Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
That's what makes his list even worse IMO. If you're projecting for guys who will have better careers. How on Earth does Matthew Tkachuk rank ahead of Svechnikov. There's a real possibility Svech is the best winger in the game within 2-3 years, he's a super stud and would have been a slam dunk #1 overall pick in his draft year if it wasn't for the thought to be generational defender in the same draft year.

Likewise with Brady Tkachuk, I dont see how anyone can honestly believe Brady will have a better career then both Heiskanen and Makar.

And they you have McAvoy who is already a Top pairing, bordering on #1D in the league and you rank him all the way down at #24?

Just a really bad list IMO.

Like i said, i don't agree with a lot of his picks.

But at least explains Byram ahead of Girard.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Read PIMs instead of points... :help:

None the less he put up the same amount of points this year and 77 points the year prior (I triple checked), I also view him as a better overall player as to me he has more intangibles. Again I’m not saying Svech isn’t close and long term won’t be better, but it’s not egregious to have Tkachuk ahead.
I don’t know. Brindamour has made Svech a very well rounded player. He’s pretty underrated defensively and Tkachuks “grit” is pretty overrated. We’ve all seen how he performs in the playoffs when grit is needed most... and he shies off a lot when contested.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
People get so touchy on lists. :laugh:

Today it is hated, but tomorrow when we need to justify how good Jost is in a trade, we'll use it!

Reactions: Perratrooper

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I don’t know. Brindamour has made Svech a very well rounded player. He’s pretty underrated defensively and Tkachuks “grit” is pretty overrated. We’ve all seen how he performs in the playoffs when grit is needed most... and he shies off a lot when contested.
Svechnikov is far more complete player than Tkachuck.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Svechnikov is far more complete player than Tkachuck.

Yea, Svech is a monster. He showed during this playoffs that he was willing to get into the dirty areas and try to be chippy (I don't think it's a natural part of his game), which was a big mark against him last year. Kids got elite offensive skills and has all the tools to be really good defensively.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
But nah, I definitely wouldn't trade Byram for him. It's easy to say yes right now with Brady putting together a couple solid years in the NHL already while Byram hasn't made the jump yet. But you really gotta remember Byram has legit top pairing upside and I'm sure lots of people still think he has #1 upside and even some folks who believe he has higher upside then Makar right now. I think its very fair to say Byram right now is a better prospect then Makar was at the same age.

What is Byrams toolset that gives him higher upside than Makar?

I don't watch prospects play or read the scouting reports so its interesting to see Byram has higher upside.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
People get so touchy on lists. :laugh:

Today it is hated, but tomorrow when we need to justify how good Jost is in a trade, we'll use it!

It’s a terrible list. For a hockey journalist to believe that Brady Tkachuk is going to have a better career than Cale Makar is a joke.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It’s just discussion on a hockey forum. It’s what we do.

I actually think it’s great Pronman does the list to give people something to banter about.
Yeah, but people just resorts to ripping Pronman and calling him an idiot because 'our' player wasn't higher. Every fan base does that and it is a like clockwork when any of these lists come out. I would have Makar over Brady, but Brady is a very good hockey player. He's going to be a 35-40g guy who is PPG and captains a hockey team for a decade and plays good defense. That is a very valuable player and worthy of being ranked highly.

I don't agree with Pronman on a lot. We certainly see skills differently and value different things. But he puts in the work to get his evaluations, admits when he's wrong, and actually publishes his list for all to see and critique. He gets paid for it now, but he got his start not getting paid and still getting ripped for his opinion. If everybody here put up their list, there would be a number of laughable rankings in every one of them.

Reactions: avsfan09 and Avs_19

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, but people just resorts to ripping Pronman and calling him an idiot because 'our' player wasn't higher. Every fan base does that and it is a like clockwork when any of these lists come out. I would have Makar over Brady, but Brady is a very good hockey player. He's going to be a 35-40g guy who is PPG and captains a hockey team for a decade and plays good defense. That is a very valuable player and worthy of being ranked highly.

I don't agree with Pronman on a lot. We certainly see skills differently and value different things. But he puts in the work to get his evaluations, admits when he's wrong, and actually publishes his list for all to see and critique. He gets paid for it now, but he got his start not getting paid and still getting ripped for his opinion. If everybody here put up their list, there would be a number of laughable rankings in every one of them.

If you’re going to put out a list you need to be ready to receive praise and criticism. It is what it is.

I’m not as high on Tkachuk as you are. I see 30 goal potential. Not sure I see him hitting 40. I also don’t think he’s that good of a playmaker.

I’m not sure why we all have to praise him about his list. There’s clearly some positive rankings and some questionable choices.

Reactions: MarkT

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

People here are mentioning plenty of other players who are in... interesting places.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We have analytics for that get outta here!

As long as you don't watch the game, Jost looks great!

If you’re going to put out a list you need to be ready to receive praise and criticism. It is what it is.

I’m not as high on Tkachuk as you are. I see 30 goal potential. Not sure I see him hitting 40. I also don’t think he’s that good of a playmaker.

I’m not sure why we all have to praise him about his list. There’s clearly some positive rankings and some questionable choices.

And he is quite good with handling his criticism. Especially compared to most writers. I just see a lot of people just going to 'worst list evAr' 'Pronman can't evaluate' 'Pronman is a joke' comments that are basically recycled from Wheeler's list after the draft, that were recycled from Button's list, etc. People just like to jump on them and rip them as a group, and then group think starts to set in. Outside of Matthews and Dahlin, I probably would rank every single player differently, and I'd certainly have people calling me an idiot for who I ranked where.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think Byram has higher upside than Tkachuk, but I would make that trade today.

Even if Tkachuk only hits his floor he would be very nice to go along with the Avs current roster.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I would. Sens made the right call.
As of now I wouldnt. I do like Brady Tkachuk, he has a much more likeable face compared to his brothers ever so punchable face. I think Brady would fit in great on this Avs team.

But I still believe Bo has the opportunity to be exactly what the Avs need to pair with MacK in order to win 1 or more Cups. I think the Makar and Byram 1-2 punch, along with MacK, will be fascinating as a fan and hopefully develop to full potential.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pronman makes it clear that he is projecting who is going to have the better careers.

Then the only winger who should be ranked ahead of Makar is Laf. Not Kakko, not Svenchnikov, not Laine, not Tkachuk.

How on Earth are those players more special than Makar? Rantanen for example is nowhere near as special as Makar and is up there with those guys.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
As long as you don't watch the game, Jost looks great!

And he is quite good with handling his criticism. Especially compared to most writers. I just see a lot of people just going to 'worst list evAr' 'Pronman can't evaluate' 'Pronman is a joke' comments that are basically recycled from Wheeler's list after the draft, that were recycled from Button's list, etc. People just like to jump on them and rip them as a group, and then group think starts to set in. Outside of Matthews and Dahlin, I probably would rank every single player differently, and I'd certainly have people calling me an idiot for who I ranked where.

I don’t know if it’s ‘group think’.

I just don’t think many would have the Tkachuk’s as high as he ranked them.

Personally I’d have all of Makar, Hughes, and Heiskanen higher on the list then he has them.

I’m certainly not saying Pronman can’t evaluate. There are some very poor rankings on his list imo, and some good ones. Frankly it’s only a positive for Pronman that a lot of people are talking about his list.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Byram has higher upside than Tkachuk, but I would make that trade today.

Even if Tkachuk only hits his floor he would be very nice to go along with the Avs current roster.

Yeah Brady is getting those stats playing with crap linemates. He'd be making a lot more points if he had a decent center to play with.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t know if it’s ‘group think’.

I just don’t think many would have the Tkachuk’s as high as he ranked them.

Personally I’d have all of Makar, Hughes, and Heiskanen higher on the list then he has them.

I’m certainly not saying Pronman can’t evaluate. There are some very poor rankings on his list imo, and some good ones. Frankly it’s only a positive for Pronman that a lot of people are talking about his list.

Matthew would certainly be in my top 10... he's a PPG power forward who can pop in 30 goals... at 22. He's very worthy. I think Brady actually has a higher ceiling, but a bit more questionable to getting up there. Probably not in my top 10, but certainly top 20.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Matthew would certainly be in my top 10... he's a PPG power forward who can pop in 30 goals... at 22. He's very worthy. I think Brady actually has a higher ceiling, but a bit more questionable to getting up there. Probably not in my top 10, but certainly top 20.

Yeah, I’d be pretty similar to that. Matthew around 9/10, and Brady probably around 17/18.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
'Pronman is a joke' comments that are basically recycled from Wheeler's list after the draft, that were recycled from Button's list, etc.
This list is defensible on some level, at least for the most part. Button's list was fine.

Wheeler's prospect list was a crime against humanity. I'm sorry but it was just flamingly awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->