Confirmed with Link: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Boucher's probably motivated in getting a new contract.

Definitely. In a rebuild I imagine that developing the kids is most important, as well as implementing a system that reflects the way the GM wants the team to play. So far so good...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Boucher's probably motivated in getting a new contract.

If he follows the directives from his GM, practice more, play the younger players and the Senators finish with an improved record than they did last season, I think a contract extension would almost be a given.

Question is, how much better does the record have to be , and when do you offer an extension ......... during or after the season?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boucher handling Harpur yesterday was perfect coaching. Harpurs confidence has to be sky high right now and he can build on this.

Also have Jaros nice minutes.

I like how coach is handling and developing these young D we have.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't think a winning record is expected. I am not saying it won't happen, only that it isn't a pre-requisite to an extension.

If Boucher plays ball with our directive to play the young guys, and the players respond to him, I could see a mid season extension. That gives Boucher the security to keep going with the plan.

It seemed like he may have lost the room last year, or at least guys were failing to execute for him - but we shipped out so much of our veteran core, and Boucher seems to be playing a different less stuffy system. Maybe those have alleviated any issues that might have been there.

I would have fired him last year, luckily, so far it looks like that would have been the wrong choice.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Boucher handling Harpur yesterday was perfect coaching. Harpurs confidence has to be sky high right now and he can build on this.

Also have Jaros nice minutes.

I like how coach is handling and developing these young D we have.
So with bringing up Jaros and giving Harpur more minutes what are we going to do with the current D we have? Does anyone see any trades coming soon?

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
We're harder on the forcheck so far, and the players haven't given up all hope yet (though that took about 24 games last year.. Goaltending has also held up better thus far (Andy and Condon had rough starts last year as I recall).

I like our depth on D better (obviously, Karlsson was better than anyone we have now even when he was clearly playing horrible for his standand);

DeMelo is way better than Oduya, Chabot used far more than last year, and Lajoie I like far better than Phaneuf already (though he really needs to add some muscle or figure out how to use his positioning better to beat the stronger forwards.
What are your thoughts on the young guys keeping this pace up?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
What are your thoughts on the young guys keeping this pace up?

I don't think anyone expects Tkachuk, Chabot, Tierney, and Lajoie to be 80 point players.

Tkachuk could be at 55-60 if he keeps improving.
Chabot should be at 60.
Lajoie should be at 40.
Tierney should be 50 unless he goes on a cold streak.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think a winning record is expected. I am not saying it won't happen, only that it isn't a pre-requisite to an extension.

If Boucher plays ball with our directive to play the young guys, and the players respond to him, I could see a mid season extension. That gives Boucher the security to keep going with the plan.

It seemed like he may have lost the room last year, or at least guys were failing to execute for him - but we shipped out so much of our veteran core, and Boucher seems to be playing a different less stuffy system. Maybe those have alleviated any issues that might have been there.

I would have fired him last year, luckily, so far it looks like that would have been the wrong choice.

I think that really depends on who they had hired to replace him. For example Ducharme would have been an upgrade. What he has done with the habs, and obviously did with the the WJC team the last few years looks like he is the brightest young coach around.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So Boucher is running the PP (his bread and butter) for the first time with the Sens this year?

Why did he take so long? This would have been helpful in the ECF in 2017.

Reactions: DJB

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

I think there is zero chance they will get rid of Boucher unless he has some big confrontation with PD or EM.

Why would they fire Boucher?

- Not enough wins. We're in a rebuild...aren't we supposed to suck (high draft picks) for a few years?
- Lost the room. Other than the rookies who is there to lose? Stone/Duchene...they could be traded by end of year anyways.
- Disagreement with PD on playing style. We just did a 180 in style based on directives from above to sell tickets...so I don't see this being a problem.
- Escape goat. This would be the most likely situation. If the loses build-up and the youth is getting frustrated then I could see the team making a chance for changes sake. Don't see this happening for a year or two though.

I just don't see why they would make a change.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think anyone expects Tkachuk, Chabot, Tierney, and Lajoie to be 80 point players.

Tkachuk could be at 55-60 if he keeps improving.
Chabot should be at 60.
Lajoie should be at 40.
Tierney should be 50 unless he goes on a cold streak.

Seven defencemen in the entire league scored 60 points. We've been spoiled by Karlsson, there's almost zero chance Chabot puts up 60 this season, and he may never hit 60 in a season in his entire career (and here's absolutely nothing wrong with that). Only 30 defencemen even hit 40 points, so having Lajoie scoring as a #1 defenceman in his rookie season also seems incredibly optimistic.

The forward projections seem fine (little high for my liking, but still within reason) but I think you need to re-adjust your view of defensive scoring because you're setting yourself up to be disappointed if you think 100 points between Chabot/Lajoie is anywhere near realistic.

Reactions: HSF

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think there is zero chance they will get rid of Boucher unless he has some big confrontation with PD or EM.

Why would they fire Boucher?

- Not enough wins. We're in a rebuild...aren't we supposed to suck (high draft picks) for a few years?
- Lost the room. Other than the rookies who is there to lose? Stone/Duchene...they could be traded by end of year anyways.
- Disagreement with PD on playing style. We just did a 180 in style based on directives from above to sell tickets...so I don't see this being a problem.
- Escape goat. This would be the most likely situation. If the loses build-up and the youth is getting frustrated then I could see the team making a chance for changes sake. Don't see this happening for a year or two though.

I just don't see why they would make a change.

Failure requires changes. Failure to contend for a playoff spot is sufficient to fire him. If this team is as bad as last year he deserves to be fired.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I think he is changing because he has different tools in the toolbox this year.

Agreed, kind of.

Can we agree that if he is changing, he should be changing to put in place a style of play that maximizes the talents of the style of player/style of play that the GM is drafting and developing towards?

And so does this mean that PD believes the current style of play is what will bring us the cup? Also does it mean that PD believe Boucher is the best coach to preach/teach this new style of play?

And if so...what the hell was the last 3 years?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I personally like the more up-tempo style of play. And I WANT to believe that their is a plan behind this whole rebuild with a strategy of the players/style/culture/etc that PD has in mind that ends in a cup. (Assuming he has resources, blah blah...let's not get sidetracked)

So I get a bit antsy if the coach is changing his philosophy from year to year WITHOUT the GM over-communicating the new plan/direction.

OR, maybe I am looking to hard for the next signal of incompetence...and to that I say this team has developed me well:)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Agreed, kind of.

Can we agree that if he is changing, he should be changing to put in place a style of play that maximizes the talents of the style of player/style of play that the GM is drafting and developing towards?

And so does this mean that PD believes the current style of play is what will bring us the cup? Also does it mean that PD believe Boucher is the best coach to preach/teach this new style of play?

And if so...what the hell was the last 3 years?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I personally like the more up-tempo style of play. And I WANT to believe that their is a plan behind this whole rebuild with a strategy of the players/style/culture/etc that PD has in mind that ends in a cup. (Assuming he has resources, blah blah...let's not get sidetracked)

So I get a bit antsy if the coach is changing his philosophy from year to year WITHOUT the GM over-communicating the new plan/direction.

OR, maybe I am looking to hard for the next signal of incompetence...and to that I say this team has developed me well:)

I can agree with your statements, yes.

The last 3 years? I guess they felt that was a style that was better suited for the team. I mean, 2016-2017, many even in the height of the playoff run, complained about the "style" of play. I remember responding a big who cares, we are winning. I am still more about the W than anything else, but I do see the merit of more entertaining hockey, especially when the expectations are to lose more than win.

I don't blame you for looking too hard for the next screw up lol, but I have enjoyed going to the games again. Last year was soul crushing, just a bunch of drab, stunned into despair fans watching terrible, terrible games. I can't wait to watch the game tonight from home, and looking forward to my next home game.

My son is a huge Karlsson fan. Two jerseys, 17 years old. To see him well up when he was traded was tough. He looked into buying a SJ jersey. He looked into switching teams. But he is once again texting me lineup thoughts and changes, which is nice! Looks like he is ready to enjoy the team, not fret about organizational gaffes (his reaction to the Boro Melnyk vid still makes me chuckle...wish I taped it lol) believe in the team and , who knows, maybe in time others will just enjoy the game again around here.

Reactions: aragorn

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I actually think that’s true of most of (ie not this crowd) the fan base.

If the team can stay around .500, keep the games close, and keep the fans entertained, people will come back, despite Uncle Screuge.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So with bringing up Jaros and giving Harpur more minutes what are we going to do with the current D we have? Does anyone see any trades coming soon?

oh, has Jaros proves he belongs in the NHL. already?

He has 3 NHL games under his belt, and it's too early for any trades, to make room for him at the NHL level, just yet .......... He'll spend most of the season in the Belleville, and if Ottawa decides he's ready for prime time at the TD, perhaps Wideman is moved on, or someone else.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Probably because he will want a raise once his contract expires.

So if he's offered a two year extension, at the same salary, he refuses?

He'd sign that offer so fast, the paper would burst into flames.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
So Boucher is running the PP (his bread and butter) for the first time with the Sens this year?

Why did he take so long? This would have been helpful in the ECF in 2017.

I wonder if Karlsson had a lot to do with it. I think EK ran our PP more than Boucher did. Reminds me of that Fresh Prince episode of Pass it to Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad