Confirmed with Link: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is some good news. Last year, we had an injured Erik for 80% of the season, Brassard coming off surgery so he couldn't train, and Turris distracted by his contract situation.

This fall, we will (if all goes well), have a healthy and determined Erik, a healthy 1C in Duchene, maybe a healthy Ryan, and a few kids like Brown/Batherson/White/4th overall auditioning for spots.

In theory, we should be in a better place this year than last.

But whatever happens (like if Boucher & Co are fired mid-season), keep whoever we hire for Belleville IN Belleville. We need to think of the future here, and give the kids in Belleville stability and a good developmental system.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
There is some good news. Last year, we had an injured Erik for 80% of the season, Brassard coming off surgery so he couldn't train, and Turris distracted by his contract situation.

This fall, we will (if all goes well), have a healthy and determined Erik, a healthy 1C in Duchene, maybe a healthy Ryan, and a few kids like Brown/Batherson/White/4th overall auditioning for spots.

In theory, we should be in a better place this year than last.

But whatever happens (like if Boucher & Co are fired mid-season), keep whoever we hire for Belleville IN Belleville. We need to think of the future here, and give the kids in Belleville stability and a good developmental system.
Brassard started where he left off in the playoffs and the struggles started shortly after we acquired Duchene which means Turris wasn't around for very long

Last edited:

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Why do you guys think Boucher lost the room? I dunno, seems like he's super players' coach. Maybe even too much.

Reactions: DrEasy

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Why do you guys think Boucher lost the room? I dunno, seems like he's super players' coach. Maybe even too much.

Yeah I'd agree with this. If Boucher had lost the room the player's exit interviews would have shown that and this ridiculous vote of confidence to the entire coaching staff to start next year probably would not have happened.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
I'm fine with Boucher coming back. It's nice to see Dorion buck the trend of one and done with this guy, so it will be nice to see if Guy can turn things back around in the right direction. People can say what they want but with all that went wrong this past year I personally doubt prime Scotty Bowman could have coached this team to a position much better than 30th.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm fine with Boucher coming back. It's nice to see Dorion buck the trend of one and done with this guy, so it will be nice to see if Guy can turn things back around in the right direction. People can say what they want but with all that went wrong this past year I personally doubt prime Scotty Bowman could have coached this team to a position much better than 30th.

I don't want any more one and done coaches either (although I think Cameron had to go and only got to coach past the interim stage because Hammond got him a job), but the thing that makes me nervous is not having our first round pick. If we give Boucher 20 or 30 games and we are in too deep of a hole not only is the season lost, but we get nothing in the lottery. We either need to get better quickly, somehow get our first back, or next year is a lost year.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't want any more one and done coaches either (although I think Cameron had to go and only got to coach past the interim stage because Hammond got him a job), but the thing that makes me nervous is not having our first round pick. If we give Boucher 20 or 30 games and we are in too deep of a hole not only is the season lost, but we get nothing in the lottery. We either need to get better quickly, somehow get our first back, or next year is a lost year.
Just accept it. Next year will be a lost year if Karlsson isn't back.. even if he is things don't look great. It'll be kind of a rebuild year -1. Burn years off of terrible contracts Dorion/Murray signed and wait for terrible coach's contract to expire. Hopefully after 2 basement years, Melnyk actually fires Dorion and we get a reset.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Sure, they're giving Boucher another chance after a horrid season, all well and good, but not only will he have no new input on the special teams, but he's very likely to be without Karlsson to mask the glaring issues with his system that were present even when we made it to the ECF.

This won't end well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As it was with every other team he’s been on.

Something tells me it’s more than a coincidence.
In both cases his team really overachieved in year one and in both cases his older goalies predictably regressed in year two sure other teams probably weren't caught off guard in year two and had better plans to defeat his system but imo there are a ton of factors that lead to our performance this season, laying the blame entirely on Boucher would be shortsighted. He definately has issues to correct though.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I hate the idea of a lame-duck coach.

Knowing how close Boucher was to being fired this spring, I have a hard time taking him seriously and all I have to do is watch the games. The players have to take orders from this guy, whose fitness for the job has essentially been under public scrutiny by management.

Ugh. Here's hoping for a miracle.

Edit: Wasn't Vigneault just fired? He seems like the type who might actually accept a job in Ottawa and has a pretty decent track-record between the Nucks and Rangers.

I don't know much about him aside from that he loves Tanner Glass and Dan Girardi (?).

Vigneault is still collecting his pay check from the Rangers,who signed him to an extension last year.

Vigneault will make $4 million for the 2018-19 season, and $4.25 million for the 2019-20 season... so doubt Ottawa would be able to offer him a contract that would entice him to give up what the Rangers are still on the hook for.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Good. I have grown weary of the Ottawa Coaching Carousel.

2017 Dorion: Great job taking the team to the ECF this year! Now do it again without a #2 dman.

EDIT: Just read that Boucher will take over the PP.... I though he already ran the PP?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Vigneault is still collecting his pay check from the Rangers,who signed him to an extension last year.

Vigneault will make $4 million for the 2018-19 season, and $4.25 million for the 2019-20 season... so doubt Ottawa would be able to offer him a contract that would entice him to give up what the Rangers are still on the hook for.

The rangers would only be on the hook for what our contract doesn't cover if we signed him, so if Vigneaut signed here for say 1 mil, the rangers would continue to pay him the balance. If we signed him for more that he was getting, the rangers would be completely off the hook.

I doubt he'd come here without some incentive though, so it could be a case where he refuses to sign with us unless it's a raise over what he's getting to sit at home.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Why is that? Would you say its because our owner has no money?? Seems like that's what you are getting at.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
One of the few here that called it, Boucher returning that is .......... but did think both assistants would be gone though.
Actually I don't personally know many people that thought he was gone, all mainly due to Melnyk not wanting to pay another coach, nothing to do with how he performed cause we all know how that went.

Reactions: NyQuil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Actually I don't personally know many people that thought he was gone, all mainly due to Melnyk not wanting to pay another coach, nothing to do with how he performed cause we all know how that went.
Yeah, pretty sure most who wanted him gone, expected him to stay.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Wouldn’t have wanted him anyway.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
We can get other teams first rounders by trade. As we learned finishing near the bottom doesn't necessarily guarantee a high pick.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Boucher is smart. Hopefully he realizes he needs to make changes and then implements smart ones. and agree that PD needs to shut his yap. Draft and develop philosophy is awesome, stick to it but less talk in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad