Bowman needs to be fired tonight

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
price lundqvist bishop rask smith bobrovski luongo quick holtby fluery rinne all good maybe dubnyk gibson ....dont know what the argument is but just thought i would chime in

It was goalies that have been really good from 2012-2013 through 2017-2018.

Smith...really?

Gibson is still really you but he looks like the real deal.

Quick's had quite a few average seasons.

Dubnyk has not been good in playoffs (consistently).

Agree with Price, Holtby, Lundqvist, and Fluery though.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
price lundqvist bishop rask smith bobrovski luongo quick holtby fluery rinne all good maybe dubnyk gibson ....dont know what the argument is but just thought i would chime in
Price has had awful seasons and has had awful playoffs
Lundqvist was great, he's fairly average now a days
Bishop what has he done exactly?
Rask is a playoff fodder and hasn't had great seasons recently.
Smith? Really?
Bobrovsky, another resume filled with playoff failure, not so great this year either
7uon8o? ...enough said
Quick? Look at 2013-14 vs us? He has also faltered in other playoff series over the years This year he hasn't been great and is injury prone lately. One of the better ones in his day though.
Holtby - one of the better goalies now, has had inconsistencies in the past
Fleury - do you not remember the old PIT days where he was single handily losing games in the playoffs for PIT?
Rinne - everyone knows that he is as hot and cold as they get
Dubynk - has he ever beat the Hawks in the playoffs? Has he ever even been a worry to Hawk fans when facing the Wild in the playoffs?
Gibson, jury is out, but looks young and promising to be the next great goalie.

All goalies, while good to great, have had their issues in the past. Every goalie has.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
How do you even know yet? The guy has barely had any practices with the team, let alone an off-season or training camp. We've got a core of guys that have played the same way over almost 10 years, probably should have had their tactics adjusted and adapted gradually over the last few years but didn't, and are now getting a crash course on the fly.

I thought Stan (and McD) ****ed up royally in how they presented the coaching change, because they shouldn't have made playoffs the goal.

This team isn't a playoff team under JC, it's not a playoff team under Q, it's not a playoff team under prime Scotty Bowman. It's not good enough. Which is ok... look at the Kings and the Penguins, 8 of the last 9 cup winners are outside the playoffs right now because a cap system makes you pay the bill for winning. So be transparent with your fans, tell them there's going to be a rough ride til you reload, and get back at it. Don't basically sell the new guy as the key to making the playoffs when there's like a 1% fluke chance that happens.
We have this debate frequently on our board. In my opinion, the cap system doesn't make you pay for winning. What the cap system should make a good GM do is recognize the ride is over and the window closes much quicker.

The Kings had a great 3-year run. Lombardi should have admitted the run was over for the Kings core after the 2014-15 season and moved on from our core. Should have never signed Kopitar to the ridiculous 8-year, $80M deal he gave him, but Luc Robitaille got involved and a player in management almost always sees it from the player's point of view. Big checks should not be written to forwards whose contracts will not be up until they are 35-38 years of age. Every metric out there shows you they are not worth it once they are 33-34 years of age, and for some of them it's even younger.

I'm guessing Hawk fans can identify the players the Bowman made similar mistakes with with their roster.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
We have this debate frequently on our board. In my opinion, the cap system doesn't make you pay for winning. What the cap system should make a good GM do is recognize the ride is over and the window closes much quicker.

The Kings had a great 3-year run. Lombardi should have admitted the run was over for the Kings core after the 2014-15 season and moved on from our core. Should have never signed Kopitar to the ridiculous 8-year, $80M deal he gave him, but Luc Robitaille got involved and a player in management almost always sees it from the player's point of view. Big checks should not be written to forwards whose contracts will not be up until they are 35-38 years of age. Every metric out there shows you they are not worth it once they are 33-34 years of age, and for some of them it's even younger.

I'm guessing Hawk fans can identify the players the Bowman made similar mistakes with with their roster.
Oh yeah, we recognize all the f*** ups. Hopefully Bowman makes up for one of them by getting Panarin back this summer and hopefully we can beat you guys out for Hughes' services. Our ability to tank is just too great, even against you LA TankKings!

Reactions: Rooh

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh yeah, we recognize all the **** ups. Hopefully Bowman makes up for one of them by getting Panarin back this summer and hopefully we can beat you guys out for Hughes' services. Our ability to tank is just too great, even against you LA TankKings!
If Pittsburgh is a lottery team I am concerned. We all know what happens whenever there is a generational talent to be had in the draft when they aren't a playoff team.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If Pittsburgh is a lottery team I am concerned. We all know what happens whenever there is a generational talent to be had in the draft when they aren't a playoff team.
I've had a few simulations go their way on Tankathon and was scared for the potential future. Them with Crosby, Malkin, and Hughes as their depth up the middle is horrifying to think about.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Interesting Scott Powers article today. He spoke to a lot of people about “what’s next” for the franchise. A few of his sources addressed Bowman.

Here’s Pierre LeBrun:

“Let me start with a conversation I recently had with a rival NHL GM who couldn’t believe the arrows Stan Bowman has been taking. The GM said Bowman doesn’t get nearly enough credit for the way he finessed the cap and re-modeled the Hawks numerous times en route to three Cups. His point was that what’s happening now is just reality for championships teams in the cap era. Looks at Pittsburgh and Los Angeles this season as well. You pay a price for winning too long. You re-up your core with deserved yet cap-challenging contracts. It gives you so much less leeway. You can’t miss on top draft picks. Anyway, I’m just passing this on because the GM in question said the Hawks would be crazy to fire Bowman.”

League source No. 3

“They have already fired the coach, made a big trade and signed veterans that are underperforming. You have lost your core group of leaders because the roster is not good enough and guys are frustrated. Yes, it’s been a great run. You’ve won three Stanley Cups, but the party has to end sometime. It’s time for a new direction. How much longer can John McDonough support Stan Bowman? All of his moves in recent years have gone badly. Even trading Nick Schmaltz recently, I agree he should have been traded, but you should have waited and gotten more at the deadline. It’s become harder to excuse.”

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Check out Powers’ article today in the Athletic. A nice combo of veteran writers and unnamed league sources giving their takes on what the franchise should do, most of it rational and grounded takes.

I did read it but thanks for sharing, no less. Issue I have with people like JJ is there's an agenda there and that removes any element of objectivity and, subsequently, credibility.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I did read it but thanks for sharing, no less. Issue I have with people like JJ is there's an agenda there and that removes any element of objectivity and, subsequently, credibility.
I used to like JJ but he sounds a lot like Chief. I don't think Laz has any credibility either.
These are the unholy triumvirate of Hawks talking heads. They deserve to be ignored and ridiculed.
Anyone who thinks that Q didn't need to go knows nothing about hockey. There, I said it.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I used to like JJ but he sounds a lot like Chief. I don't think Laz has any credibility either.
These are the unholy triumvirate of Hawks talking heads. They deserve to be ignored and ridiculed.
Anyone who thinks that Q didn't need to go knows nothing about hockey. There, I said it.

Never been much of a fan of Laz, either. Even worse now that he's with The Athletic and has more creative freedom.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
All I can say is that I'd hate for Stan to be allowed to make trades at the deadline only to get whacked in April. It is really hard to see him surviving this season, especially because the meathead portion of the fanbase is calling for his head and Q has morphed into Ditka as soon as he got whacked.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
All I can say is that I'd hate for Stan to be allowed to make trades at the deadline only to get whacked in April. It is really hard to see him surviving this season, especially because the meathead portion of the fanbase is calling for his head and Q has morphed into Ditka as soon as he got whacked.
agreed, which is why he isn't going anywhere. you don't draft Boqvist at #8 if you feared your job could be over by years end...

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
agreed, which is why he isn't going anywhere. you don't draft Boqvist at #8 if you feared your job could be over by years end...
He's earned 2-3 years to attempt to get this fixed/headed in the right direction, IMO. I will say this, he has to have brass balls in multiple facets to get this back on track. He can't be afraid to ruffle feathers, whether that be in the stands or dressing room.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

That and he just lies. He has no source “an NHL” exec told me bs. He is just another Eklund. Article like that are annoying because he doesn’t back anything up and just speculates. “

Last edited:

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Never been much of a fan of Laz, either. Even worse now that he's with The Athletic and has more creative freedom.

One of Laz's more recent articles in the Athletic was a new level of idiocy. He basically went back through Stan Bowman's moves over the past few years and said what he would have done to make his ideal team, which involved things like:

- Predicting that Bickell had MS and not trading away TT with him
- Keeping Kempny as a 2nd pairing D, but not firing Q at the same time because he obviously played him so much while he was here
- Keeping Hammer because Q "stormed out of the room when he heard he got traded", even though he's fallen off a cliff since getting to Arizona
- Basically ignoring the cap at any and every opportunity

I try to not be a Bowman fanboy too much and split the blame for this current mess pretty evenly, but holy cow Laz's love affair with Q has been insufferable since he got fired, as has Edzo's and Pat Foley's.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
He's earned 2-3 years to attempt to get this fixed/headed in the right direction, IMO. I will say this, he has to have brass balls in multiple facets to get this back on track. He can't be afraid to ruffle feathers, whether that be in the stands or dressing room.
2-3 years it too much IMO. At most I'd give him 1.5 years at most. If things aren't looking up after next year then he should go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad