Bouwmeester in Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Lauser3 said:
Oh, btw...Jaystine had the most ice time after Ozo was traded just so you know, so he was the #1. :amazed:

So what? do you expect an 19 years old rookie to step up and score around 50+ points like Ozolinsh did in J-Bo rookie season?

And Jagr did not even scored close to the 199 points Lemieux had, does that make him sucks since he is the player who score most points at the end of the 90s.

And you want J-Bo to score close to 25 points in his first couple of years, J-Bo had 20 points in 61 games in his 2nd year. If he had player all 82 games then he would have about 26+ points.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Lauser3 said:
Different time...different era...players were bigger...players were smaller...goaltenders were better...goaltenders were worse...players were better...players were worse...

Do you ever run out of excuses??

It is not an excuse, IT IS FACT.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Lauser3 said:
Sure you were...surprised you're not asking about Roberto's eye color now. :biglaugh:

FYI...I've never used any other username but this one and on just about every Panthers board around btw.

As for Stevens' numbers...um, genius...he's a DEFENSIVE defenseman; the fact he puts up points is a bonus. Like I said...read up before posting junior; you might learn something.

Hahahahahaha, sure, sure. Compare stats in 82-83 to the stats in 2002-2003. Unless you have not been sleeping for the past 20 years, which it seem like you have considering the post you have been made, this is not the 80s anymore, it is the 20th century.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Lauser3 said:
Pay attention junior...you ready? Rathje had similar numbers like Jaystine in Juniors. They both played in the WHL. They both played for Medicine Hat. They were both drafted in the first round by bad teams. They were both drafted 3rd overall in their draft years. They both play a non physical type of game despite having plenty of size. They both didn't score many goals early on in their pro careers. The similarities are striking but I just thought it would be funny and some fool would get riled up by it. And you did. :)

Yes so you see, they have similar numbers in junior but Rathje did not score 20+ points until he was 29, that make J-Bo superior to him.

Lauser3*

Make that 20 folks...another stellar night for Jaystine and all 0s across the board (0 goals 0 assists 0 points 0 +/- 0 shots 0 penalty minutes)...I mean how can anyone not be impressed with his performance in the pros thus far? :biglaugh:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Boumeester got his clock cleaned from a big hit by Rick Rypien in the Game tonight. He was out cold on the ice and had to be helped off. He did not look like he knew were he was.

Roger's Pancreas*

Joe Hallenback said:
Boumeester got his clock cleaned from a big hit by Rick Rypien in the Game tonight. He was out cold on the ice and had to be helped off. He did not look like he knew were he was.

I heard it but I didn't think it was that serious. I hope the kids alright.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Lauser3 said:
Make that 20 folks...another stellar night for Jaystine and all 0s across the board (0 goals 0 assists 0 points 0 +/- 0 shots 0 penalty minutes)...I mean how can anyone not be impressed with his performance in the pros thus far? :biglaugh:

I love you Lauser3, you came with comments on Jay and I'm sure you didn't even know he was injured.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... love those ignorants who just like to take shots at kids !

Let's go to the Finals, I've heard a lot of things about how Richards and Carter have looked, let's just see how Jay performs in the final.

And since I love games, I'll bet 20 bucks on Bouwmeester having a great final to apologize for his lack of production in the other playoffs game.

And I noticed something that make me smile today. It was a comment from the coach about Jay after his injury. Since he hasn't put up a point in the playoffs and his playing that bad (as some of you said), I can't see a coach making those kind of statements !

I don't want to look like a Bouwmeester fan and always say that he is good, the next coming of Orr and all and all... I'm as disappointed as you in his lack of production in the playoffs... I'm just p*ssed to see a lot of people calling for his head, where know in the NHL the development of a young defenseman is always a hard task. Don't throw the towel just yet !

CoolburnIsGone

Lauser3 said:
Tell that to the Panthers, who made him the #1 guy after trading Sandis Ozolinsh to the Mighty Ducks.
You've been hounding people about avoiding questions. But you've missed a vital question to ask yourself:

Why did Florida trade Ozolinsh?

It wasn't primarily because Bouwmeester was ready to be the #1 guy just yet. It was because Ozolinsh was absolutely horrendous in his own zone. I cringed everytime he stepped on the ice because of how bad he was defensively. He cost the team more games than he really helped them with all his offensive prowess. Not to mention that he was costing the team $4 million in a market that couldn't (and possibly won't ever be able to) afford to spend that much on that type of player. It was an addition by subtraction.

Keenan was probably the one to deem Bouwmeester as ready for the #1 spot when the rest of the organization probably didn't agree. And it was head coach Mike Keenan that kept putting Ozo on the ice for sometimes 30 minutes per game...when that should've never been done. Keenan made many, many bad decisions as coach of the Panthers and it was evident in the record as well. Refusing to practice the powerplay and penalty killing when the team was dismal at both (and subsequently improved right after his firing). An even bigger question for you: what half-brain idiot would re-hire Keenan as GM while extending his contract (again) and think its a good idea especially with Brian Burke available. You'll probably end up calling me a Dudley defender or some cute name like you do but I said it half way through his first season as GM. Dudley should've been given 3 yrs and that's it. Then bring in another GM to finalize the building process. I think Dudley should've been given another year to see where he would've gone with the team (even if that meant not having Martin as coach).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lauser3*

Havlat said:
I love you Lauser3, you came with comments on Jay and I'm sure you didn't even know he was injured.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... love those ignorants who just like to take shots at kids !

Let's go to the Finals, I've heard a lot of things about how Richards and Carter have looked, let's just see how Jay performs in the final.

And since I love games, I'll bet 20 bucks on Bouwmeester having a great final to apologize for his lack of production in the other playoffs game.

And I noticed something that make me smile today. It was a comment from the coach about Jay after his injury. Since he hasn't put up a point in the playoffs and his playing that bad (as some of you said), I can't see a coach making those kind of statements !

I don't want to look like a Bouwmeester fan and always say that he is good, the next coming of Orr and all and all... I'm as disappointed as you in his lack of production in the playoffs... I'm just p*ssed to see a lot of people calling for his head, where know in the NHL the development of a young defenseman is always a hard task. Don't throw the towel just yet !

Where have I called him a bust? I love it when people ASSume without reading posts first. BTW...at almost 22, he's not a kid anymore so you shouldn't try to baby him...I doubt he needed help from his folks signing his million dollar contract and I doubt he's living off their money anymore. He's supposed to be a man now and should be playing like one, but he's not.

So now he can't take a hit? I always knew he was a pansy...and he's Canadian too? Shame on him. :) Shake it off you wimp! You're a hockey player, not a figure skater...although I'm sure Brian Boitano is tougher. :biglaugh:

BTW...how many coaches (especially ones in organizations that have taken heat for renting unaffiliated players) do you know that will rip into players for their lack of production, ESPECIALLY after an injury? Come on now. :shakehead

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Lauser3 said:
So now he can't take a hit? I always knew he was a pansy...and he's Canadian too? Shame on him. :) Shake it off you wimp! You're a hockey player, not a figure skater...although I'm sure Brian Boitano is tougher. :biglaugh:

I had been trying to try and take you seriously up until now, despite your very weird perception of things.

I will not make that mistake again.

Lauser3*

Vlad The Impaler said:
I had been trying to try and take you seriously up until now, despite your very weird perception of things.

I will not make that mistake again.

Oh no, my life is over now because you aren't taking me seriously now.

Seriously though, some people around here are much too sensitive and can't take a joke. Geez.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The fact is that while Bouwmeester hasn't developed as quickly as many thought he would, he's by no means a bust at this point. At 22 years old, a defenseman should just be starting to learn his own end. This doesn't mean putting up gaudy point numbers, it doesn't mean never making a mistake. It also doesn't mean being the #1 defenseman on your dilapidated blue line crew.

Honestly though, i'm not sure why it's such a big surprise that Bouwmeester isn't putting up these huge numbers in the NHL. He averaged about a point per game at Medicine Hat, but that's junior hockey. That in no way translates to the style of NHL game he will play at the next level. Good skills doesn't always translate to loads of points. Does it help? Sure. But if he's not the type of defenseman to go out and look for offensive opportunities then he's not going to score that many points.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Caniacforever said:
Honestly though, i'm not sure why it's such a big surprise that Bouwmeester isn't putting up these huge numbers in the NHL. He averaged about a point per game at Medicine Hat, but that's junior hockey. That in no way translates to the style of NHL game he will play at the next level. Good skills doesn't always translate to loads of points. Does it help? Sure. But if he's not the type of defenseman to go out and look for offensive opportunities then he's not going to score that many points.
So what, then, made him a top 3 selection in the draft?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's just kind of the issue I take when folks try to excuse Bouwmeester's lack of production by saying that he's not a pure offensive defenseman. Really then, just what the hell is he?

This is the same player that made Sandis Ozolinch's services expendable in Florida. While he's shown a mostly-solid defensive game, that's only a small fraction of the reasons he was a top 3 draft pick. There's no question in my mind that Bouwmeester was drafted mostly for his offensive capabilities.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Jacobv2 said:
That's just kind of the issue I take when folks try to excuse Bouwmeester's lack of production by saying that he's not a pure offensive defenseman. Really then, just what the hell is he?

This is the same player that made Sandis Ozolinch's services expendable in Florida. While he's shown a mostly-solid defensive game, that's only a small fraction of the reasons he was a top 3 draft pick. There's no question in my mind that Bouwmeester was drafted mostly for his offensive capabilities.
First off, Ozolinsh made himself expendable with his play. Hew wasn't putting up the points and he made so many defensive mistakes, the four million he was earning was almost more of a mistake than the Rangers experiment of singin every big name free agent to exorbant contracts. Bouwmeester was drafted for his ability to make a gorgeous first pass, his ability to skate back into his own zone faster than most opposing forwards can skate into it, the sheer size he posesses, his defensive play, his slap shot, and his ability to play the game. It wasn't just about puttin points on the board.

Lauser3*

ClashCitiRockr said:
First off, Ozolinsh made himself expendable with his play. Hew wasn't putting up the points and he made so many defensive mistakes, the four million he was earning was almost more of a mistake than the Rangers experiment of singin every big name free agent to exorbant contracts. Bouwmeester was drafted for his ability to make a gorgeous first pass, his ability to skate back into his own zone faster than most opposing forwards can skate into it, the sheer size he posesses, his defensive play, his slap shot, and his ability to play the game. It wasn't just about puttin points on the board.

Really? From the interview last night, it didn't sound like offense wasn't expected out of him...

CW: "Jay you're known predominantly whether it's fair or not as an offensive minded defenseman, came up through the Junior rank, expected a lot of offensive production in the National Hockey League, no points so far in the playoffs but your defensive play has been steller, do you think you're underrated as a defensive-style defenseman as well?"
J-Bo: "Ah I don't look, (laughs) it's kinda fustrating I haven't been able to get anything going, but ah, you know I just probably haven't been getting the bounces, this time of year the most important thing is that you're good defensively, ah you know I try not to get scored on than scoring goals."

Lauser3*

First off, Ozolinsh made himself expendable with his play. Hew wasn't putting up the points and he made so many defensive mistakes, the four million he was earning was almost more of a mistake than the Rangers experiment of singin every big name free agent to exorbant contracts.

Ozolinsh "wasn't putting up the points?" WTF? He had 55 points in the 88 games he played for the Panthers. He finished first on the team in total points his first season with the Cats (29 points in 37 games) and despite being traded (due in part to Bouwmeester), he still finished ahead of ALL defensemen on our team in 2002-2003 with 26 points in 51 games. The next closest dman, was his replacement (Bouwmeester) with 16 points in 82 games played. "Wasn't putting up points?" :biglaugh:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ClashCitiRockr said:
Many of the traits you cited that Bouwmeester posesses should translate into EASY point production.

His ability to jump into the play, his first pass, his skating ability, his shot. If a team drafts a player because of these reasons it's ONLY because they think these skills will translate into point totals. Yet you say he was drafted for all of the above but NOT for his offensive game, yes?

Regardless of the reason Ozolinch was really traded, certainly all we heard around these parts was that Bouwmeester was ready to take over. We heard it from the media and we heard it from the fans. You must have been one of the true level-headed Panthers fans that realized Bouwmeester did not make Ozolinch expendable.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Jacobv2 said:
Many of the traits you cited that Bouwmeester posesses should translate into EASY point production.

His ability to jump into the play, his first pass, his skating ability, his shot. If a team drafts a player because of these reasons it's ONLY because they think these skills will translate into point totals. Yet you say he was drafted for all of the above but NOT for his offensive game, yes?

Regardless of the reason Ozolinch was really traded, certainly all we heard around these parts was that Bouwmeester was ready to take over. We heard it from the media and we heard it from the fans. You must have been one of the true level-headed Panthers fans that realized Bouwmeester did not make Ozolinch expendable.
Actually, before the '03-'04 season I predicted many people would be down on Bouw's development. I compared his development to Jovo's, where people soured on his path and eventualy screamed to get rid of him. But where is Ed now? Arguably a top ten defenseman in the league. But if you notice what I said about Bouw here, I said "It wasn't about puttin points on the boards", i.e. numbers in his stat totals. He's involved in the play, and that has been remarked upon, when he was interested in showin his skills in S.A. and now in Chicago on a much more regular basis. Its not always about an assist or a goal. His ability to jump into has been reported on as lookin like a forward carryin the puck into the zone. His passing starts the play in motion. And his skating ability is what gives his defensive partner, Travis Roche, the chance to cheat more and be more involved in the play. A player's worth is not always shown in stats.

Oh, and it wasn't that Bouw made Ozo expendable. It was that Ozo just cost too damn much for what he was producing. 26 points in 51 games, while averaging almost 30 mins a game. Plus his consistent defensive lapses due to bein overly tired from the amount of time on the ice were just too pricey at four million for the season. The rest of the Panthers' defensive corps performing over their heads is what made ozo expendable, not Bouw alone. Lilja had a career year. Ivan Majesky was playin well enough to solicit a second round pick at the draft after the season. And the Panthers were tryin to bring in Igor Kravchuk while expectin more from Igor Ulanov. Mike Keenan's misuse of his defense is what made Ozo expendable. Mike Keenan made Bouwmeester into a number one defenseman. Oh and saddling Bouw with Biron, another brilliant Keenan move, I'm sure helped Bouw's development.

Last edited:

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Lauser3 said:
Ozolinsh "wasn't putting up the points?" WTF? He had 55 points in the 88 games he played for the Panthers. He finished first on the team in total points his first season with the Cats (29 points in 37 games) and despite being traded (due in part to Bouwmeester), he still finished ahead of ALL defensemen on our team in 2002-2003 with 26 points in 51 games. The next closest dman, was his replacement (Bouwmeester) with 16 points in 82 games played. "Wasn't putting up points?" :biglaugh:
Four million dollars for a player scorin .5 ppg and makin the defensive blunders he was wasn't puttin up points when he was a minus 16 translating into 42 goals bein scored with him on the ice. Essentially said, he had almost twice as many goals scored against him as he had an involvement in bein scored. Yeah, he was helpin a whole hell of a lot. Keep tellin only half the story and tryin to slander anything during the Dudley era, because that's what this boils down to with you. Dudley drafted Bouwmeester, and any other pick doesn't matter in this discussion.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ClashCitiRockr said:
Four million dollars for a player scorin .5 ppg and makin the defensive blunders he was wasn't puttin up points when he was a minus 16 translating into 42 goals bein scored with him on the ice. Essentially said, he had almost twice as many goals scored against him as he had an involvement in bein scored. Yeah, he was helpin a whole hell of a lot.
Apples and oranges, but what was Bouwmeester's salary after all the bonuses added up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad