Bouwmeester's stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think when all is said and done JayBo will be the defensemen everyone talks about from the last few drafts. Hes developed very well, instead of trying to rush his own offensive capabilities he's concentrated on what will make him a great defensemen, defense first.

IMO his hockey smarts and the physical gifts he has will allow him to slowly gain ground and eventually go above and beyond the other defensmen in his age group.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Tale of two seasons

Before Christmas, I would say Bouwmeester's stock had dropped. I had even heard rumours that he was boozing it up. I was never able to substantiate those, however.

In his first 38 games, he scored 12 points, all on assists and was minus 12.

Since then (starting with his first multipoint game of the season on Dec. 28) he has started to put up the numbers people expected of him. All along, Martin has been giving him a ton of ice time and I think that might have helped Bouwmeester work things out. He strikes me as a guy whose confidence would take a big hit if he got benched. Maybe I'm wrong.

His stats in the 36 games since then are pretty darn good: 3 goals, 26 assists and plus 12.

In the first half, I wouldn't even mention Bouwmeester in the same breath as Pitkanen. The Flyer was way more advanced than Bouwmeester. Now, the gap is considerable smaller, if not gone. As for Phaneuf, comparing either Pitkanen or JayBo to him is unfair. Phaneuf is a different kind of player. They will never be like Phaneuf. It's like comparing Ray Bourque to Scott Stevens. Both were great, but they played different styles.

I know one thing, Bouwmeester and Phaneuf will be patrolling the blueline for my favourite team in 2010. Fear the Maple Leaf -- and no, not the blue kind.

Last edited:

NJrocket24

Oct 19, 2005
NJ
Jay Bouwmeeseter- 3 goals 38 assists 41 points +/- 0

Thats exceptionally good for an offensive defenseman (s. Niedermayer type). They always take longer to get their game, because they need to learn timing and patience. He is doing very well at his age in his 3rd year of development. He is on a poor team but putting up good numbers, if he was on a high quality team, his numbers would be a lot better. He is equal or better than pretty much any young two way defenseman out there. In his 4th season I think we'll se him break out.

Chris

Oct 24, 2004
Caniacforever said:
I'd put it right between Chicken and Beef. It makes a great boil for rice, but lacks the flavor to be the base of a soup.
:biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad