News Article: Bowey on Waivers

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nick Jensen is still plugging along for the Caps. He provides no offense, but he logs a lot of minutes at ES and on the PK.

Which is what we used to say his ceiling kind of was when he was developing as a prospect. His skating allows him to log a lot of minutes. Pretty simple player and that is okay on D a lot of the times.

Reactions: RedMenace

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Which is what we used to say his ceiling kind of was when he was developing as a prospect. His skating allows him to log a lot of minutes. Pretty simple player and that is okay on D a lot of the times.
He's not really getting that much, 17 min/game. The Caps have Carlson who's on the ice half the game.

Jensen is #4D, behind Carlson, Kempny (by virtue of being Carlson's partner, not really good with any other partner), and Orlov.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fair play.

I honestly don't think he is, but then again Smitty was given several years to "pan out."

Smith also got doghoused badly by Babcock, who gave Smith no slack at all. Every even mediocre game he was in the pressbox, so another worse defender could show him how to do it. I am not normally one for blaming the coach for a player being bad or ruined, but I always felt that Babcock just didn't like the kid and he never really let him play consistently.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Bowey is a guy that once every 6 or 7 games makes you think he could be a top 4 guy one day, but for much of the others he is incapable of tracking his man, coughs the puck in his own zone for no reason, wanders off to random locations and gives up odd penalties. As described, he's a budget Brendan Smith. Slightly less tools, slightly better in the o-zone, even more lacking in defensive nous everywhere else. Smith was at least a good puck-lugger who stepped it up in the playoffs and would occasionally lay guys out with hits.

A shame. I like Bowey's personality, and he has a lot of good raw materials, but not everyone can be coached certain things. He might go down and learn how to play a safer game and return as an ok #6, but its more likely the NHL isn't for him

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
We're hoping he gets claimed right?
Why would we want him to get claimed when he could be down in GR filling in for Seider?

@ThankGord probably with the best answer.

With Seider going to the WJC and Sarijaarvi gone, GR is pretty thin on D depth. Lashoff and Hicketts are the sole "vets", joined by two rookies in Kaski and Lindstrom, and two call ups from Toledo.

-Biega and McIlrath would've needed waivers again to go back down, and while nowhere near regular dmen on a contender, they've been better than Bowey.

-Hronek and Cholowski are still waiver exempt, but they obviously aren't going to send down their best Dman and Cholowski has been OK enough to stick around the NHL level, and obviously better than Bowey...

-The one exception is that Ericsson is still clear to go down for another 5 days or so. However, him going to GR doesn't do them any favors. With the recent addition of Tangradi, the Griffins are now at the maximum 6 veterans (Lashoff, Elson, Ford, Puempel, Terry and Tangradi). Ericsson would make 7, which means they have to scratch one of those guys. Given the Griffins need to win some games, I doubt they want to scratch one of their vet forwards. CORRECTION: McIlrath fits this category as well since he was waived and cleared again a couple weeks ago.

Thanks to the Caps sitting Bowey in the pressbox a lot, he won't meet the threshold as an AHL vet until next season, so they can insert him into the line up without scratching anyone else.

I'm going to guess that Bowey's "$300k higher than what you should pay a dman who sits in the press box for the worst team in the league" cap hit and eventual QO (that would cost at least the same) probably scare off teams from placing a claim. That's opposed to Biega and McIlrath, whose experience and lower costs might be more attractive to a team looking to claim a Dman.

Then again, given the Red Wings placement in the claim order, he could easily be reclaimed if he doesn't work out with a new team and heads back to waivers, so there's no strings attached.

Bowey's last stint in the AHL saw him put up 2G and 8P in 9 games, so he can probably only help the Griffins at this point.

EDIT: Initially forgot McIlrath had been waived and cleared again late last month.

Last edited:

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
@ThankGord probably with the best answer.

With Seider going to the WJC and Sarijaarvi gone, GR is pretty thin on D depth. Lashoff and Hicketts are the sole "vets", joined by two rookies in Kaski and Lindstrom, and two call ups from Toledo.

-Biega and McIlrath would've needed waivers again to go back down, and while nowhere near regular dmen on a contender, they've been better than Bowey.

-Hronek and Cholowski are still waiver exempt, but they obviously aren't going to send down their best Dman and Cholowski has been OK enough to stick around the NHL level, and obviously better than Bowey...

-The one exception is that Ericsson is still clear to go down for another 5 days or so. However, him going to GR doesn't do them any favors. With the recent addition of Tangradi, the Griffins are now at the maximum 6 veterans (Lashoff, Elson, Ford, Puempel, Terry and Tangradi). Ericsson would make 7, which means they have to scratch one of those guys. Given the Griffins need to win some games, I doubt they want to scratch one of their vet forwards.

Thanks to the Caps sitting Bowey in the pressbox a lot, he won't meet the threshold as an AHL vet until next season, so they can insert him into the line up without scratching anyone else.

I'm going to guess that Bowey's "$300k higher than what you should pay a dman who sits in the press box for the worst team in the league" cap hit and eventual QO (that would cost at least the same) probably scare off teams from placing a claim. That's opposed to Biega and McIlrath, whose experience and lower costs might be more attractive to a team looking to claim a Dman.

Then again, given the Red Wings placement in the claim order, he could easily be reclaimed if he doesn't work out with a new team and heads back to waivers, so there's no strings attached.

Bowey's last stint in the AHL saw him put up 2G and 8P in 9 games, so he can probably only help the Griffins at this point.

The extremely informative and expanded version of my answer, thank you haha

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
With all due respect to Mr. Prashanth, I wouldn't take his opinions for anything more than they are: opinions. He crunches numbers, and is on a podcast, but otherwise I don't really see any more insight than anyone here.

Regarding the waiving, it's about time. I'd have to think someone might take a stab at him, but I don't know who's really hurting for defense. Bowey, honestly, is another Brendan Smith.

Honestly.
I don't get why Iyer is regarded as a hockey guy.
The Athletic's ideas on hockey coverage... man.... I don't know.
I can't imagine a worst time to try to convince people to listen to two people blather on about the Red Wings.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Honestly.
I can't imagine a worst time to try to convince people to listen to two people blather on about the Red Wings.
Iyer's (sort of) a numbers/analytics guy that puts way too much stock into numbers and analytics.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Honestly.

Anybody can be regarded as a hockey guy if they care enough to take the time to build a opinion that they can support. Specifically why Prashanth is regarded as a hockey guy is because he watches a lot of hockey and enjoys getting into the stories that the data tells him, and further he can articulate his point and share with people what he finds interesting. I'm sure people (like Ricelund) discredit him for the amount of faith he places in analytics, but you of all people should understand that process considering your propensity to lean on per 60 metrics to illustrate some of your feelings on players.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Whether he has a future here or not I hope he goes unclaimed because GR could use his offense. I’m actually looking forward to Daley returning. Our young guys like Cholo and Hronek need a stabilizing presence that can make a first pass. It’s good for their development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->