OT: Boxing/MMA Discussion

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Rather than flood the OT thread, this can be a thread dedicated to boxing and mixed martial arts discussion.

I've had an on again, off again relationship with boxing since my early years, but have fallen in love with the sport again this summer.

It's a great workout too. I just hung a heavy bag in my garage.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
My buddy had a heavy bag but he's gone full recluse. Once I have the funds I'm looking into either Boxing or BJJ as a hobby/means of fitness.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
My buddy had a heavy bag but he's gone full recluse. Once I have the funds I'm looking into either Boxing or BJJ as a hobby/means of fitness.

I tried some of the classes at the gym, and they were good but I couldn't justify dropping an extra $120 a month.

Tons of workouts online to pick from.

Got myself a speed rope, picked up the bag off of Craigslist for $25, got the hanging hardware and my father in law helped me find the ceiling studs.

I just ordered a medicine ball as well. I'll just do the workouts at home.
There's one common heavy bag in the weight room at the gym, but I'm a bit self conscience about using it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dying for Comier jones 2. Really hope DC folds Jones in half and shuts his mouth up once and for all.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`ll likely offend/PO some here but I just can`t watch MMA , I like my hockey fisticuffs, just find this sport a little too much for my taste and boxing? No thanks, my Dad (RIP) loved boxing and while I never tried it, I loved it, grew up in the era of Duran/Hearns/Leonard/Hagler/Holmes etc....there`s nowhere near the intrigue to keep me interested any longer

Might happen again, but there is nothing that entices me at this stage to plunk down some coin for a PPV

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dying for Comier jones 2. Really hope DC folds Jones in half and shuts his mouth up once and for all.

We're not so different you and I :laugh:

I'm a big D.C. guy, he gets way too much **** from the fans

I'm looking forward to ngannou vs junior dos santos in a couple months. I wanna see if that kid is the real deal

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Does anyone else remember back when UFC started and there were no 'MMA' trained fighters? It was guys all trained differently? Sort of like watching a live Street fighter where a boxer would fight a ju jitsu master.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Does anyone else remember back when UFC started and there were no 'MMA' trained fighters? It was guys all trained differently? Sort of like watching a live Street fighter where a boxer would fight a ju jitsu master.

:laugh: that's exactly what it was. I'd watch it sporadically before I got into it big time in the last year. Some of the older fights I remember were unskilled slugfests. Just stand and bang for 3 rounds. Never see that anymore, now everybody is so advanced and their skill sets are very well rounded. If chuck Liddell entered his prime right now I don't think he'd be ranked in the top 10 in his weight class

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I'm looking forward to ngannou vs junior dos santos in a couple months. I wanna see if that kid is the real deal

Cormier (imo) comes across as really arrogant (especially when he's working as an analyst) which turns a lot of people off. I watched more MMA when it was first becoming popular a few years ago, but I still enjoy it.

If you are an MMA fan, the movie "Warrior" with Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy is a must watch.

High five Tom

Nov 11, 2012
Cormier should win a decision vs Jones. Jones has had one fight in the past 2.5 yrs and he did not look good in it. I'm expecting him to be a bit slow and will eventually gas.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Cormier (imo) comes across as really arrogant (especially when he's working as an analyst) which turns a lot of people off. I watched more MMA when it was first becoming popular a few years ago, but I still enjoy it.

If you are an MMA fan, the movie "Warrior" with Joel Edgerton and Tom Hardy is a must watch.

That's it for me too with Cormier. I also hate how he always plays the victim against Jones. And hat belt isn't really his, until he can beat Jones anyway, in my mind. I'm to the point where, despite Jones' incidents, I want Jones to beat Cormier again.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Yeah I remember watching it in the very early days.

I haven't been into MMA for quite a while, but have been watching a bit lately.

I need to remember to DVR it.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Anyone watch the Paqcuiao fight. Obviously he got robbed but I have to say it was great to watch some world-class boxing for free! I thought it was a great gesture by Pac-Man having the fight carried on espn. Pac-man has definitely lost some punching power but it was an action packed fight, a nice change from Mayweather's bouts.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Yeah I remember watching it in the very early days.

I haven't been into MMA for quite a while, but have been watching a bit lately.

I need to remember to DVR it.

Hackney vs Jo San
Varlens vs Marco Ruas
Dan Severn vs Anthony Macias
Orlando Weit vs Luccarello?
Weit vs Remco Pardue

The level of violence, other than a smattering of pride fights has really never been attained like those ones oldies. I do miss David vs Goliath matches. Mma now lost me when Fedor Wandy Crocop Couture etc pretty much became fodder.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Anyone watch the Paqcuiao fight. Obviously he got robbed but I have to say it was great to watch some world-class boxing for free! I thought it was a great gesture by Pac-Man having the fight carried on espn. Pac-man has definitely lost some punching power but it was an action packed fight, a nice change from Mayweather's bouts.

Pacquiao got screwed, no doubt about it. How can there be a unanimous decision when he landed so many more punches and almost won in the ninth? I can see the partisanship with the huge Australian audience, but the scorers were not Aussies.

Glad Manny wants a rematch. Hoping justice will be done with a KO.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

I agree with all of this.

I wonder if all sports have just gotten to a point where they're just so overly technical and well coached/trained for that it eliminates some of the "fun" factor.

I think part of Horn's appeal for me is that he had some flaws, but is a brawler.

You look at a guy like Mayweather who is so technically sound, but "boring".
Reminds me of the trap in hockey. Same with baseball and pace of play. Guys are going deeper into counts. They train for this stuff year round and watch film. It's their life.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Ha! Jones is fine, I just hate that he pretends to be a nice guy and is a jerk in reality. I'd rather he just be a bad guy and embrace his true self instead of pretending.

Ngannou is a beast. I think JDS is cooked, so I'm not sure he's going to do anything other than catch a beating.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
I agree with all of this.

I wonder if all sports have just gotten to a point where they're just so overly technical and well coached/trained for that it eliminates some of the "fun" factor.

I think part of Horn's appeal for me is that he had some flaws, but is a brawler.

You look at a guy like Mayweather who is so technically sound, but "boring".
Reminds me of the trap in hockey. Same with baseball and pace of play. Guys are going deeper into counts. They train for this stuff year round and watch film. It's their life.

I can marvel at Floyd's impeccable defense but like you said he is so technically sound he's boring. Does Floyd have any fight that can be held up there with Gatti-Ward or Hagler-Hearns? Those fights were not the most technical exhibitions of boxing but they endure the test of time. I can't even remember a Floyd fight as entertaining as Paq-Horn. Outside of the biggest boxing junkies does anyone watch a fight for defensive excellence?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That's it for me too with Cormier. I also hate how he always plays the victim against Jones. And hat belt isn't really his, until he can beat Jones anyway, in my mind. I'm to the point where, despite Jones' incidents, I want Jones to beat Cormier again.

Jones is just a terrible person, but pretends to be this great guy for the cameras. And a PED abuser. He crashed a car driving high into a pregnant woman and then ran away. I can't root for a dirtbag like that, at any point.

It'll be interesting to see how he looks off the juice against DC too.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Jones is just a terrible person, but pretends to be this great guy for the cameras. And a PED abuser. He crashed a car driving high into a pregnant woman and then ran away. I can't root for a dirtbag like that, at any point.

It'll be interesting to see how he looks off the juice against DC too.

Definitely a terrible person. I just can't root for Cormier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->