Post-Game Talk: @boxcar65

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Yeah, this might be the "worst 6-1 team" that I can remember in a long, long time. Team needs to get their game together really fast here, otherwise we are going to get destroyed every night once we start playing playoff teams

Our schedule has been ridiculously easy so far. RIDICULOUSLY so. We haven't played a single game against a team that is in the top-15 of the league standings as of October 17th. The best team we've played is Vancouver, who is currently in 16th place. If we don't turn our game around really fast, we are going to get caved in really fast here.

There is so much parity in the NHL that on any given night there is not much difference between teams 6 through 25 so I do not put much weight into not playing the so called heavyweights. Plus, we all know that if we had played the "heavy weights" and won the naysayers would be saying that those teams haven't ramped it up yet and we are lucky to play them so early in the year.

Finally, and this is not directed at you, I find it funny that how in years past when our PK, PP or our goaltending sucked people would point to it as an area that has to improve in order to win in this league of parity......then when it actually happens it is discounted as luck or not that important because our 5 x 5 play is weak and suggests a pending doom.

With the current top heavy salary structure this team will never be a 5 x 5 on powerhouse so being dominant on the PP, PK with above average goaltending is the only way we will have success this season and probably next season as well.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
McDavid and Draisaitl somehow got even better than last year.
Koskinen looked really good, he's proving me wrong so far and I'm happy about it.
Great to see McDavid and Draisaitl under 20 minutes as well. These are the sort of games you can rest them in the 3rd.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
What nonsense is this. You don't get to write off wins because you've decided they weren't the "right way".

The Oilers were never in danger of losing last night, if you think they were, that's simply not true.

Maybe after the 1st half, but philly had a huge amount of chances in close. Oilers only needed some goals to pop off though, I don't think Philly straight up dominated them.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Maybe after the 1st half, but philly had a huge amount of chances in close. Oilers only needed some goals to pop off though, I don't think Philly straight up dominated them.
The Flyers certainly had the better of the play, there's no doubt and it was hardly a "stellar" performance from the team, but they were up 2-1 during period when the Flyers were all over them, then they put them utterly away.

I'm not suggesting the team is flawless, but writing off wins because they "didn't look right" is just dumb for a team who's had enough trouble just consistently winning.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sorry if posted already :)

Gretzky, legend on the ice. Also a legend at getting watches below market value.

Reactions: TB12

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Until he notices the watch says Rollex not Rolex

200.gif

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Sorry if posted already :)

Gretzky, legend on the ice. Also a legend at getting watches below market value.

I saw another video of Gretzky lately.

He's looking healthier. Seemed like he was fighting an illness or just drinking too much the last couple years so it's good to see him looking good.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Our ugliest win of the season. The end of that game really pissed me off. I'm sure AV ripped into the flyers bw periods, especially after they took the night off in Calgary, but still.
-Kosk was a beast. Those last 2 late goals should not have happened. He should start again on Friday.
-McDavid's best game of the year. Just wow!
-Drai beasting again.
-if the league doesn't suspend granlund, the team should sit him. Stupid penalties especially the 2nd.
-lots to clean up but it's nice to be winning games while cleaning it up.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
The problem with purely relying on advanced statistics is that they make a series of assumptions. Corsi assumes that all shot-takers are equal. Clearly, they're not. Draisaitl and McDavid are always going to result in SH% for their teammates much higher than the average due to their incredible passing ability.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad