Value of: Bowen Byram at 3rd Overall

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Hughes will be the better offensive player but Bryam has better all around skills and has an edge as well to go with a more NHL ready frame.

I think both players will be pretty equal in value overall and maybe even the edge will go to Bryam.

I'm a Devils fan, and I fully agree with this. Hughes is the obvious choice at #1, but Byram definitely could be the more valuable player 5+ years down the road. To me, this is very very similar to a Tavares vs Hedman, Stamkos vs Doughty situation.

Reactions: wetcoast

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
That to me is why scouts don't claim he projects as a "top pair" guy, they project him as a #1.
Boqvist still projects as a top pair but isn't solid enough in his zone to be THAT guy.
Mitchell is a rock in his own zone but offers little offense.
Joker seems above average at both but "star" material at neither.

What I am having trouble finding is honest info on Beaudin. Even any homer info which can be taken with a grain of salt. Points are one thing but i'd like to read a realistic projection of where people see him in 2 or 3 or 5 years.

Well said. Your absolutely correct, the only info that seems to be available or posted is in reference to boqvist and joker.

Beaudin haven't heard a peep

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m sure every team has their preference of the guys ranked 3-8, but I doubt there’s a big gap or a consensus. I don’t think anyone will be willing to pay a price that would make Chicago happy with not taking the guy they feel is the best of the rest.

From Colorado, I’d offer 4 plus our 2nd rounder to ensure we get whoever our scouts feel is the best. Not even a huge fan of that offer because I think there’s a 90% chance that guy will be there at 4 anyway.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I’m sure every team has their preference of the guys ranked 3-8, but I doubt there’s a big gap or a consensus. I don’t think anyone will be willing to pay a price that would make Chicago happy with not taking the guy they feel is the best of the rest.

From Colorado, I’d offer 4 plus our 2nd rounder to ensure we get whoever our scouts feel is the best. Not even a huge fan of that offer because I think there’s a 90% chance that guy will be there at 4 anyway.

Idk if the Avs would really care to trade up unless they REALLY only wanted one guy and no one else AND they thought Chi would take them, which I really don't see. Avs biggest need is a 2c and they will have the pick of the litter when it comes to that. There also isn't really that big of a gap where they would likely have to take a certain guy.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Idk if the Avs would really care to trade up unless they REALLY only wanted one guy and no one else AND they thought Chi would take them, which I really don't see. Avs biggest need is a 2c and they will have the pick of the litter when it comes to that. There also isn't really that big of a gap where they would likely have to take a certain guy.

Or they really wanted a guy and thought someone else would make an offer to Chicago to jump over them.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs would only make a move if either Hughes or Kakko falls (unlikely). They'll just pick from any of the other options: Byram, Cozen, Turcotte, Podkolzin or Dach.

Reactions: Meeqs

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
He’s not a legitimate #1 D. He’s a very good PROSPECT defenceman.

Edmonton wouldn’t be interested in my estimation. Our NHL LHD is fine and we have a very strong defensive prospect group.
Fine?
Your defense is fine?
You missed the playoffs for the umpteenth time in a row and you think your defense is fine?

Everybody in the league should be interested in this Byram kid.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fine?
Your defense is fine?
You missed the playoffs for the umpteenth time in a row and you think your defense is fine?

Everybody in the league should be interested in this Byram kid.

Squint real hard at Edmonton’s roster and tell me if you think a LHD NHL corps of Klefbom-Nurse-Sekera-Russell to go along with arguably the best young defence in the AHL is the major problem.

If Byram somehow falls to 8, fine. Edmonton is in no position to give up assets to move up to 3, where he will most likely go. We have much, much, much bigger fish to fry than LHD.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Squint real hard at Edmonton’s roster and tell me if you think a LHD NHL corps of Klefbom-Nurse-Sekera-Russell to go along with arguably the best young defence in the AHL is the major problem.

If Byram somehow falls to 8, fine. Edmonton is in no position to give up assets to move up to 3, where he will most likely go. We have much, much, much bigger fish to fry than LHD.

I'm not going to pick it apart, because that would be piling on, and this discussion shouldn't need that, but results speak for themselves. your team, my team, we all need defense!

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm not going to pick it apart, because that would be piling on, and this discussion shouldn't need that, but results speak for themselves. your team, my team, we all need defense!

There is no point arguing about the Oilers drafting Byram which is unlikely to be available at 8th.

I believe the Oilers are deepest at C & LHD. Byram just adds more depth to LHD without solving any problems in their lineup.

You’re correct good DMen are invaluable, but they have holes everywhere else. RHD is a glaring problem, but this draft is strong with Forwards and LHD. Byram expected to be drafted in the Top 5, no chance the Oilers unless they trade up which is unlikely due to their limited prospects.

There is only 1 highly rated RHD player - Soderstrom which is likely their Pick. If they decide on Forwards: Krebs, Boldy or Newhook.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
But the left side, D, isn't their biggest need when it comes to dropping down in the draft. Everybody wants Byram, of course, but not enough for the teams in the top 2 to trade down, or for some teams in the top 8 to trade up. Nobody is passing him up, they just aren't making an unnecessary trade for it to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->