Bourque=Rodney Dangerfield

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Someone else on here might've already used that line on here.

I think it's time we give him his own thread.

He's been too good to be true in my bumbling opinion. This is the Bourque who was making us look stupid in the outdoor game a few years back.

It seems like he's for real at least for the rest of the playoffs. I hope he can keep this up for the majority of his contract. To tell you the truth, I wasn't even that ticked with him last year. I saw him hit a lot of posts, get robbed a bunch of times and steal a lot of pucks. The trade keeps looking better and better. Can't wait to see who we get with Calgary's second too! Go PG!!!!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
As I said a few weeks back, Bourque's style of game can be a big asset in the playoffs. When he's engaged physically, it seems like the rest of his game just falls into place.

Guys who can bang and score are a premium in the nhl playoffs.

Dec 2, 2010
I really believe he was dealing with depression the year he was traded. He looks confident, he talks confident and he plays like it.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
It would be nice to extend his contract for the same price if we can keep it low. He doesn't have many points to show for the effort so here's hoping.

Edit: Just realized we have him for 3 more years, nevermind that is great.

onemorecup*

He's been too good to be true in my bumbling opinion. This is the Bourque who was making us look stupid in the outdoor game a few years back.

It seems like he's for real at least for the rest of the playoffs. I hope he can keep this up for the majority of his contract. To tell you the truth, I wasn't even that ticked with him last year. I saw him hit a lot of posts, get robbed a bunch of times and steal a lot of pucks. The trade keeps looking better and better. Can't wait to see who we get with Calgary's second too! Go PG!!!!

agreed to get a guy that big for 3 mil locked up that provides us with much neded size is gold

onemorecup*

very critical draft , we have solid skiiled guys in the funnell

we need to hit in the the first 4 picks , our biggest problem , players with size and jam

our bottom 6 is brutal most nights , and we need 2 big bodies in the top 6 to go with Bourque

now in free agancy if we land Clarkson and Bickell , most of our problems are solved
right now , but size and jam should be our priority at the draft

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo

we need to hit in the the first 4 picks , our biggest problem , players with size and jam

our bottom 6 is brutal most nights , and we need 2 big bodies in the top 6 to go with Bourque

now in free agancy if we land Clarkson and Bickell , most of our problems are solved

I like your thinking here. I hope Habs Mgt agrees.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I think that comparison could be made to the Habs in general.

But yeah, what Hackett said exactly.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
That trade could go down as the biggest steal of the decade. Bourque, Holland and Calgary second (36) in this summer deep draft. It no wonder Gauthier could not wait until the end of the game he was worried that Feaster would sober up or change his mind! lolll

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
That trade could go down as the biggest steal of the decade. Bourque, Holland and Calgary second (36) in this summer deep draft. It no wonder Gauthier could not wait until the end of the game he was worried that Feaster would sober up or change his mind! lolll

At the time, I thought PG made a terrible trade, but it is nice to see this work. Bourque has played well all year except when he first came back

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Great game for him last night. It would be really nice if we can see this from him for the rest of the playoffs. We need him to be physical and he definitely stepped it up last night.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I was very excited when we traded small for big. Now we need to do two more of that. (DD and Gionta)

Replacing small guys with big guys is not the be all and end all. I agree the team still needs to get a bit bigger...they are already a lot bigger up front than 2-3 years ago but got smaller on defense after Komisarek and O'byrne left plus now with Emelin out.

When DD and Gionta are surrounded by big guys they are very effective players.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

No. Talent and speed should be our priority at the draft. You don't draft for current weakness. It's idiotic to do so.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
At the time, I thought PG made a terrible trade, but it is nice to see this work. Bourque has played well all year except when he first came back

That's pretty normal for concussion, guys coming back are usually pretty tenative and don't want any set backs. Other than those 5 games he's been a very strong asset this year using his size in the corners and driving the net, chipping in 8 goals despite the injury. His 3.3 mil cap hit is nice and cozy too.

onemorecup*

No. Talent and speed should be our priority at the draft. You don't draft for current weakness. It's idiotic to do so.

with galchy , collberg , Bozon , Galagher, Eller, Kristo , Vail, Hudon etc...... we have a ton of talent and speed , we have crap secondary players and no size

at pick 25 Mackinnon isint going to fall on our lap my friend

yes you take talent over size but if a 220 pound potential 20 goal banger is there at 25 , u take him over a 180 lb marginally better skilled guy at this point

in the second and third rounds is where you find these Bickel `s , Troy Brauer types we so desperately need

simply put we arent winning anything until our secondary support players are upgraded , and more size on the top 6

u dont go to war with Moen , Colby , Dumont , etc...

this draft can fill those needs with our top 6 picks , if we chose that route

yes we look at skill but u can only have so many skilled players , many cant adjust and play bottom six roles

Look at the Bruins , when you have Paille, Thornton and Campbell on your fourth line and Kelly, Peverly on your third line to go with your skill and size on your top 6

thats whey they are contenders , solid mix

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I really believe he was dealing with depression the year he was traded. He looks confident, he talks confident and he plays like it.

I said that too.

I also thought that his concussion this year was also tied in with a bit of depression. Just get that feeling from him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Plus I don't see size as a big weakness(in the organisation), the NHL club is a bit small on defense but Emelin(injured) Tinordi(in development) Beaulieu Ellis Pateryn Didier Dietz etc are all on the way so drafting big d-men is just adding to an organisational strength.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
with galchy , collberg , Bozon , Galagher, Eller, Kristo , Vail, Hudon etc...... we have a ton of talent and speed , we have crap secondary players and no size

at pick 25 Mackinnon isint going to fall on our lap my friend

yes you take talent over size but if a 220 pound potential 20 goal banger is there at 25 , u take him over a 180 lb marginally better skilled guy at this point

in the second and third rounds is where you find these Bickel `s , Troy Brauer types we so desperately need

simply put we arent winning anything until our secondary support players are upgraded , and more size on the top 6

u dont go to war with Moen , Colby , Dumont , etc...

this draft can fill those needs with our top 6 picks , if we chose that route

yes we look at skill but u can only have so many skilled players , many cant adjust and play bottom six roles

Look at the Bruins , when you have Paille, Thornton and Campbell on your fourth line and Kelly, Peverly on your third line to go with your skill and size on your top 6

thats whey they are contenders , solid mix

Go check how Boston acquired Thornton Paille and Campbell. They didn't cost high draft picks. Trying to draft depth bangers/grinders early in the draft would be mornic for the Habs. You NEVER have too much skill, because if you have extra it's great trade bait to add missing pieces to a contender or to get more high draft picks.

If you draft depth players you take them with late pick or sign them as FA's.

PLUS I don't find the Habs are hurting for thise type of players, if you look at last night Halpern White Moen and Prust all had strong games. If you need to add go the FA route or make a minor trade, but NEVER use premium picks on 4th liners...NEVER!!!

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Bourque ≠ Rodney Dangerfield

picture.php

Bourque = playoffs warrior

BourqueasKhalDrogoPNG_zps877a11d7.png

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Bourque has big time stepped up.

I don't think that in the past he's been unfairly maligned though.

Start of the year: Awesome, guess this year he has something to prove, feels at home with the Habs
Concussion...
Back from Concussion: Struggling to make passes and put the puck in but clearly skating his but off and putting pressure. Hands of stone.
Playoffs: So far, terrific

I still think he can take it up a notch. I remember the Heritage Classic when he scored two goals against us and also watching him in other Calgary games, the guy is also able to snipe and was actually known for his speed and wristshot. He's since kind of seen clumsy with the puck, not able to have great control over it with shots being just terribly off. Now that I'm seeing the rejuvenated Bourque, i really think (after that sick backhand) that he can be a legitimate force from outside the crease with his shot.

Patches was able to do that + rush to the net LAST YEAR (as was Cole, the latter part).
Bourque is capable of the same.

I think the biggest change I see is that he's happy in MTL. He even referred to the team as a family when speaking about the hit on Lars. I credit MT and MB with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad