Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
How would this look on Chicago's backend

Byram
Boqvist
Beaudin
Joker
Krys

Let's say they all workout and some exceed expectations. That's a huge difference that would set Chicago apart from other teams

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Why would you draft based on the best player by position? You don't take the best Goalie, because the best Center, Winger, and D-man were already taken. Rangers don't need to draft Byram just because Hughes is taken at #1 - which by the way, 5k on draft kings, earns you 6800 for Hughes #1.

Let's say Byram was the best player in this year's draft and we didn't have Hughes or kakko , then Byram would obviously go first.

So now the drop off is after Hughes IMO it would be Byram.

Kakko
Pods
Turcotte
Cozen
Dach

All those players have certain qualities and question marks as well. But you cant go wrong with selecting any of them.

But if your looking for the best player available and by position

Hands down Byram

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Let's say Byram was the best player in this year's draft and we didn't have Hughes or kakko , then Byram would obviously go first.

So now the drop off is after Hughes IMO it would be Byram.

Kakko
Pods
Turcotte
Cozen
Dach

All those players have certain qualities and question marks as well. But you cant go wrong with selecting any of them.

But if your looking for the best player available and by position

Hands down Byram

That's not the way you draft.

The top 2 are projected to be Hughes / Kakko. You don't select the best player at a different position just because the gap between Kakko and say Podkolzin, is less than the gap between Byram and the next defensemen. Kakko is still the best player available without Hughes, but I agree you can't go wrong getting Byram, either.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Id offer 6th + more favorable Isles/Sharks 2nd rounder for 3rd overall

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Would Col, LA, Edm, Det or Buf want to trade up to acquire a legitimate #1 D? If so what would the add-in be?

Firstly I will contest that Byram as a legitimate #1D is probably pushing it a bit. He is a great dman, and the only great Dman in this draft but in a normal year he likely wouldn't crack top 5. Top pairing is fair but in terms of a legit #1 I think that's a stretch.

Col wont care, they need a 2c and they will have plenty of options.

LA wont care, they need everything and it wouldn't be worth the assets to move up

Det would possibly be very interested. They need the Dman but not really sure how much they'd be willing to give up. This is a really weird draft and I'm not sure if it would be possible to get that close with all the variables involved.

Edm probably not because they need high end offensive players as much as a Byram, if not more so they wont be giving up much to make that jump with the options they would have.

Buf I think it would be too costly to move up that many spots for them to bite.

So really outside of Det I don't really see it. I think there is also a very strong case to be made that Chi should take Byram over trading down but it's a tad complicated with the limited information we have.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
How would this look on Chicago's backend

Byram
Boqvist
Beaudin
Joker
Krys

Let's say they all workout and some exceed expectations. That's a huge difference that would set Chicago apart from other teams
and need to add Gus.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

The top 2 are projected to be Hughes / Kakko. You don't select the best player at a different position just because the gap between Kakko and say Podkolzin, is less than the gap between Byram and the next defensemen. Kakko is still the best player available without Hughes, but I agree you can't go wrong getting Byram, either.
but the BPA available for the need of the team is not a hard and fast rule....... there will always be exception to that rule.

Reactions: Taylorst

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I have a feeling Gus gets moved to bring in maybe a Nylander or kap to shore up strome , debrincant line,
could be right, meaning being move. with the youngins coming in, the team needs to sacrifice in order to really fix this team.....

Reactions: Taylorst

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
could be right, meaning being move. with the youngins coming in, the team needs to sacrifice in order to really fix this team.....

The team needs to get younger, faster, more offensively skilled and unless the hockey gods shine on Stan and throw him a life preserver ( Tallon) calls and wants seabrook.

Not much will happen

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Rangers can give up WPG 1st+ a large selection of our none-future core if you wanna get rid of 3rd OA.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018

Their is no true rhyme or reason. However each team has to make that choice based on their needs , and how that player fits in or can impact the team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The team needs to get younger, faster, more offensively skilled and unless the hockey gods shine on Stan and throw him a life preserver ( Tallon) calls and wants seabrook.

Not much will happen
but that is part of the solution, they will need to go out and make a trade with the possible throw in being a lhd who has a yr left on his contract.

that player need or could be a temp player keeping the lhd warm until our prospect develop.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Rangers can give up WPG 1st+ a large selection of our none-future core if you wanna get rid of 3rd OA.

i am a little dense here, can you pls give me a name as an example.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
trying to convince rangers fans who wont be making the draft decision to take byram so we can get kakko.... I like it
Rangers are short high end skilled forwards. No chance they pass on KK. They drafted 2 D last year in round 1. Have Winnipeg’s first to grab a D like Seider or Bjornfort or someone in the early 20’s.

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
La only moves up if Hughes or Kakko is available otherwise it makes no sense

Agreed. Unless Blake gets an opportunity to move up to #1 or #2 he'll hold onto his assets and draft the BPA at #5. The Kings are not cup contenders next year so they need to keep restocking the cupboard and let the #5, Tor 1st, and the #33 OA picks develop over the next few years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Firstly I will contest that Byram as a legitimate #1D is probably pushing it a bit. He is a great dman, and the only great Dman in this draft but in a normal year he likely wouldn't crack top 5. Top pairing is fair but in terms of a legit #1 I think that's a stretch.

Col wont care, they need a 2c and they will have plenty of options.

LA wont care, they need everything and it wouldn't be worth the assets to move up

Det would possibly be very interested. They need the Dman but not really sure how much they'd be willing to give up. This is a really weird draft and I'm not sure if it would be possible to get that close with all the variables involved.

Edm probably not because they need high end offensive players as much as a Byram, if not more so they wont be giving up much to make that jump with the options they would have.

Buf I think it would be too costly to move up that many spots for them to bite.

So really outside of Det I don't really see it. I think there is also a very strong case to be made that Chi should take Byram over trading down but it's a tad complicated with the limited information we have.

I don't see any of these teams moving up but you got it wrong Bryam is a legit all situations #1 Dman in the future.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Agreed. Unless Blake gets an opportunity to move up to #1 or #2 he'll hold onto his assets and draft the BPA at #5. The Kings are not cup contenders next year so they need to keep restocking the cupboard and let the #5, Tor 1st, and the #33 OA picks develop over the next few years.
that is and this is a huge maybe, will the kings FO make a move to free up cap ??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't see any of these teams moving up but you got it wrong Bryam is a legit all situations #1 Dman in the future.
i am in total agreement. the only person who will challenge him will be Pods.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Guess, we'll disagree on that then and see in a few years who is right. Granted all we're really talking about is semantics. The kid is hella good, I just feel he is a bit overrated this year due a lack of any competition, as players like Kotka and Hayton were the year before. Great players but not Elite or special players, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->