Bournival and his future in Montreal.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So I think its apparent that we have ourselves a player in Bournival. But how good can he get? What role will je fill?

I am starting to really believe that he can be a second line winger. He has capable puck skills, solid instincts, and good enough strength and size to be a secondary scorer (while playing in a defensive role). But his speed is what could make him better than similar style players (it might net him 10 more points. Which is huge) . His top speed, agility and acceleration are all very nice. That kind of mobility not only helps him cover assigents and kill penalties, but it helps him get open more and create problems for defenders.

He is a centre though, and i don't think he can produce enough at C to be a #2. Hell likely not get a shot at wing in the coming years (behind Pac, Gally, Gally, and the influx of more offensive wing prospects). The great thing is that he can develop steadily behind Plek, Eller and Galch.

On the other hand, we still need to see a bit more to see if he is overachieving; but hes definitely an NHLer. I think his versatility and speed will end up serving us nicely wherever he is in the lineup.

What are your thoughts on his futire?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So I think its apparent that we have ourselves a player in Bournival. But how good can he get? What role will je fill?

I am starting to really believe that he can be a second line winger. He has capable puck skills, solid instincts, and good enough strength and size to be a secondary scorer (while playing in a defensive role). But his speed is what could make him better than similar style players (it might net him 10 more points. Which is huge) . His top speed, agility and acceleration are all very nice. That kind of mobility not only helps him cover assigents and kill penalties, but it helps him get open more and create problems for defenders.

He is a centre though, and i don't think he can produce enough at C to be a #2. Hell likely not get a shot at wing in the coming years (behind Pac, Gally, Gally, and the influx of more offensive wing prospects). The great thing is that he can develop steadily behind Plek, Eller and Galch.

On the other hand, we still need to see a bit more to see if he is overachieving; but hes definitely an NHLer. I think his versatility and speed will end up serving us nicely wherever he is in the lineup.

What are your thoughts on his future?

I think he is a middle-six Winger or Center already and will only get better. He will be as valuable as Benoit Brunet was, if not more, for many years. His top end might be as high as Thomas Plekanec.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

There is a chance he's overachieving a bit but it's like 70/30 in favour of him not overachieving.

I really don't know how much he can improve but he seems to have the right work ethic and is still quite young. He's definitely more skilled than i thought.

He's pacing for 20+ which is pretty amazing considering none of us really thought he could do that even in his prime let alone at 20-21. Doesn't seem like he's a fluke. No D'agostini that's for sure.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He seems to be a really good third line winger, his skating is excellent and his hands are very good. He's in superb shape and he seems to have a bit of an edge to his game, and if there is ever an injury in top six, he'd be the perfect fill in, really nice find by Gauthier. (Hate to admit that)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

My opinion of his is that he is a guy that could play multiple roles.

He gives a coach and GM flexibility in that he can be on an offensive or defensive line and can play C or wing. His value is based more on effort, tenacity and speed than pure skill, but if you play him with skilled players he can put up 45-50 points in a season.

A permanent role would be 2nd or 3rd line winger or #3 center.

Halifaxhab*

He gives a coach and GM flexibility in that he can be on an offensive or defensive line and can play C or wing. His value is based more on effort, tenacity and speed than pure skill, but if you play him with skilled players he can put up 45-50 points in a season.

I think you're bang on here.....even if you are from Moncton! :sarcasm:

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
When he's fully developed, more mature and stronger, I see him becoming a Pleky type of player!

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
Yeah I see him being our new Plekanec as well. Hard worker, straight forward game, responsible, speedy. Hopefully he keeps it up!

Lionel Mandrake

I slot him as the 3rd line C of the future. With the depth we have at that position it's obvious we'll be trading one of our centers at some point to fill a hole either on the wing or on D. Won't be anytime soon mind you, but in a couple years I can see Bournival anchoring a solid and versatile 3rd line.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I am on board with this assessment as well. The Benoit Brunet comparison seems a pretty good one though it looks like Bournival has better offensive ability and upside. Yet another really nice, where did he suddenly come from surprise from the prospect pool.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I think this year he has what it takes to put up 15g-15a-30pts. Not bad for a rookie.

I think what you see is it though. Could give you a 20 goal season or 2 along the way if timing is on his side, but I think he's a bottom six that can fill in on the top 6 for injury or shuffling lines type thing.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I love this guy. How can you not love a player who will give you 100% every time he steps on the ice. We already have a couple guys who do that (Plekanec, Eller) but it never hurts a team to have more.

I bet that in his prime he'll be a 20G/20A third line center who plays time on the PP and PK.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I wasn't expecting much from Bournival but I must say that I'm impressed. Has he ever played Center since he's a pro though?

I think he'll be a "stellar" 3rd line player than can fill up on the two first line when there will be injuries.

Bournival - De La Rose - Andrighetto, that could be a nice 3rd line in a few years!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He's a guy who will be able to play on any line, any position, and any situation. The Habs ultimate utility player. I love how well rounded his game is already.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
He'll be the 2nd/3rd line two-way replacement for Gio.

That. Gio is gone next year and Bournival is the replacement. Eventually better than old Gio, too. Which is good, because for all the flack Gio gets, you still need somebody to replace his contribution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad