Confirmed with Link: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2010
You guys talk like there's a lineup of highly qualified coaches who are beating down our doors to take that job. No one wants to coach/work/play in Ottawa. Face the facts.
People would come if we paid them, that's the issue.
We'd overpay but that's okay if they were to best people for the job.

Reactions: Deku

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Probably on a short leash though. If we get off to a bad start, he likely won’t stay on.

This shouldn't make anyone feel better. The whole concept of "short leash" is a joke, it just cripples the team right from the beginning of the season. Either bring him back for the whole year or don't being him back at all. Firing him midseason to just hand the gig to Crawford is just setting Crawford up to fail from the outset.

At least in Habs Land they recognized that their coaching staff needed some change and they did hit. Here, Melnyk just doesn't want to pay any new staff, so they don't.

Say bye to Karlsson. Duchene and Stone should just follow suit as well, this organization is going nowhere with Dorion/Melnyk running things.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
You guys talk like there's a lineup of highly qualified coaches who are beating down our doors to take that job. No one wants to coach/work/play in Ottawa. Face the facts.

Plenty of qualified coaches in the AHL and college ranks that have put in the time and developed young players that are looking for a coaching opportunity.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Moving Marc Crawford into the head coaching role was an option. Unfortunately that would have meant potentially hiring a new assistant coach and that would have costed $$

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I think Trent Mann will get the Belleville gig.
Trent or Troy?

Trent currently works for us as Chief Amateur Scout; Troy (his brother) was head coach of Hershey for the past 4 years, head coach of their ECHL affiliate the year before, and an assistant in Hershey for the 4 years before.

Troy could definitely be a good option.

Reactions: aligator

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think we can make that judgement without considering how tight the purse strings are. I'm curious if Boucher would be back if we had the financial backing of a team like Toronto.
The fact the purse strings are so tight and Dorion decides to blow a significant portion of his budget on guys like Burrows, Smith, Condon and Anderson does not reflect well on his managerial skills.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I am actually okay with this just because I am very curious if Boucher can turn it around. Everyone says Boucher is a one and done coach and I feel like this is the first time he gets a shot to prove people wrong.

As others have said though I am assuming the leash is short.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Troy could definitely be a good option.

Option is the key word. There should be options, not just one option.

Instead of searching from within again, lets go outside the box and find the best person for the job instead of immediately handing the job to someone who knows someone from within the organization. Quit running this organization like a circus please, that's really all I am hoping for now. Fed up of this garbage.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I am actually okay with this just because I am very curious if Boucher can turn it around. Everyone says Boucher is a one and done coach and I feel like this is the first time he gets a shot to prove people wrong.

As others have said though I am assuming the leash is short.

I'm genuinely curious about this too.

I think I'm more annoyed that nothing at all is changing on the coaching front other than a press box swap. Get rid of a couple assistant, just for shits. At least pretend you care about positive change :laugh:

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I hate it.

You wait until the season ending meetings to address the coaching situation only to publicly trash your HC and let him know he needs to completely overhaul the way he coaches and prove to you he deserves to stay. How do you expect him to have any sort of confidence going into a season knowing he's one losing streak away from being fired? His insecurity is going to rub off on the players and the rest of the staff. We are one losing streak away from having another interim coach, aka Crawford, which essentially means another throwaway season, another wasted year learning/tweaking a new system which isn't being kept once the interim is canned, all that without your first round pick.

We all know if Boucher has a bad start, he's getting fired. Himself, his staff, Dorion, the media, the fans. You're just delaying the process and hoping for some sort of miracle of God. Why not make the change now and at the very least try to prevent another scrapped season. Tally another check in Dorion's mistake column.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Boucher needs to get this team practicing and playing an attack style of offense,not chip in and grind for 60 mins.....The players wont buy into that

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I think Trent Mann will get the Belleville gig.
I read that also but was wondering if there was anything more to it than speculation he could be an option.

Edit: Troy obviously, not Trent.

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Option is the key word.

Instead of searching from within again, lets go outside the box and find the best person for the job instead of immediately handing the job to someone who knows someone from within the organization. Quit running this organization like a circus please, that's really all I am hoping for now. Fed up of this garbage.

Amongst people who would be interested in the job, Mann may very well be the best option.

He's been very successful with Hershey and has overseen the development of several solid pros:
- Grubauer
- Galiev
- Carrick
- Burakovsky
- Schmidt
- Vrana
- Bowey
- Stephenson
- Djoos
- Johansen (1st rounder 2016)

I'm not aware of the full scope of options but I have a feeling that people are ready to be mad simply because of his last name. His last name might be the only reason a coach of his caliber is willing to sign on with us.

Reactions: Deku

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Amongst people who would be interested in the job, Mann may very well be the best option.

He's been very successful with Hershey and has overseen the development of several solid pros:
- Grubauer
- Galiev
- Carrick
- Burakovsky
- Schmidt
- Vrana
- Bowey
- Stephenson
- Djoos
- Johansen (1st rounder 2016)

I'm not aware of the full scope of options but I have a feeling that people are ready to be mad simply because of his last name. His last name might be the only reason a coach of his caliber is willing to sign on with us.

His last name is probably the only reason he would be considered. Melnyk probably thinks that Troy will come work for the organization on a discount because he gets a chance to work with his brother.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
His last name is probably the only reason he would be considered. Melnyk probably thinks that Troy will come work for the organization on a discount because he gets a chance to work with his brother...lol

See, this is the type of post that re-affirms the exact suspicion I laid out in the post you're responding to.

He might be considered. If he is, it will be at least in large part due to, I dunno, his very good track record in the exact job he's applying for.

Reactions: aragorn

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
I don't mind Boucher coming back, under an extremely short leash of course, but why keep his assistants?? We've been in the bottom tenth of the league for special teams during the last two seasons, so even when we were good. Why not give that group a shakeup??

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Who cares, will be too late anyways. I wont be renewing my quarter season this secures it.

This organization is doing a fantastic job selling "hope". Season ticket holders will continue to disappear. Gonna be a pretty empty building in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad