dubas is the one that needs to be fired

this team was humming just fine till he caved into Melanders demands.

Since me first willys return,,, this team has not been the same.

That's ALL on Dubas

13. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

:sarcasm: ?

hahaha, you're a beauty!

14. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

I can't believe anyone would call you creepy. This is completely reasonable

15. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

He feels like an NHL/AHL tweener. I would not be shocked to see him have a long career as an NLA import player. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not sold on his game either. Next year has to be the year he cracks the team in some role, as soon he's entering the decision time when he is eligible for waivers in 2020/21. As someone who is primarily a pure-offensive guy who isn't going to win battles, it takes a lot of skill to be in an NHL top 9.

The only guys in the Leafs who I think have a 50/50 or better shot at being long-term NHLers are Liljegren, Sandin, and Grundstrom. It is long-odds to do it (just look at the odds of the average draft pick past the top 10). I really like Woll and Scott as prospects, but goalies are so erratic, that you can never be anywhere confident of them being NHLers before they step into pro-hockey.

Look, Bracco could maybe be a guy who pulls it off, but there are a bunch of guys who put up similar numbers who were good juniors players. Look at guys like Robbie Schremp, Linden Vey, Robert Nilsson, Nigel Dawes, Zach Boychuk, Cal O'Reilly, Corey Locke, and Chris Bourque.

You got better examples like Tyler Johnson, Brad Marchand, Clarke MacArthur, Marchessault, and to a lesser extent Filppula. I hope Bracco is in that grouping, I'm just not optimistic. I think he has a decent amount in common with the first group outside of Cal O'Reilly. I don't really see the grit in Bracco's game like Tyler Johnson and Marchand. It is very tough to make the league as a primary playmaker. Bracco doesn't bring much in the way of grit or puck battles, and he isn't much of a goal scorer.

16. Dart Guy

Dart Guy Registered User

Cmon dude do you really think Kadri is going to end up on Matthews wing? There is literally zero chance of that happening.

Jeffrey Pedler likes this.
  17. Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson Registered User

I think the Nylander trade is off the table at this point, I don't think Dubas would have been forthcoming about telling him he wouldn't be traded if there was a chance

Kurtz likes this.
  18. ULF_55

ULF_55 Moderator

Home Page:
    Different worlds, scoring over PPG as a 19 year old compared to PPG as a 21 year old in the AHL.

Not even close.

19. JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal Registered User

His defensive game, strength on puck, physical strength, strength of shot and straight away speed have always been weaknesses. Lateral skating and edgework is his game. Gifted hands is his game. Uncanny ability to see the ice is his game. Making big time plays in big time games is his game. And he plays like a hand and glove with Matty. And to say he can't score is wrong. He can. I have seen him score 5 goals in a game playing alongside Matty. He is best match for Matty we have on either Leafs or Marlies. That's why they are friends from having played together in spring hockey and in US development program. He is working on his weaknesses on the Marlies. Whether it is next year or the following year he will be on Leafs at some point irrespective of Babs. He is only true skill talent we have left in system. He will be kept because behind the scenes no one is confident that Willy can be a playoff performer. I am not saying no one is cheering for him. I personally like Willy and am cheering for him but many others in Leafland lets just say are not sure yet.

20. Sweet Leaf

Sweet Leaf Registered User

The 12 month progression curve is exciting though.

IE:

He looked like a big bust last year.

He's a ppg player this year which is impressive in itself and makes you think maybe he's a legit prospect for us or someone else...BUT THEN consider it's now 32 points in his last 26 games...ie 1..24 PPG in over a quarter of a season.

Now things are getting exciting.

Let's see where the curve goes from here.

21. ULF_55

ULF_55 Moderator

Home Page:
    Does it help that he's playing on a middle of the pack team this year?
    I remember when Stajan was a 2nd. line center on the Leafs.
    It almost seems a paradox, that Stajan without much support was putting up those points, but on stronger teams he was at best a 3rd. liner.

Looking at the Leafs needs, I think Bracco is expendable unless he can step up and replace Johnsson.

Does his motor run like Johnsson's?

22. JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal Registered User

He is not a Johnsson type player. I think his best shot with Leafs would be if Nylander or Marner was traded. He plays more like Marner than Willy but all 3 are super soft skilled guys.

23. Intellivisionhockey

Intellivisionhockey Registered User

Having watched a fair amount of Bracco - he sees the ice as well as Marner does without the same level of athleticism. As another poster mentioned, he's the last prospect with elite potential and we'd be stupid to send him off in a trade.
    I'd love to see him next to Matthews - he's a pure playmaker and wold be a better fit than Nylander, IMO.

SprDaVE likes this.
  24. ULF_55

ULF_55 Moderator

Home Page:
    Yeah, that's my impression from very very limited viewings.

To me he's a good asset to be used by a rebuilding team.

On his own I don't think he'd return anything more than a bottom pairing / 7th. d-man, but as a sweetener in a package he might make the other team think potential steal.

TBH, if he was dealt and became a steal I'd be fine with that due to the Leafs excess of good RW.

That is really what you hope when you draft multiple players for few spots ... some of them are too good for the AHL but not as good as what you have in the NHL, rather than complete busts.

OTOH I'd be hesitant to include someone who brings some size, speed and grit with less skill, which is a shortcoming on the important team.

25. Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson Registered User

all 3 of our big centers are stylistically similar scoring players - great in the home plate area and score often when they one-touch the puck or carry it for a very short period, it's not a terrible idea to give all three of them a right winger that operates as the primary puck carrier on the line, gets clean zone entry often and distributes the puck from the RW to the center who's streaking to the net when they get the zone. I don't know if that was intentional when the Leafs chose player personnel, but the symmetry in those lines would be pretty amazing coincidence

Sweet Leaf likes this.