OT: Boxing Legend 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler Has Died

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I watched Hagler vs. Leonard in 1987 on closed circuit at the old Garden, with four big screens standing at center ice. What I'll never forget is that they allowed smoking everywhere, and the place just lit up with lighters, only this wasn't some encore. Fights were real events back then, what a different era.

images

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Didn't know Hagler was living in New Hampshire with his family. Such a bummer. Great champion. Fought his way up out of Newark in his early childhood.

Remember watching win the championship against Minter. Then he had to run out of the ring because he was being pelted with beer bottles.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
A beautiful fighter to watch. Southpaw who could turn around and fight righty. Great jab either way. Heavy hitter in both hands. Could take a punch. The Hearns fight was the best 3 rounder ever. Should have gotten the decision over Leonard.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Didn't know Hagler was living in New Hampshire with his family. Such a bummer. Great champion. Fought his way up out of Newark in his early childhood.

Remember watching win the championship against Minter. Then he had to run out of the ring because he was being pelted with beer bottles.

He’s had a place in N.H. for a long time.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Seems like i kept running into Vito Antuofermo in the late 80's. Loved talking boxing with him. Billy Costello was from my hometown and I knew the family well. Arguello, Monzon, Salvator Sanchez, etc. He said Hagler took, and delivered punches that no one else could do. His heart was unbreakable in the ring.

For me, boxing died a bit after that Sugar Ray - Hagler fight. Travesty.

RIP CHAMP!!!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It seems crazy now but even in 1985 when Hearns and Hagler fought most of Boston was still not wired for cable TV

So fans paid to watch it on close circuit TV at hefty prices

upload_2021-3-15_5-32-41.png

At the time I lived in Somerville and the fight was available on cable on HBO PPV and needless to say I was very popular that night. :DD

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It seems crazy now but even in 1985 when Hearns and Hagler fought most of Boston was still not wired for cable TV

So fans paid to watch it on close circuit TV at hefty prices

View attachment 407596

At the time I lived in Somerville and the fight was available on cable on HBO PPV and needless to say I was very popular that night. :DD
Watched it at Lombardo's for $50.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I watched the Hagler / Hearns fight on closed circuit TV at the old Maple Leaf Gardens with a bunch of friends.
I remember betting 300.00, which was a weeks pay for me way back then on Hagler and was crapping my pants when they came out trading punches in round one. It was one of the most exciting fights I ever saw, ranks up with the three Ali / Frazier fights.
After the fight, I can recall Hagler saying " Hearns cut me and then I got mad"
RIP, one of the greatest Middleweights of all time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
“For sure wasn’t the vaccine that caused his death,” said Hagler’s wife of three decades, Kay G. Hagler, in a statement posted to Facebook. “My baby left in peace with his [usual] smile and now is not the time to talk nonsense.”

Kay Hagler didn’t provide additional details on the cause of her husband’s death. He was 66.

Boxing legend Marvin Hagler’s widow says he didn’t die from reaction to COVID-19 vaccine - The Boston Globe
Glad she said something because the crap being spread on social media this weekend was just gross.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
This still has me bummed out, loved following Marvin back in the day and enjoyed a couple of quick conversations with him on vacation in N.H.

A long with the loss of EVH, two of my all-time favorites are gone too young...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad