Value of: Bowen Byram at 3rd Overall

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
but the BPA available for the need of the team is not a hard and fast rule....... there will always be exception to that rule.
That's true, but you still don't draft based on the best player at that position, unless it's a position of need. Being ahead of a much larger gap group doesn't make you the best player.

Reactions: LDF

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Guess, we'll disagree on that then and see in a few years who is right. Granted all we're really talking about is semantics. The kid is hella good, I just feel he is a bit overrated this year due a lack of any competition, as players like Kotka and Hayton were the year before. Great players but not Elite or special players, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I've seen him play quite a bit the last couple of years and he has all the tools and toolbox for a #1 Dman in the NHL.

He is ranked in the top 10 because of how good he is not simply because he is the best Dman prospect.

Also the top 10 is pretty deep, the gap from 1 to 10 isn't very large at all this year.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That's true, but you still don't draft based on the best player at that position, unless it's a position of need. Being ahead of a much larger gap group doesn't make you the best player.
no offense here and i am not being a smart-arse, but you just prove my point with the bold.

it there is one key player that is head and shoulder above everyone else and he is being projected to be a superstar. you draft him and deal with the headaches later.

now if 2 players are considered close and different position, the need is for one particular position..... then you pick for need.

this is as simplest way to explain the word variables in drafting.

Reactions: TGWL

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I've seen him play quite a bit the last couple of years and he has all the tools and toolbox for a #1 Dman in the NHL.

He is ranked in the top 10 because of how good he is not simply because he is the best Dman prospect.

Also the top 10 is pretty deep, the gap from 1 to 10 isn't very large at all this year.

I think we're both on the same page that he is a very very good prospect. I have him as the 3rd best on my personal list. I think the difference is how we're defining #1 Dman which is a silly argument.

I just think this year because he is THE defenseman people overrate him a bit as there isn't many other players to compare him to. So if you look at recent drafts I don't think he is better than Miro, Makar, Hughes and closer to Bouchard and Dobson (who are all very very good dmen prospects).

I'm just probably being nit-picky and drawing the line between the very very good dmen and the special ones.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think we're both on the same page that he is a very very good prospect. I have him as the 3rd best on my personal list. I think the difference is how we're defining #1 Dman which is a silly argument.

I just think this year because he is THE defenseman people overrate him a bit as there isn't many other players to compare him to. So if you look at recent drafts I don't think he is better than Miro, Makar, Hughes and closer to Bouchard and Dobson (who are all very very good dmen prospects).

I'm just probably being nit-picky and drawing the line between the very very good dmen and the special ones.

Hughes still isn't a lock to be a #1 guy either, in fact Bryam has a better chance given his frame and skillset.

I'm not sold on Dobson yet as he kind of reminds me of Eric Johnson who is a good #1 Damn minus the offense one would like to see.

Bouchard who knows, maybe he becomes a Larry Murphy type of player, might depend on the coach and patience level in Edmonton.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
not enuf, this is a sellers market....... need to entice the Bhawks FO to do that trade. this will not do it.

Not going to get into a bidding war when the worst case scenario is getting an equally valuable player at 6 just not at the position I'd prefer.

I know some don't agree with the NHL draft pick value chart (First 3-4 rounds have accurate values imo, later rounds picks are given too much value) but just using it as a baseline...

3rd pick = 826

6th(702) + 55th(180) = 882

May not be enough to entice you to move down 3 spots but I don't think you'd get much more than that from anyone. I'd be willing to add a mid round pick but doubt that would move the needle. I wouldn't move 35th pick.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Hughes still isn't a lock to be a #1 guy either, in fact Bryam has a better chance given his frame and skillset.

I'm not sold on Dobson yet as he kind of reminds me of Eric Johnson who is a good #1 Damn minus the offense one would like to see.

Bouchard who knows, maybe he becomes a Larry Murphy type of player, might depend on the coach and patience level in Edmonton.

I don't think Byram is anywhere close to Hughes, who is a flat out star. Granted they fill different roles. That's what makes prospects so fun though, is seeing who you are right and who you are wrong on.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
no offense here and i am not being a smart-arse, but you just prove my point with the bold.

it there is one key player that is head and shoulder above everyone else and he is being projected to be a superstar. you draft him and deal with the headaches later.

now if 2 players are considered close and different position, the need is for one particular position..... then you pick for need.

this is as simplest way to explain the word variables in drafting.

That's all true, but that wasn't how it was being presented from the other poster. It was being presented as what makes Bryam the next best player after Hughes, is being the best player by a larger gap with the next best in their position, where as Kakko has a smaller gap with the next best forward.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Not going to get into a bidding war when the worst case scenario is getting an equally valuable player at 6 just not at the position I'd prefer.

I know some don't agree with the NHL draft pick value chart (First 3-4 rounds have accurate values imo, later rounds picks are given too much value) but just using it as a baseline...

3rd pick = 826

6th(702) + 55th(180) = 882

May not be enough to entice you to move down 3 spots but I don't think you'd get much more than that from anyone. I'd be willing to add a mid round pick but doubt that would move the needle. I wouldn't move 35th pick.
i am not into the chart of value ..... i too freaking old to learn something new.... when you get to being close to 70 then you will know what i mean.

ref to the value of moving down, lets just say we agree to disagree.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That's all true, but that wasn't how it was being presented from the other poster. It was being presented as what makes Bryam the next best player after Hughes, is being the best player by a larger gap with the next best in their position, where as Kakko has a smaller gap with the next best forward.
again i am sorry, my yrs of needing to know the whole facts and not reading between the lines.

in your org post that is what you did, presented a writing that one will need to read between the lines.

ref to Kakko and Byram this is a whole different pov.

peace.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think Byram is anywhere close to Hughes, who is a flat out star. Granted they fill different roles. That's what makes prospects so fun though, is seeing who you are right and who you are wrong on.

Hughes will be the better offensive player but Bryam has better all around skills and has an edge as well to go with a more NHL ready frame.

I think both players will be pretty equal in value overall and maybe even the edge will go to Bryam.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hughes will be the better offensive player but Bryam has better all around skills and has an edge as well to go with a more NHL ready frame.

I think both players will be pretty equal in value overall and maybe even the edge will go to Bryam.
what is the secondary plus for me is Byram offensive stats..... look them up.

Reactions: Space umpire

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Agreed. Unless Blake gets an opportunity to move up to #1 or #2 he'll hold onto his assets and draft the BPA at #5. The Kings are not cup contenders next year so they need to keep restocking the cupboard and let the #5, Tor 1st, and the #33 OA picks develop over the next few years.
If anything i can see us dropping a few spots (staying in top 10 ) and picking up extra assets

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

It'll certainly be interesting to see how that all ends up. So so many incredible Dman have came up these past few years.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Guess, we'll disagree on that then and see in a few years who is right. Granted all we're really talking about is semantics. The kid is hella good, I just feel he is a bit overrated this year due a lack of any competition, as players like Kotka and Hayton were the year before. Great players but not Elite or special players, not that there is anything wrong with that.

What are you basing it on? There are reports from actual scouts who compare him to Doughty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Taylorst

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This will be the big mystery going into the summer. I really hope they do but it will not be easy.
there are and will be several team who would be involve in trying to free up cap space..... can't wait until trade can be open .....

as you said, it will be an interesting off season.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Would the Blackhawks be interested in Taylor Hall for 3rd overall + Adam Boqvist?

Hall with a year remaining...:laugh:

FC1753BE-9F63-47A7-98BA-4A4484C794D1.gif

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
what is the secondary plus for me is Byram offensive stats..... look them up.
That to me is why scouts don't claim he projects as a "top pair" guy, they project him as a #1.
Boqvist still projects as a top pair but isn't solid enough in his zone to be THAT guy.
Mitchell is a rock in his own zone but offers little offense.
Joker seems above average at both but "star" material at neither.

What I am having trouble finding is honest info on Beaudin. Even any homer info which can be taken with a grain of salt. Points are one thing but i'd like to read a realistic projection of where people see him in 2 or 3 or 5 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->