Bouwmeester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macman

May 15, 2004
The guy has been incredible, which raises the question: if Redden is healthy for the semis, who do you play?

Bouwmeester gets the call for me. His play at the last two worlds was impressive and he's stepped it up even more against even better competition. If this guy doesn't win the Norris in a few years I'll be shocked.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, his performance has been eye-opening to say the least. It's pretty scary that he's only 20 and already as good as he is - especially since he's playing, arguably, the most difficult position to learn in the NHL.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
deathbear said:
scratch brewer once redden is ready.

I agree with this, JayBo has been remarkable, it's a real treat watching him play. Brewer has been making a couple of mistakes, so he'd be my choice to exit.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
I am not a huge Brewer fan, and if Redden is healthy enough to go, I would take him him out to make room for Wade. Bouwmeester has been absolutely solid out there. In a tournament such as this, featuring the best of the best, we often focus on the fantstic scoring plays and great saves, and what is usually overlooked are the great defensive plays that are made which save shots or goals or sets up odd man rushes going the other way. Bouwmeester had 2-3 just last night against Slovakia. This kid is the real deal and at 20 the sky is the limit. He has poise, maturity, and has proven that he can handle the workload. If he can add the offence in the next few years, this guy will be a perennial All-Star and Norris trophy candidate for the next 15 years. I can't wait.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
come on guys. Brewer has played great, he is getting big hits, is putting up points and has even earned himself some PP time last game. He is obviously impressing Quinn. You really think he is going to sit Brewer after his best game in the tourney?

Brewer has been the 3rd best canadian d-men this tourney. He has been bettered by Foote and Neidermeyer and that is it. He has outplayed Hannan, Regher and JayBo.

Now I love JayBo and this he will contend for a Norris eventually. But he isn't there yet. If Redden does come back, then Hannan is my pick to sit.

As a great man once said...
Doesn't anyone else notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!!!!

Anthony*

what has hannan done to warrant being scratched???

hes been solid as usual

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
when redden is back, bouwmeester has to sit again. none of the defensemen have played bad at all, so when it comes time to chose, i say the #8 defenseman on the team sits. anyways, he's the youngest on the team and he'll have his chance for years to come. that being sais, i also like the idea of having slightly older players in the lineup against the Czechs (they be crafty devils)

Macman

May 15, 2004
arrbez said:
when redden is back, bouwmeester has to sit again. none of the defensemen have played bad at all, so when it comes time to chose, i say the #8 defenseman on the team sits. anyways, he's the youngest on the team and he'll have his chance for years to come. that being sais, i also like the idea of having slightly older players in the lineup against the Czechs (they be crafty devils)

Against a team that traps like the Czechs often do, a defenceman who can skate like Bouwmeester can is essential. He definitely stays. I don't understand all this Brewer bashing either. He's got a couple of points, is second on the entire team in plus-minus, has a bagful of gold medals from various international tournaments and plays with a lot of poise. I'm glad Gretzky and friends picked this team and not some of the people on these boards.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
arrbez said:

Bouwmeester shouldn't be scratched just because he was a late fill in and because he's young. He was so good out there last night. He played with poise and he was skating very well and his puck lugging abilities are fantastic.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
jacksheit said:
I agree!
I hate brewer thou, but hannan hasnt been doing anything to give me a boner

i am so proud of my lil JBo

Personally, I'd rather have Hannan in the lineup. Those forwards the Czechs are sporting are giving me the willies. Then again, it does depend on which Czech team shows up: the prelim team or the team that killed Sweden.
I have a feeling Bouwmeester may sit if Redden comes back; Quinn & Co. have a tendency to play the vets.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Before getting injured, Redden was our second best defenseman behind Niedermyer, based on his play, IMHO. Brewer at that point was NOT playing particularly well (though he has picked up his play). If Redden is healthy, expect one of Regher or Hannan to sit, I think, due to their lack of offensive ability, in order to get the puck out of the zone effectively.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
All the D have been amazing - 100 shots in 4 games against the world's best players, and most of them have been harmless shots.

I've never been a Redden fan - he's been completely unnoticeable in the Ottawa-Toronto playoff series. I think Bmeester should keep his spot unless he overhandles the puck as he started to do last night.

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
Im an American and for the sake of the USA...make Jaybo sit!

What will Canada's defense corps look like in 5 years?

JayBo, Phanau (sp), Jackman, Stuart (?). . . plus you got Regher who is still quite young and he'll be great for years....jeez

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
J-BO has got to stay, I just love watching this guy skate, which will be needed to help break down the trap that the Czechs will probably use. Brewer can sit if Redden plays.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Egil said:
Before getting injured, Redden was our second best defenseman behind Niedermyer, based on his play, IMHO. Brewer at that point was NOT playing particularly well (though he has picked up his play). If Redden is healthy, expect one of Regher or Hannan to sit, I think, due to their lack of offensive ability, in order to get the puck out of the zone effectively.

I believe that for this World Cup, all of Redden, Brewer and Bouwmeester have been playing left D (and I think that they all naturally play left) so if Redden comes back and is inserted into the line up then it would make most sense to sit Brewer or JBo down instead of Hannan who plays right.

But based on their play, neither deserves to sit...(and seeing as how I was actually rooting for Redden to go down so that I could see JBo in the line up...I know, I am a baaad person!) and since they are doing well without Redden, let Redden sit...

But realistically, facing the fast skating, slippery and skilled Czechs, I think that it makes more sense to sit Brewer who is not as fleet of foot as young JBo or Redden

...but then again, a real nice bone crushing hit or two early on in the game against a softer team can really set the tone and even turn the tide if we're down so perhaps Brewer should stay in...hmmm...what a nice quandry to have for team Canada!

Regardless of who sits, that young Bouwmeester is gonna be something else if he's not already!!!

Last edited:

xerburt

Jul 25, 2002
vancouver
Visit site
If I had to make the decision, I would keep Redden out for another game. He's obviously injured, and I don't think there's really any need to rush him back in, given that all the other D-men are doing just fine. Give him some time to rest up and get closer to being 100%.

This also gives the management another look-see at the other guys, and may make the decision on who should sit the final easier (should they make it that far).

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
Brewer usually plays the right side, but, has adapted well to playing on Foote's left.
And, altho he may look like he's lumbering, at times, his speed is deceptive.
He can accelerate and skate someone down, with the best of them.

If/when Redden comes back, Brew will NOT be scratched.
Quinn/Hitch count on him and Foote playing the toughest minutes, and they are doing so, admirably.
No way, one of the 2 guys they've relied on the most, gets dumped.
_________

JBo has looked awesome, in his role, and he's just going to get better.
_________

When it comes to who sits and who plays, it doesn't matter what we think we see.
The men who are paid to make the tough decisions, know what they are doing.
I'll take the expertise of Gretz and co., over all the armchair GMs/coaches here.

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
Egil said:
No way we're sitting Regehr, he's been performing flawlessly, and will easily dominate the very soft Czech team along the boards.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
It looks unaminous.Boumeester is a HIT.I haven't seen him play much before this
and when you look at his NHL stats they don't seem to reflect how really good
he is.He's fun to watch to and makes some amazing defensive plays.Last game
he looked as good as anyone .But in fairness Canada's defence has been good
all around and it would be a tough call to leave anyone off.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
xerburt said:
If I had to make the decision, I would keep Redden out for another game. He's obviously injured, and I don't think there's really any need to rush him back in, given that all the other D-men are doing just fine. Give him some time to rest up and get closer to being 100%. This also gives the management another look-see at the other guys, and may make the decision on who should sit the final easier (should they make it that far).
The Check game is no slam dunk. They beat an equally skilled offensive team (albeit not as good defensively) in the Swedes and did so with an exclamation point, limiting them to only 1 goal. Also, Quinn prefers to use veterans in crucial matchups over rookies and this is a cruscial game. No second chances if we lose. The team needs its best players, and for now a healthy Redden is better for the team than Bowmeister. IF Redden is ready to go, Quinn will play Redden and Bowmeister will sit, if only because he was the last player named and was never intended to play in the semi-finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->