Box Scores: Portals to the Past

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
I've discovered a research tool even better than my copy of Total NHL: the box scores provided by Hockey Reference. Discussion a while ago here at HOH - on the subject of Frank Mahovlich's first failed attempt to reach the 50-goal mark - first led me to those box scores, and I've returned 100s of times since.

My interest in the first Jim Watson led me to a box score which really caught my attention, from October 18, 1970. The Penguins were at The Aud to face the Buffalo Sabres - on a Sunday Night - and I was there. That was my first time watching an NHL game at The Aud. I had seen the AHL Bison, and professional wrestling there before that.

What a game. At .39 - with lots of folks still settling in to their seats - the action began in earnest, with the Sabres' Reggie Fleming really going at it with Pittsburgh's Bryan Watson. That brought everyone out of their seats. Needless to say - at the time - I didn't know the details. My older brother, Mike - who brought me to the game - identified the combatants. Later in the first period, Buffalo's Tracy Pratt was paired off with Glen Sather of the Penguins. The game ended 1-1. Folks were excited as they left. Certainly whet my appetite to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad