Bouwmeester's stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Bouwmeesters still pretty young. He'll be one of the better d-men in the league (good enough for the olympic team already) - but not quite as good as predicted to be. I don't see him being at Pitkanen or Phaneufs level.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
cassius said:
How far has it fallen? It seems like his overall play has gone down since the WC2004.

Denis Potvin, a Hall of Fame defenseman, an all-time great and current Panthers' broadcaster, stated last night that Bouwmeester's game has, in fact, improved this season over his first two NHL season. Likewise, he observed that, on average, it takes approx. 300 games before a player asserts himself (or not) in the NHL.

I would consider Potvin an authority on playing the position of defenseman in the NHL. And he is not a homer, is not afraid to be critical of the hometeam's players.

PanthersFanatic12

Aug 2, 2005
Jaybo is a warrior plays over 25 min a game. Hes the panthers top defensmen . He beat hes career high in points, he has more than 30 points. Very smart and smooth skating player. As i am a panther fan i can tell u that jaybo should be ranked in the top 20 defensemen in the league even tho it may not reflect in his stats. He will get better and better as years pass .

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
I am surprised to see someone say his play has gone down. I would have to say you haven't seen him play this year. Not only has he played spectacular, but 1/2 of his time on the ice he spends covering for Hill's blunders (seriously at least 5 times a game). He is really starting to realize his potential from when he was drafted IMO.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
People get too caught up in numbers to realize when a player has really extended himself and become a top flight NHL defenseman. I can count on one hand how many defensemen in the league that are a consistant threat on offense and defense and do both with equal propensity. Just because Bouwmeester has struggled to find his offensive game at the NHL level doesn't mean that his stock is falling. What i've seen out of Bouwmeester is great development into the position, despite his lack of offense currently, and a maturation in the understanding of the defensive aspects of the game that is so key to a player.

I have a feeling that the offensive game will round out, but never be his trademark aspect of his game. He's going to be a minutes eating defenseman that contributes 40 points a year. In other words, a defenseman that 29 other NHL teams would covet very much.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Caniacforever said:
What i've seen out of Bouwmeester is great development into the position, despite his lack of offense currently, and a maturation in the understanding of the defensive aspects of the game that is so key to a player.

I have a feeling that the offensive game will round out, but never be his trademark aspect of his game. He's going to be a minutes eating defenseman that contributes 40 points a year. In other words, a defenseman that 29 other NHL teams would covet very much.

He's going to put up 40 points this season...

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
His ice time has gone up every year so far. So has his +/- and his point total.

He's 11th in assists for dman after a pretty slow start.

Kills penalties and plays the power play. His team has also improved their record this year.

All signs pointing to a step back is correct. :sarcasm:

He's on par with Pitkanen, Phaneuf and any other dman under the age of 23.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Overall game going down? let me put it down this way. His physical game have improved, his defensive game have improved. Even those I like to see him improve more on the offensive side, he is leading the Panthers d-men in points. Stats wise this have been his best season so far. And he is also playing 25+ minutes a game for the Panthers so he is doing something right alright. So overall his game have improved. And yes he will not be in Pitkanen and Phaneuf level... I think he will be a notch over that level ;)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While his play may be getting better I think the expectations of him have begun to drop. While before he was expected to become the NHL's next dominant defenseman, that is no longer the case, as other players in his age group have passed him by.

Transported Upstater

Caniacforever said:
I'd put it right between Chicken and Beef. It makes a great boil for rice, but lacks the flavor to be the base of a soup.

I laughed my head off at that one :clap: :bow: :biglaugh:

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:
While his play may be getting better I think the expectations of him have begun to drop. While before he was expected to become the NHL's next dominant defenseman, that is no longer the case, as other players in his age group have passed him by.
Only reason someone would believe that is solely looking at his stats and particularly goal totals. Players develop at different rates, and mostly due to different situations. Case in point, Pitkanen plays on a much deeper defensive corps than Bouwmeester and tends to be partnered with someone more steady than a Matthieu Biron or Sean Hill. Phanuef as well plays on a much deeper defensive corps. Neither are expected to play the number one defenseman role, nor are they expected to cover every single gaff of their defensive partner. So to say that have passed him by is pretty biased imo. Expectations on this board may have dropped, but again due to stats, but I don't see those expectations having changed among the NHL brass.

And then again, there's the standard biasedness of Flyer fans tryin to trump how much better Pitkanen is.

Sammy*

John Flyers Fan said:
, as other players in his age group have passed him by.
Actually, you are wrong there.
Might help if you watched Jbo play & wasnt a stats guy.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Wally112pac said:
He's on par with Pitkanen, Phaneuf and any other dman under the age of 23.
I would take Phaneuf or Pitkanen over Bouwmeester.
John Flyers Fan said:
That is a good assessment. I don't think he compares to the upper-tier defensemen prospects (Pitkanen/Phaneuf), but I originally expected him to be there

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Leachmeister2000 said:
The part where you implied that 40 pts was his offensive ceiling.

I think you guys are mistaking his post (great post btw :clap:). He was trying to say that Bouwmeester will be a perennial 40 point scorer -- that doesn't mean that is his ceiling.

Sammy*

cassius said:
I would take Phaneuf or Pitkanen over Bouwmeester.

That is a good assessment. I don't think he compares to the upper-tier defensemen prospects (Pitkanen/Phaneuf), but I originally expected him to be there
I totally disagree. IMo , he is at their level right now, easy.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Sammy said:
How many people here would take Bouwmeester over Phaneuf?

Not very many

Transported Upstater

Sammy said:

Pitkanen is considerably better than Bouwmeester.

CoolburnIsGone

I think if the kid played in a different market most wouldn't think his stock has gone down. Put him in any of the Canadian markets and he'd still have a lot of hype for playing as much as he does and continually improving. Also, I think most look at his lack of goals scored and think he's digressed on the offensive side of his game. Its all a matter of perception and I don't think Bouwmeester's stock has changed one ounce really. Still figures to be one of the top 5 d-men in the league when he hits his prime in the next couple yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad