Bouwmeester's stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I wouldn't take Pitkanen and Dion over Jaybo. Jaybo IMO is going to the best defenseman in the future, or one of them. VERY FEW posses his skills. He's already so good at his age.

Transported Upstater

Wally112pac said:
So i've heard. Pitkanen is better than Lidstrom, Pronger and Chara and could have won the Norris if he didn't get injured. :sarcasm:

How comical. LMFAO.

When the hell did I ever say that?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Russian_fanatic said:
I wouldn't take Pitkanen and Dion over Jaybo. Jaybo IMO is going to the best defenseman in the future, or one of them. VERY FEW posses his skills. He's already so good at his age.
Phaneuf just scored his 17th goal... as a rookie.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ClashCitiRockr said:
Only reason someone would believe that is solely looking at his stats and particularly goal totals. Players develop at different rates, and mostly due to different situations. Case in point, Pitkanen plays on a much deeper defensive corps than Bouwmeester and tends to be partnered with someone more steady than a Matthieu Biron or Sean Hill. Phanuef as well plays on a much deeper defensive corps. Neither are expected to play the number one defenseman role, nor are they expected to cover every single gaff of their defensive partner. So to say that have passed him by is pretty biased imo. Expectations on this board may have dropped, but again due to stats, but I don't see those expectations having changed among the NHL brass.

Yes, the Flyers have a better defense corps around Pitkanen, but Pitkanen is the best Flyers defenseman

ClashCitiRockr said:
And then again, there's the standard biasedness of Flyer fans tryin to trump how much better Pitkanen is.

It's not just Flyers fans.

Transported Upstater

John Flyers Fan said:
It's not just Flyers fans.

It most certainly is not. I like Toronto. I'm not going to pimp a Flyer unless he deserves it.

And Joni does deserve it.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'm a Pens fan and I would take Pitkanen/Phaneuf over Bouwmeester in a flash

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
How comical. LMFAO.

When the hell did I ever say that?

Not you but flyer fans have said he could have won the Norris this year.

Jbo with 9 shots tonight. He was shootin a lot in ot. Looks like he just needed some confidence.

Transported Upstater

Wally112pac said:
Not you but flyer fans have said he could have won the Norris this year.

Jbo with 9 shots tonight. He was shootin a lot in ot. Looks like he just needed some confidence.

Well, Pitkanen is not quite Norris caliber yet IMO (whether it be James or Chuck.)

Jay Bouwmeester is an OUTSTANDING player with great potential. It wouldn't suprise me to have him competing for Norris trophies years down the line.

priceperlb*

Oct 8, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
Yes, the Flyers have a better defense corps around Pitkanen, but Pitkanen is the best Flyers defenseman

This is such a joke. They have bigger names, but not better defensive corps. Johnsson would improve it, but Pitkanen isn't playing any better than Desjardins. Right now it's safe to say Pitkanen's stock has fallen. Still a good offensive defenseman who is above average in his own zone for that type, but he is supposed to be great. Not yet. Soon hopefully. Maybe pair him with less defensive liabilities with big names and contracts.

No accounting for homer glasses though.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
priceperlb said:
This is such a joke. They have bigger names, but not better defensive corps. Johnsson would improve it, but Pitkanen isn't playing any better than Desjardins. Right now it's safe to say Pitkanen's stock has fallen. Still a good offensive defenseman who is above average in his own zone for that type, but he is supposed to be great. Not yet. Soon hopefully. Maybe pair him with less defensive liabilities with big names and contracts.

So you'll take Van Ryn, Hill, Krajicek, Kwaitkowski, and Montador over the Flyers group ???

Pitkanen's stock falling ??? not after a 3 assist first star night in a 4-2 win.

Pitkanen is certainly playing better than Desjardins, who has struggled since returning from his shoulder injury.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Why does every thread about Bouwmeester turn into a comparison between him and Phaneuf/Pitkanen? How about we at least give Bouwmeester the benefit of the doubt and wait until he gets to play with a competent partner before we try to say what his stock has done.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Its pretty Pejorative Slured that Bouwmeester gets absolutely no credit, but a guy like Phanuef never ever stops getting hyped. I'd take Phanuef over Bouwmeester, but 10 years down the line there will be very little between them. He is on course for 40+ points, which isn't anywhere near bust like.
As for the comparison with Pitkanen, i'd actually take Bouwmeester ahead of him. Hell yeah im a homer but Bouwmeester in my mind is better on the defensive zone and his skating is awesome.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
J17ster said:
Its pretty Pejorative Slured that Bouwmeester gets absolutely no credit, but a guy like Phanuef never ever stops getting hyped. I'd take Phanuef over Bouwmeester, but 10 years down the line there will be very little between them. He is on course for 40+ points, which isn't anywhere near bust like.
As for the comparison with Pitkanen, i'd actually take Bouwmeester ahead of him. Hell yeah im a homer but Bouwmeester in my mind is better on the defensive zone and his skating is awesome.

Amen :clap:

priceperlb*

Oct 8, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:
So you'll take Van Ryn, Hill, Krajicek, Kwaitkowski, and Montador over the Flyers group ???

Pitkanen's stock falling ??? not after a 3 assist first star night in a 4-2 win.

Pitkanen is certainly playing better than Desjardins, who has struggled since returning from his shoulder injury.

Don't know about all of them. Why wouldn't I upgrade though?

1 game doesn't determine his stock value. :shakehead

I'm not dogging Pitkanen. I'm dogging Hatcher and Rathje. And I believe I stated my theory on why he hasn't become great. Namely Hatcher and Rathje suck. Let's see, who else is there? Jones played for a while, Therien had a string of too many games. Johnsson is out, Desjardins missed significant time, Meyer has been a surprise, but he's a rookie and maybe not the best partner for him. Garsh! What a great D-corps! Out of those who would Hitch pair him with? Traditional thinking is offensive d-man with defensive d-man. So that's Hatcher, Rathje, or Therien. How hasn't he flourished? It's a freakin' mystery!

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
cassius said:
How many people here would take Bouwmeester over Phaneuf?

Not very many

Me... Bouw is gonna be a MONSTER ! :amazed:

HoverCarle*

priceperlb said:

stock has fallen?
"Has recorded seven points (1G,6A) over the last eight games"
i guess 7 points in 8 games just isnt good enough for a defensemen coming back from a sports hernia. Joni is gonna have to step up.

joni has 36 points in 44 games and is +15
j-bo has 34 points in 67 games and is -3

while i think j bo is still gonna be a star, that doesnt mean you can rag on pitkanen. they are both gonna be stud dmen and right now joni is having a better season.

oh and joni has more GWG that jbo has goals....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad