News Article: Bowey on Waivers

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
As I recall, there was talk that Holland demanded Bowey in the Jensen trade. And, I think he was highly regarded in Washington at one time.
He was very highly regarded before he stepped foot on NHL ice and showed everyone he has no clue how to play D. The Caps would have had to waive a defenseman to do the Jensen trade, so it was probably a mutual decision to throw in Bowey instead of waiving him. Plus it was a righty for righty trade that benefited both teams at the time.

However, I'm beginning to think keeping Jensen would have been the right move, especially at $2.5M AAV which is a reasonable contract for a 4/5D. The fear here was that he would demand much more since he was playing 20+ min per game as top line D due to Green's illness.

Reactions: Go Wings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Anybody can be regarded as a hockey guy if they care enough to take the time to build a opinion that they can support. Specifically why Prashanth is regarded as a hockey guy is because he watches a lot of hockey and enjoys getting into the stories that the data tells him, and further he can articulate his point and share with people what he finds interesting. I'm sure people (like Ricelund) discredit him for the amount of faith he places in analytics, but you of all people should understand that process considering your propensity to lean on per 60 metrics to illustrate some of your feelings on players.

Right...And I actually do respect Iyer's takes.
I just don't get why anyone copies and pastes his tweets in here...
And that's kind of my point.
An analytics guy says "Didn't expect Bowey on waivers, but not surprised."
Why paste that?
First of all, we knew someone had to go.. whether it was Biega, McIlrath, Cholo or Bowey, we knew...
And is anyone surprised it's Bowey at all?
Secondly, there's no analysis -- no data, no stats - that sort of back his point.

So what's the point of copying and pasting that tweet?
I posted my retweet to show how useless it was.

When Iyer posts tweets like:

or

I pay attention.

When he posts things like

Man - 1/2 the people on this forum have as much credibility.

Reactions: newfy

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Such a cold move by Yzerman... before playing back-to-back games in his hometown.

But think this alone turns him off the Red Wings, or he gets traded for sure. I thought personally he was playing very well for them, would've wanted him on the Jets as a Buff replacement.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Such a cold move by Yzerman... before playing back-to-back games in his hometown.

But think this alone turns him off the Red Wings, or he gets traded for sure. I thought personally he was playing very well for them, would've wanted him on the Jets as a Buff replacement.

Cholowski was scratched when we went to his hometown. I think Svech was also scratched/waived before we played his big brother. These are not unheard of moves.
So, Cold? No, this is a business move.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Is this trolling?

Bowey as a Buff replacement would be like Pavelec as a Hasek replacement... :help::help::help::help:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

I'm not talking too much trash man but the amount of give away's this guy has pulled off in our own zone is borderline unbelievable. You MUST have seen his play during an off night he scored or something. Really, he's been bad, he needs to work on exiting his own zone and not giving up giveaways in his own zone. He's been scratched 2 nights in a row so obviously coaches aren't impressed either. (Not that it's helped much)

Just saying man, not sure you really would like this guy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Traded for what? He's on waivers, any team can have him for free.

… and if he clears waivers, it means nobody wants him.

Unless the team plans to convert him to a winger, I'm not sure he's worth another contract. He has the lowest hockey IQ of any D-man I have watched in the past decade or so.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Traded for what? He's on waivers, any team can have him for free.

… and if he clears waivers, it means nobody wants him.

Unless the team plans to convert him to a winger, I'm not sure he's worth another contract. He has the lowest hockey IQ of any D-man I have watched in the past decade or so.
Not necessarily. Another team may have interest now that they can stash him on their AHL team until needed. Or they don't want to take on another contract without sending one out (teams are limited to 50 contracts) and might trade for him if the Red Wings take an unwanted contract off of their hands (this is why Detroit traded Pope for Biega instead of claiming him).

But realistically, I doubt anyone is going to trade for him given his poor play and the fact that he is making $1M this year (which is a couple hundred thousand more for than comparable AHL/NHL tweeners).

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Virtually every team in the NHL has roster plans.
Even a shit team like the Wings have Svech and other guys down in GR who could be callups. So there's not a ton of room to take on other teams' castoffs

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not necessarily. Another team may have interest now that they can stash him on their AHL team until needed. Or they don't want to take on another contract without sending one out (teams are limited to 50 contracts) and might trade for him if the Red Wings take an unwanted contract off of their hands (this is why Detroit traded Pope for Biega instead of claiming him).

But realistically, I doubt anyone is going to trade for him given his poor play and the fact that he is making $1M this year (which is a couple hundred thousand more for than comparable AHL/NHL tweeners).
The team had contract space (47) but it also had a full roster when Biega went on waivers. Stevie took Biega because a bunch of D went on IR due to illness, infection, or injury. Biega is not a player even our team would want when fully healthy.

Sure, someone could trade for Bowey as an AHL player, but I was really talking NHL trade.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Nothing cold about the move - just timing of Daley coming back and Bowey odd man out.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
The team had contract space (47) but it also had a full roster when Biega went on waivers. Stevie took Biega because a bunch of D went on IR due to illness, infection, or injury. Biega is not a player even our team would want when fully healthy.

Sure, someone could trade for Bowey as an AHL player, but I was really talking NHL trade.
Teams try to keep a few spots open during the year to sign overseas players, college free-agents, their own draft picks, make a trade, or claim a player off of waivers if the opportunity arises. Most teams dislike being close to the limit because of how it limits their flexibility - currently only one team is at 49 contracts and nine more are at 48. Over two-thirds of the league is at 47 or fewer contracts currently.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Teams try to keep a few spots open during the year to sign overseas players, college free-agents, their own draft picks, make a trade, or claim a player off of waivers if the opportunity arises. Most teams dislike being close to the limit because of how it limits their flexibility - currently only one team is at 49 contracts and nine more are at 48. Over two-thirds of the league is at 47 or fewer contracts currently.
This team isn't going to sign more than 2 players before the end of the season. The draft picks can be signed in July when a bunch of contracts expire.

Contract limit isn't why Biega wasn't picked up, the team didn't need him when he was on waivers. Then the injuries happened....

But I do agree Stevie sent Pope the other way, not only because of the contract limit, but GR roster space as well.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Honest question. Have you watched Bowey on a regular basis playing on the Wings?

I'm not talking too much trash man but the amount of give away's this guy has pulled off in our own zone is borderline unbelievable. You MUST have seen his play during an off night he scored or something. Really, he's been bad, he needs to work on exiting his own zone and not giving up giveaways in his own zone. He's been scratched 2 nights in a row so obviously coaches aren't impressed either. (Not that it's helped much)

Just saying man, not sure you really would like this guy.

I watched a few, mostly if the Jets weren't on and the Red Wings were playing and had the time. Also on the scoresheet, he put up good numbers. Like when the Red Wings got dominated by the Rangers he played 20 minutes and wasn't responsible for the loss, if anything played some amazing hockey and was one of the best players on the ice, not to mention other games he played lots of minutes and was minus one. I just remember thinking he'd be good for the Jets RHD if Detroit doesn't want him. I mean yes I do see some of the little things in his game, he's an excellent skater, good shot from the point, Buff I know had struggles with giveaways like Bowey does which is his biggest NHL weakpoint, but he did play well with Morrissey at the World Juniors and WHL so that's why I'd love to see him on the Jets, plus him being from Winnipeg and the lack of D on our team would make sense to have picked him up when he was on waivers.

I will admit, I did watch the Toronto/Detroit game and he didn't play terrible, but Toronto just had a really good team. Detroit doesn't have too much of a supporting cast, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Larkin have been their best players so far this season.

I'm not calling Madison Bowey the next great defenseman of anything, for all I know he might of finally reached his ceiling, but I thought he did well for the Red Wings.

Found Bowey to be much better than McIlrath, who does have a 1D upside, but his skating is terrible and is only really good physically. If McIlrath was a much better skater than I'd think he'd be one of the top Defensive Defenseman in the NHL.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I watched a few, mostly if the Jets weren't on and the Red Wings were playing and had the time. Also on the scoresheet, he put up good numbers. Like when the Red Wings got dominated by the Rangers he played 20 minutes and wasn't responsible for the loss, if anything played some amazing hockey and was one of the best players on the ice, not to mention other games he played lots of minutes and was minus one. I just remember thinking he'd be good for the Jets RHD if Detroit doesn't want him. I mean yes I do see some of the little things in his game, he's an excellent skater, good shot from the point, Buff I know had struggles with giveaways like Bowey does which is his biggest NHL weakpoint, but he did play well with Morrissey at the World Juniors and WHL so that's why I'd love to see him on the Jets, plus him being from Winnipeg and the lack of D on our team would make sense to have picked him up when he was on waivers.

I will admit, I did watch the Toronto/Detroit game and he didn't play terrible, but Toronto just had a really good team. Detroit doesn't have too much of a supporting cast, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Larkin have been their best players so far this season.

I'm not calling Madison Bowey the next great defenseman of anything, for all I know he might of finally reached his ceiling, but I thought he did well for the Red Wings.

Found Bowey to be much better than McIlrath, who does have a 1D upside, but his skating is terrible and is only really good physically. If McIlrath was a much better skater than I'd think he'd be one of the top Defensive Defenseman in the NHL.

Bowey was hot garbage 75% of the shifts he had at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad