Bourque=Rodney Dangerfield

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
As I said a few weeks back, Bourque's style of game can be a big asset in the playoffs. When he's engaged physically, it seems like the rest of his game just falls into place.

Guys who can bang and score are a premium in the nhl playoffs.
Absolutely!! He took a few games to get his game back after his concussion, but games 1 and 2 he looked great...

was holding my breath on the collision with Armstrong last night...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Did he play like crap last year? Yes. But it was absurd people wanted him off the team when all he makes is $3.3 million a year. That's peanuts.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
with galchy , collberg , Bozon , Galagher, Eller, Kristo , Vail, Hudon etc...... we have a ton of talent and speed , we have crap secondary players and no size

at pick 25 Mackinnon isint going to fall on our lap my friend

yes you take talent over size but if a 220 pound potential 20 goal banger is there at 25 , u take him over a 180 lb marginally better skilled guy at this point

in the second and third rounds is where you find these Bickel `s , Troy Brauer types we so desperately need

simply put we arent winning anything until our secondary support players are upgraded , and more size on the top 6

u dont go to war with Moen , Colby , Dumont , etc...

this draft can fill those needs with our top 6 picks , if we chose that route

yes we look at skill but u can only have so many skilled players , many cant adjust and play bottom six roles

Look at the Bruins , when you have Paille, Thornton and Campbell on your fourth line and Kelly, Peverly on your third line to go with your skill and size on your top 6

thats whey they are contenders , solid mix

In the first game of the series our fourth line was Prust - White - Moen, i wouldn't trade that line for Boaton's line. Our third line was Galchy - Eller- Gally, wouldnt trade that line foe Boston's line.

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
Bourque has played extremely well so far in the playoffs...I'm very impressed. Hope he keeps it up.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
this draft can fill those needs with our top 6 picks , if we chose that route

yes we look at skill but u can only have so many skilled players , many cant adjust and play bottom six roles

Look at the Bruins , when you have Paille, Thornton and Campbell on your fourth line and Kelly, Peverly on your third line to go with your skill and size on your top 6

thats whey they are contenders , solid mix

The Bruins acquired none of those players through the draft...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't understand why he doesn't play physical like that all the time. Makes him infinitely more effective. Hopefully MT can find the switch.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
He's been so much better than last year. Still have yet to see a full season of him in a Habs jersey, but it does bode well for him going by this season and these playoffs so far.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Seriously he llooked like Hossa for one night, he played very hard on both ends of the ice and was making his way to the net à la Hossa. Not saying he is that good but i hope it's what he is in PO mode, cause we're gonna need him.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Bourque has 23 points in 67 games as a Hab.
That is not very impressive.

Last year, he was playing with an injury. He had surgery in the off-season. Ever since this season started, he's been very good. He took some time getting back into his rhythm after suffering a concussion.

He's been good.

onemorecup*

Go check how Boston acquired Thornton Paille and Campbell. They didn't cost high draft picks. Trying to draft depth bangers/grinders early in the draft would be mornic for the Habs. You NEVER have too much skill, because if you have extra it's great trade bait to add missing pieces to a contender or to get more high draft picks.

If you draft depth players you take them with late pick or sign them as FA's.

PLUS I don't find the Habs are hurting for thise type of players, if you look at last night Halpern White Moen and Prust all had strong games. If you need to add go the FA route or make a minor trade, but NEVER use premium picks on 4th liners...NEVER!!!

bro I never said use premium picks on 4th liners

we need better bottom 6 and 2 legit bigger players on our top 6 , what is so hard to understand

if at pick 25 we have a choice between a 200 pound forward with talent or another Collberg with slighty more talent , but both are legit top 9 material
I am taking the 200 pounder

If a Ryan Oreily type is at 36 with Calgary`s pick take him absolutely or if a Lucic type take him , we can take a chance with multiple picks

thats all I am saying ,we have many quality talented skilled forwards with speed like Collberg, Kristo , Bozon , etc.... there is no way all our skilled guys make this team
bad mix when you have all skill and no size and secondary contributors like all stanley cup champs do

we can take a chance on bigger players with upside with 3 seconds and 2 thirds

the last thing we need is another 5`9 170 pounder with skill

The Caps last year took Wison , the Kings took Preston in the bottom of the first
round 2 hard nosed SOB`S who have the will to compete and win and can play

what is wrong if we nab two of those within our first 4 picks ?

Last edited by a moderator:

onemorecup*

Go check how Boston acquired Thornton Paille and Campbell. They didn't cost high draft picks. Trying to draft depth bangers/grinders early in the draft would be mornic for the Habs. You NEVER have too much skill, because if you have extra it's great trade bait to add missing pieces to a contender or to get more high draft picks.

If you draft depth players you take them with late pick or sign them as FA's.

PLUS I don't find the Habs are hurting for thise type of players, if you look at last night Halpern White Moen and Prust all had strong games. If you need to add go the FA route or make a minor trade, but NEVER use premium picks on 4th liners...NEVER!!!

White Moen , Colby , Halpern are nowhere near Bostons 4th line , not even close

Last edited by a moderator:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
About the draft: The BPA philosphy must stand, but the focus should be on Size+Skill. That being said, with our lower picks I wouldn't mind going for a bigger-prust type of player. Fighter who can play a bit.

As for Bourque: He's a very dangerous player when he's engaged. Love that we have him for cheap. I think playoffs will be a big factor in getting him consistent. He's gone from the circus that is Calgary and he's arrived in Montreal right at the time we've had a culture change and a surge in the standings. Motivating him should not be a problem this spring. I hope he continues to deck Alfie like he did last night :yo:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
He threw maybe the two biggest hits a Hab forward has thrown in the past decade last night, and played great all around. LONG have I waited for one of our guys to lay out Alfie!

BORK BORK BORK!

He was also absolutely robbed in game one by Anderson!

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Bourque is a beast this playoffs. He threw 3 big hits, scored a goal and assisted one. which is why we need size and strength in the playoffs. guys like gionta and plekanec will disappear when the going gets tough. guys who struggles seem to be boullion, desharnais, gionta.

Analyzer*

That year was a write off imo. He clearly wasn't happy to be traded and was probably dealing with an injury.

No probably about it. He was.

When Bourque wants to play, he plays very well. Hence my avy.

Galchenyuk4habs

Nov 13, 2011
Montreal
I think what onemorecup is trying to say is that, with our top 4 picks, we have to get a Power-Forward type of guy. Not a goon, and no Pacioretty isn't a power-forward, he's a sniper with size(this year anyways). When I mean Power-Forward I mean Nathan Horton, Milan Lucic, Erik Cole, Ryane Clowe, David Clarkson, hell even Gallagher is a power-forward despite his size. Basically a player with skill and size, that crashes the net, hits hard and fights. We don't have any of thoses players in the farm system at the moment, and we need one down the road. I think this is pretty clear to us, we all saw how having 0 size and toughness on a team can have like impact, when Emelin got injured, up until Tinordi got called up we were playing like *****. Coincidence, I think not.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand why he doesn't play physical like that all the time. Makes him infinitely more effective. Hopefully MT can find the switch.

Its a problem with alot of guys who are cut from the same mold. My theory is that it's just too grueling to keep that style up for every game. Also, there is a tendency to rely on your scoring talents when things aren't going well.

Its rare enough to find a potential power forward, let alone a consistent power forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad