Bowmeester vs Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Barker is a similar player, but Bouwmeester is simply superior in almost all facets.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Yeah Boowmeester, but not by much. He skates a little smoother, he carries the puck a little better, he's a little bigger and shoots a little faster.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I think Bouwmeester is gonna follow in the foot steps of Ed Jovanovski as he was touted to be a great defenseman in the draft, did not make any serious impact and pan out when he changes sceneries

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Oh pleeaasseeeee.... The only common point both have is that they were picked by Florida. Defensemen always take time to develop and Bouwmeester is already ahead of is time, playing 23 minutes per game.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
markov` said:
Barker is really, really underrated on these boards. I say Bouwmeester, but by a small margin.

Have you seen him play?

I really need to find someone here whos seen him play in more than 5 games, because I'd like to see how he stacks up to Komisarek, J-Bo, Ryan Whitney, Pitkanen, Suter or Coburn.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
I read a post from a Medicine Hat season ticket holder a while back who said that they shouldn't even be compared and that (even though some think he is underrated), he thought that Barker was overrated.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Kafka said:
Oh pleeaasseeeee.... The only common point both have is that they were picked by Florida. Defensemen always take time to develop and Bouwmeester is already ahead of is time, playing 23 minutes per game.

Thats what Im saying...it bugs me that people are quick write off Klesla (not in this thread but on the board in general).

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
i saw barker 3 times this year and i saw too much brisebois in him!!!
good offensive skills(play it very safely) has the size but dont use it enough, can have some braincramps defensively and good shot from the point but not great !

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Sethis said:
Have you seen him play?

I really need to find someone here whos seen him play in more than 5 games, because I'd like to see how he stacks up to Komisarek, J-Bo, Ryan Whitney, Pitkanen, Suter or Coburn.
I would take J-Bo, Ryan Whitney, Pitkanen and probably Komisarek well before Barker....Suter and Coburn would be about on the same level as Barker, IMO.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
craig1 said:
I would take J-Bo, Ryan Whitney, Pitkanen and probably Komisarek well before Barker....Suter and Coburn would be about on the same level as Barker, IMO.

i'd put j-bo, whitney, pitkanen and suter well above barker...and i think coburn and komisarek are substantially below, actually. i think barker is a solid prospect...but...i think if he were in last year's draft, suter and phaneuf would still have been picked before him. coburn is a toss up.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Jay Bouwmeester was one of the best players I have seen play in the WHL in a long, long time. He was practically a fourth forward during most games. Barker is no way near as good as Jay-Bo offensively. However, I believe the only part of his game that is better is that he uses his size more. But in no way, is Barker a better prospect than Bouwmeester was, nor will he turn out to be a better NHLer.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Sethis said:
Have you seen him play?

1. J-Bo
2. Suter
3. Pitkanen
4. Barker
5. Whitney
6. Komisarek

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
:banghead:

This thread is driving me crazy! I own Barkers rights in my fantasy pool. I've only seen him play on TV in the Memorial Cup so I rely on alot of these forums to gauge what type of player he is and will be. Half of everything I read says he's awesome and the other half say he's very overated!?!

:help:

Having said that....if you owned his rights, would you try & trade him OR hold onto him because he'll develop into a top 4 (possible top 2) defencemen.

Thanks

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
IAMCANADIAN said:
:banghead:

This thread is driving me crazy! I own Barkers rights in my fantasy pool. I've only seen him play on TV in the Memorial Cup so I rely on alot of these forums to gauge what type of player he is and will be. Half of everything I read says he's awesome and the other half say he's very overated!?!

:help:

Having said that....if you owned his rights, would you try & trade him OR hold onto him because he'll develop into a top 4 (possible top 2) defencemen.

Thanks

He will become a 1st defenseman. A star in the league. I'd keep him that's for sure.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
markov` said:
He will become a 1st defenseman. A star in the league. I'd keep him that's for sure.

making guarantees like that in this day and age is pretty foolish, though. there aren't many 'can't-miss' prospects. look back at the first round of pretty much any draft, and you'll find many guys that never played a game in the NHL.

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
luongofan said:
Man, Phaneuf is getting no respect in this thread. IMO, he is probably the 3rd or 4th best dman out of the past 3 drafts.

I hate that. Read the thread. He didn't ask for a list of the best defensive prospects so don't get upset. He asked how Barker compares to a SPECIFIC list of prospects so he can get a rough idea of how good he is. Calm down.

Prucha73

So just how good is Barker? Is he a sure thing future #1 defenseman in NHL? Is he great defensively? Is he very mean and physical? Does he have great speed and quickness?

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
I'm a little confused here. Many, many posts suggest the idea of trading up to get this guy, yet before he's played 1 NHL game so many are saying he's not that good/not gonna make it. All I know is, he's rated the #1 D-guy in this year's draft, no question. Pretty difficult to rate him against current NHL'ers & prospects 2-3 yrs older, don't ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->