Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I want to see this big time
I don't know....

Byram is quite a bit younger than Makar was when he came into the playoffs for us last year. And I don't think he has that sturdy hockey strength that Makar did either (Makar isn't huge but he has that core strength like Mack does where he's very sturdy in his skates). Then there's the fact where I'm just not sure he's plain as good as Makar to make it look easy like Cale did when he jumped into the playoffs.

I personally still think he needs a good offseason of strength training before we can expect him at the NHL level, much less jump straight into the playoffs.

But don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about him as a prospect. He has Suter/Josi level potential I believe. I just think he needs a bit more time.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don't know....

Byram is quite a bit younger than Makar was when he came into the playoffs for us last year. And I don't think he has that sturdy hockey strength that Makar did either (Makar isn't huge but he has that core strength like Mack does where he's very sturdy in his skates). Then there's the fact where I'm just not sure he's plain as good as Makar to make it look easy like Cale did when he jumped into the playoffs.

I personally still think he needs a good offseason of strength training before we can expect him at the NHL level, much less jump straight into the playoffs.

But don't get me wrong, I'm super excited about him as a prospect. He has Suter/Josi level potential I believe. I just think he needs a bit more time.
If there’s an injury he could get a shot. I think Timmins should be given a shot first, and I expect him to get a few games before this season is over

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I don’t think there’s a realistic chance that Byram is going to be better than Makar. Makar has a whole other level of dynamacism, and his on ice vision is top notch.

I agree with this. I'm a huge Byram fan, wanted him the whole way once we lost the lottery. He's going to be a very good defenseman, potentially elite, but Makar has borderline generational raw tools. I hate using that word because it's used way too loosely, but his skating/shooting/physical profile is absolutely off the charts. I'd argue that Makar is actually under-utilizing his raw ability as he settles as the Avs top D. We see 2-3 times a game where he does what he wants, and I think you'll see more of that moving forward as he becomes comfortable with him responsibilities. He's going to absolutely electric in the playoffs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah a 2 PPG streak is impressive no matter who it is and the goals are actually 8 in 12 games. Could have had another but he passed up an empty net. He could still push 20 goals this year.

Makar is special, he’s a unicorn no doubt. Byram is special in his own way but he has that great skating, vision, hands and IQ too. I think he’s going to eventually take the EJ role, he’s just so easy to give a ton of minutes to. He’s excellent on the pk. He’s also the most aggressive offensive player of our Ds, obv things are different in the NHL but it’s in his nature to push things. In the WHL he has to constantly watch going offside because he jumps into the play and is so much faster than everyone else. Maybe it seems as if Byram is a luxury at this point but he will add so much to the Avs defense.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
It would be interesting to hear a scout's take on who BB projects as in the NHL. That is, what current player does his skill set match with? It is interesting watching the ebb and flow to his season. Newhook is on a similar tear, he is the 2nd leading freshman scorer on NCAA hockey. The person ahead of him is 2 years older. While their 2nd and 3rd round choices aren't exactly lighting it up, it looks like they hit on both of their firsts.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It would be interesting to hear a scout's take on who BB projects as in the NHL. That is, what current player does his skill set match with? It is interesting watching the ebb and flow to his season. Newhook is on a similar tear, he is the 2nd leading freshman scorer on NCAA hockey. The person ahead of him is 2 years older. While their 2nd and 3rd round choices aren't exactly lighting it up, it looks like they hit on both of their firsts.
He plays like Doughty, but I don't forsee him hitting Doughty levels though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes, the first two were fabulous primary assists showing off his vision. The other was a pp secondary. He was rolling last night, trying a lot of things.

Morgan Reilly is another comparison I’ve heard and he’s a fan of Morgan’s.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You know how we say Makar is defensemen Mackinnon?
Well every time I watch Bo Byram all I see is left handed defenesman Jack Eichel. A very scaled down version of course but the way he skates around the Ice looks just like Eichel to me.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Well every time I watch Bo Byram all I see is left handed defenesman Jack Eichel. A very scaled down version of course but the way he skates around the Ice looks just like Eichel to me.

Imagine the ridiculous offensive pressure with Makar, Girard and Byram skating across the ice. I wouldn't be surprised they're separated onto different lines and closely spread their TOI they remain stronger throughout the season.

Graves - Makar
Byram - Timmins
Girard - EJ

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Imagine the ridiculous offensive pressure with Makar, Girard and Byram skating across the ice. I wouldn't be surprised they're separated onto different lines and closely spread their TOI they remain stronger throughout the season.

Graves - Makar
Byram - Timmins
Girard - EJ

7E1CA02A-EEA6-4BF4-AD23-CA516DC04BF3.jpeg

Jeff_Dyck_#1

Est. MMII
Apr 11, 2005
HF since 1998

Graves - Makar
Byram - Timmins
Girard - EJ

Graves - Makar
Byram - Girard
Cole - Timmins
EJ

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Byram is a super smart kid, it comes off in his interviews and everything. It’s not just confidence, he’s very bright.

So... when he said that the Avs told him to focus on his defensive game this year after training camp, perhaps he took it to heart and really focused on that? Then once that side has shown maturation, particularly throughout the WJC, the Avs told him “okay now go back to showing the two-way style.” It’s not beyond any spectrum of reality that he didn’t focus much on offense to try and improve the defensive side.

This is a very quick kid, he gets it. He took the feedback and has shown his improvements.

Makar, Girard, and him are going to be a thing of beauty pushing offense.

He's definitely a smart kid.

You can see it on the ice too, he's one of the higher IQ defensemen in recent years. He just happens to have high end skills to go along with it.

But lmao @ Duchene. What a brilliant deal that was.

Hope you guys don't mind me joining some of your threads, but I love this team Sakic built. Can't stop watching it and it's prospects.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t think there’s a realistic chance that Byram is going to be better than Makar. Makar has a whole other level of dynamacism, and his on ice vision is top notch.

Yeah. Byram has done a great job this season, but there was no question with Cale that his explosiveness & hands would be special; even when sharing the ice with top tier NHLers. Bo's a great skater, but it's much less of guarantee that his tools will continue to set him apart from all but the super-elite at the next level...which is fine, as the rest of his game profiles to a great Makar partner even if he can't just pull away from 80% of forecheckers that try to chase him and his personality does seem like it'll be a welcome addition to the locker-room...especially after we lose that Zads-swag.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Byram is way ahead of Makar at his age. Just being optimistic. If he’s slightly less good than Makar, we’re still golden

A lot of prospects were a lot more polished than Cale was as a teenager. But Cale's polish wasn't what was exciting about him until last year...and even then it fell way behind his tools or the head on his shoulders.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Byram is way ahead of Makar at his age. Just being optimistic. If he’s slightly less good than Makar, we’re still golden
Byram would have to be Doughty 2.0 to be better than Makar. He’ll have to be a legitimate shutdown dman that can put up 50pts as Makar looks like a future PPG dman. The good thing is that we don’t need Byram to be Doughty 2.0.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
Someone tell Joe we're getting a new GM

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That is an interesting comparison because when he really gets rolling he’s playing almost how a center does with how he carries the puck and distributes it inside the blue line.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->