News Article: Bowey on Waivers

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Either Yzerman wants to keep him but believes he can get away with sending him down and nobody claiming him, or he has zero trade value. I feel like the perception of him is that he not going to get much better, if this is the case, players like that dont generally have much trade value.

Think it's more than likely that he just doesn't have any trade value and that's it.

Reactions: kliq

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
On a team with better dmen to insulate him he would do fine. Has some good skating and decent offensive instincts to be a sheltered player. On our defence the shelter isn’t there and he looks especially bad as a result.

I dont know about that anymore honestly. I liked him last year and thought he could log some minutes and get confident this year but hes bad. This defense is too bad to shelter anyone but hes been outplayed by Biega and McIlrath who have also not been sheltered. Bowey has consistently stood out as bad on the worst D in the league, this move isnt surprising at all

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I dont know about that anymore honestly. I liked him last year and thought he could log some minutes and get confident this year but hes bad. This defense is too bad to shelter anyone but hes been outplayed by Biega and McIlrath who have also not been sheltered. Bowey has consistently stood out as bad on the worst D in the league, this move isnt surprising at all
Yup, if the Caps couldn't shelter him, no team is going to be able.

Aside from turnovers and bad outlet passes, he simply doesn't understand coverage. Gets caught watching the puck while opponents skate right by him, leaving guys wide open at the doorstep.

He needs more time in the AHL, to either understand that defensemen are supposed to cover opponents or to convert to RW.

Even if he gets claimed, he's going to get waived as soon as he plays a coupe of games. He's that bad, which is unfortunate because I had high hopes for him.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
@iyer_prashanth
·
52m
Not a move I was expecting but makes sense in the long run

With all due respect to Mr. Prashanth, I wouldn't take his opinions for anything more than they are: opinions. He crunches numbers, and is on a podcast, but otherwise I don't really see any more insight than anyone here.

Regarding the waiving, it's about time. I'd have to think someone might take a stab at him, but I don't know who's really hurting for defense. Bowey, honestly, is another Brendan Smith.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
With all due respect to Mr. Prashanth, I wouldn't take his opinions for anything more than they are: opinions. He crunches numbers, and is on a podcast, but otherwise I don't really see any more insight than anyone here.

Regarding the waiving, it's about time. I'd have to think someone might take a stab at him, but I don't know who's really hurting for defense. Bowey, honestly, is another Brendan Smith.
That's an insult to Brendan. Bowey is considerably worse.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am okay with this I am glad we gave him a try but also glad the team will move on when someone doesn't add value.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nick Jensen is still plugging along for the Caps. He provides no offense, but he logs a lot of minutes at ES and on the PK.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Bowey's trade value is absolutely zero.

But he could be the guy who'll match the criteria for expansion draft guy having played 70 games in two seasons before the draft.

Like, there has to be one. You can't protect everybody.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Bowey's trade value is absolutely zero.

But he could be the guy who'll match the criteria for expansion draft guy having played 70 games in two seasons before the draft.

Like, there has to be one. You can't protect everybody.

Don't see him playing 70 games between this season and next, tbh. In fact, he's an RFA after this season and I'm unconvinced he gets a contract. Someone else will have to serve that role. Maybe we re-sign Nemeth for that purpose.

I think the Bowey experiment is over. It was worth a shot, but he's just not a player.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Don't see him playing 70 games between this season and next, tbh. In fact, he's an RFA after this season and I'm unconvinced he gets a contract. Someone else will have to serve that role. Maybe we re-sign Nemeth for that purpose.

I think the Bowey experiment is over. It was worth a shot, but he's just not a player.

Was thinking the same thing, Nemeth will probably have to fill that role as one of the only defensemen we have that can stay healthy enough to play 70.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah it could be Biega or McIlrath too.

I'd like to keep Nemeth as UFA outside the expansion and re-sign him to play after that. He has been the healthy version of good Ericsson lately.

Reactions: NotLeddy

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Yeah it could be Biega or McIlrath too.

I'd like to keep Nemeth as UFA outside the expansion and re-sign him to play after that. He has been the healthy version of good Ericsson lately.

Actually this is why Nemeth makes a lot of sense. We re-sign him at some point next season, giving him a small bump in salary, and there's no way he's going to be claimed. That's a win-win. Biega could of course work but he's a UFA after this season. We'd have to bring him back on a two year deal, or sign him this summer and then again before the draft. Possible but not too likely I think. McIlrath is like Nemeth, he's a UFA after next season. We probably don't sign him just to make him available and hope he's taken.

I don't know. We've got a year to worry about that. All I'm pretty certain of is that Bowey looks out of the picture. It appears Bowey could be headed to GR while Ericsson stays up, and that says a lot about his future here.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Waivers has stopped being exciting. No one ever gets claimed, just like Restricted Free Agency.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Waivers has stopped being exciting. No one ever gets claimed, just like Restricted Free Agency.

It still happens. The Jets put in a claim on Dec 4th, for Nick Shore from Toronto. Maybe it is just that our players absolutely suck, so when they get put on waivers they pass right through making it seem like nobody gets claimed anymore.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
On a team with better dmen to insulate him he would do fine. Has some good skating and decent offensive instincts to be a sheltered player. On our defence the shelter isn’t there and he looks especially bad as a result.

If that were true Washington never would have given him up. Some players are just not meant to play on the NHL.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I haven’t watched the Wings much this year, but in that last game against the Leafs, Bowey had one of the very worst performances I’ve ever seen from a Red Wing

Reactions: Filppula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad