Confirmed with Link: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't know.... It looks similar to last year, except we have the players capable of playing the system.

Well it looks like we are fore checking with three guys instead of one or two and one high by the circles.

Boro runs around but we also arent doing the left wing lock garbage we were doing in the past too.

Im still evaluating d zone coverage but it appears more aggressive instead of passive so far.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know.... It looks similar to last year, except we have the players capable of playing the system.

We're harder on the forcheck so far, and the players haven't given up all hope yet (though that took about 24 games last year.. Goaltending has also held up better thus far (Andy and Condon had rough starts last year as I recall).

I like our depth on D better (obviously, Karlsson was better than anyone we have now even when he was clearly playing horrible for his standand);

DeMelo is way better than Oduya, Chabot used far more than last year, and Lajoie I like far better than Phaneuf already (though he really needs to add some muscle or figure out how to use his positioning better to beat the stronger forwards.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well it looks like we are fore checking with three guys instead of one or two and one high by the circles.

Boro runs around but we also arent doing the left wing lock garbage we were doing in the past too.

Im still evaluating d zone coverage but it appears more aggressive instead of passive so far.

We have tighter gaps on the points this year. Guys aren't getting all day to tee up point shots and screens.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I thought this was an interesting quote from Boucher at 1:12 :

We wanna celebrate every win. I think last year we took that for granted. Now I feel that this year, the enthusiasm is terrific.

Very different from his even keel "don't get too high and don't get too low" approach of the past couple years. Sounds like he's trying to make hockey fun again for the guys.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I indicated at the development camp that I thought they were playing a much more aggressive style at both ends & that was supported during the rookie tournament when again, I commented that they were much more aggressive this yr at both ends. This style seems to have carried over into the regular season which I am happy to see, maybe it has more to do with the extra speed in the lineup or with the youth but it certainly fits better with this lineup & is proving to be a successful remedy from last yr's disastrous systems.

While Tkachuk makes his NHL debut tomorrow night, I am also interested to see Brown, Batherson & Jaros on this team as well as a few others in the very near future. They are a bigger team, a faster team, a tougher team, a harder team to play against & a much younger team all of which bodes well for the future of this franchise. I really believe that the drafting of Brady Tkachuk has changed the face of this franchise for the better from a soft team that was easy to play against to a much peskier, tougher & harder team to play against. This team can only get better.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This might be another example of how it can pay off not giving up on people to early. I respect the decision PD made to give Guy a chance to make changes, rather than simply turfing him.

Looks real good so far, and I could listen to the guy talk all day....

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I just hope this GM & this coach stick with the younger players philosophy & continue to rid themselves of the older less productive vets & replace them with bigger & better prospects. I'm hoping this yr they replace Pyatt, Paajarvi, Carey & Wideman with the younger better players in Belleville who have a future with this team & not another older player with no future.

Hopefully, by Xmas they are able to insert Brown, Paul, Chlapik, Jaros & Batherson into Ottawa's lineup. My guess is that Formenton will be returned to junior this yr & should be in a very good position to make the team next season. PD needs to keep GB in check to make sure he plays the younger players by getting rid of the older players who are not making a difference.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This is my thinking as well.

It just looks like the old system 1.5X the speed.

The old system was force turnovers in the NZ, and funnel the puck over to EK65, and let him go on the attack.

The old PP was everyone stationary, puck the puck around, and wait for an opening.

Now there is so much movement on the PP, it's a complete change from last year.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
DpINjyDWkAM4487.jpg:large

Presented to you without comment.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is my thinking as well.

It just looks like the old system 1.5X the speed.
I don't know.. when the game is tied or we have a one goal lead we are still aggressive on the forecheck. last year was comical, we could score in the first five minutes and go right to playing 1-3-1 for the next 55. this year he tried that again in the third against Chicago and we got burned... again.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Senators must temper free rein with youth taking over blue line - Sportsnet.ca

Is he?

Don't get me wrong. It's more entertaining.

But is the change of style because that's the best way to train the youth for the future style PD and Boucher believe in...or is it to sell tickets?

The coach isn't concerned with selling tickets he' interested in developing players and winning games.

The GM is concerned with player development and winning games, not selling tickets...

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The coach isn't concerned with selling tickets he' interested in developing players and winning games.

The GM is concerned with player development and winning games, not selling tickets...

Boucher's probably motivated in getting a new contract.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Given Guy's background he may feel right at home coaching younger players hungry to play and stay in the NHL. Another contract extension for Guy would be a bonus and he knows it! Like the fact that the pp is not as predictable...Karlsson to Hoff for the one timer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad