Boudreau's Legacy

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wanted to do this thread to gather opinions, but I didn't want to do it on the main board at the risk of drawing ire from anyone (I'm sure I still might and I'm sorry).

Anyway, with Boudreau looking like he could be taking his third team to another division title, will this have any effect on his legacy as a coach, or does he still have to win a cup to improve his image?

With that said, if the Wild make it to the SCF or *knock on wood* win the cup this season (or next), what does that do for his legacy? Where would he rank among active coaches based on various season results that could occur this year?

Again, just looking for opinions to compare to my own. I always thought Boudreau was a good coach, but helped out immensely by having stars on his team every year he's coached. But with Granlund's emergence and the way the team is playing this year, I'm beginning to see he has more to do with it than I originally thought.

So what do you guys think?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's a great coach... top 5 for sure... if he wins a cup, I think people will say he's the greatest active coach.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Boudreau needs to win a Game 7 (or a Cup). Otherwise he'll just be a great Regular Season coach, that can't get it done in the Playoffs.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's a great coach... top 5 for sure... if he wins a cup, I think people will say he's the greatest active coach.

Over Babcock and Quenneville? How much of their success do you think people attribute to having superstar players?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Sutter (LA) and his 2 Cups
Quinville (Chi) and his 3 Cups
Babcock 1 Cup, 2 Finals losses, Det Playoff streak, what he's doing in Tor

They would easily be ahead of BB for active coaches.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

If Boudreau can win a cup with the Wild, Boudreau has to at least challenge Babcock though, right? Babcock has a 20 year streak or whatever, but Boudreau has 8 straight division titles and possibly a 9th this year. I can definitely see Babcock being over Boudreau still, but it's gotta be close.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Cups themselves define great teams, and those coaches will remain great coaches, but BB's resume of wins will look rather gaudy against them once he has the cup as well.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Cups themselves define great teams, and those coaches will remain great coaches, but BB's resume of wins will look rather gaudy against them once he has the cup as well.

To add to this, Boudreau has the best winning percentage of any coach, and by a pretty decent margin over Babcock and Quenneville. That's not even including any stats from this year either.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Boudreau can win a cup with the Wild, Boudreau has to at least challenge Babcock though, right? Babcock has a 20 year streak or whatever, but Boudreau has 8 straight division titles and possibly a 9th this year. I can definitely see Babcock being over Boudreau still, but it's gotta be close.

If BB wins a Cup this year I would put him with John Tortorella. Bunch of Playoffs made, 1 Cup, lots of early exits.

Coaches are judged more heavily for their Playoffs successes more than regular seasons. Lindy Ruff 1 Cup final loss, 3 Conference Finals losses is ahead of BB in lots of people's minds.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If BB wins a Cup this year I would put him with John Tortorella. Bunch of Playoffs made, 1 Cup, lots of early exits.

Coaches are judged more heavily for their Playoffs successes more than regular seasons. Lindy Ruff 1 Cup final loss, 3 Conference Finals losses is ahead of BB in lots of people's minds.
I think you are overstating the playoff results.

Lemaire was considered one of the greatest coaches in history, and he didn't have a lot of cup rings as a coach. His regular season performances with the rosters he was given was why.

Cups complete legacys, they don't define them on their own. You look what what BB has done in the regular season, and then you add a cup ring to that resume, and he jumps to the top, because what he's doing hasn't been done.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think you are overstating the playoff results.

Lemaire was considered one of the greatest coaches in history, and he didn't have a lot of cup rings as a coach. His regular season performances with the rosters he was given was why.

Cups complete legacys, they don't define them on their own. You look what what BB has done in the regular season, and then you add a cup ring to that resume, and he jumps to the top, because what he's doing hasn't been done.

No Cup Finals, so right now he's the Marty Schottenheimer of the NHL.

He wins the Cup this year I still have him around 4th as active coaches. He wins 2 in a row then he'd be top on the list.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No Cup Finals, so right now he's the Marty Schottenheimer of the NHL.

He wins the Cup this year I still have him around 4th as active coaches. He wins 2 in a row then he'd be top on the list.
Agree, he can't crack the top 3-4 without the cup... but with the cup he's being argued as being as good or better than Babcock IMO.

Babcock was actually argued as the best coach in the league even before he won the cup... Coach Q was more like BB before he won... was being called a great regular season coach but a post season failure before the Chicago run.

I think BB leapfrogs Sutter and Q for sure with a cup. Babcock is the only other coach that would have claim as best active coach IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad