Confirmed with Link: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
5x5 for Barry Trotz would be a great investment imo. He's a fantastic systems coach and he is the kind of guy who can get a team to the playoffs much better than most. Players enjoy playing for him and he has a long shelf-life. He would be the perfect coach to see us through a rebuild.

I personally don't have 25 million dollars but it seems like a no-brainer to me, even if my main goal was simply to make money.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Did Trotz get Quennevilled now that he won a cup? Most people started viewing him as overrated and a disappointment.

How quickly things change.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Did Trotz get Quennevilled now that he won a cup? Most people started viewing him as overrated and a disappointment.

How quickly things change.

Seems like the Caps are kinda just sticking to their plan. They really covered all their bases.

Trotz winning the cup triggered a stipulation in his contract whereby he could be extended by 2 years on a pre-agreed option contract. By winning the cup, Trotz was left to decide: take the agreed upon extension (way below current market value), or walk away and attempt to negotiate a new contract. He chose the latter, apparently seeking 25mil over 5 years.

All the while, the Caps have been grooming Todd Reirden for the job, essentially leaving them with all the leverage: either a) Trotz comes back on the pre-agreed extension, way below market value, and they tell Reirden that the job is his in two years, b) Trotz signs a long-term extension at a reasonable price and the Caps hang onto Reirden as the associate coach for as long as it remains tenable or c), the situation we're in now, Trotz makes a huge demand but the Caps have Reirden, waiting in the wings with 10 years of experience and success, ready to take over the head coaching job.

Sure, they are falling back on their Plan C, but had Trotz not won this year it likely would have been Plan A. It might not be their ideal but it's not too far from it.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Pretty wild that Boucher is in contention for 'most competent member of the front office' less than two months after everyone wanted/thought he was gone.

Mind you, 'most competent member of the front office' is the epitome of damning with faint praise.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Pretty wild that Boucher is in contention for 'most competent member of the front office' less than two months after everyone wanted/thought he was gone.

Mind you, 'most competent member of the front office' is the epitome of damning with faint praise.
I'm sure whichever kid is brought in for Take Your Kids to Work Day earns that title.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think Boucher’s influence on player personnel is over now. It was a spectacular disaster.

I think it's a two way street now, with the traffic flow heavier in Dorions lane.

I suspect we had a choice of players (4-5) from the west and Boedker was Guys favourite or #2.

I wondered the other day if Erik might actually like playing for GB, aside from shot blocking.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don't think PD is asking Guy about players anymore. This is a fast, hardworking, versatile middle six winger who has had past chemistry with Duchene. Much better for us right now than a 2nd round pick that has a small chance of being as good as MB is in a couple of seasons.

I'm not convinced there were teams lined up to take a 25ish goal scorer who is soft and played the perimeter, who brings a bad locker room rep, and an even worse GF rep. Look what Florida paid for the guy, pretty much peanuts, at least we got a solid NHL player and a prospect with some upside.

This is not Evander Kane we're talking about, this is Mike Hoffman, the guy who refuses to battle for a puck, skate hard on a back check or forecheck, and can sometimes score beautiful one-timers from the perimeter or his spot on the PP.

BritishSen

May 20, 2018
Feel bad for Boucher, he's had my support after season before last and he's working under horrid circumstances

Emerica

May 29, 2010
God with all that’s been going on with this team I had completely forgot this dude was coming back behind the bench. Can’t wait!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
God with all that’s been going on with this team I had completely forgot this dude was coming back behind the bench. Can’t wait!

He's like a shining beacon among this bunch of clowns they call Hockey Ops.. and as poor a job he did last year he is still at the head of the class in this joint.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
With recent player moves (& potentially more to come) the consensus is that Ottawa will be in the basement again this year. So how will Boucher keep his job if a winning record is not a reality? Obviously, I would expect the GM to establish some benchmarks that have to be met or exceeded, I just wonder what they are and how high they are. Given the lack of talent in the top 6 and 4, the bar shouldn’t be very high.

If we were to take a poll, my guess is that if the team was worse than 25th by November 23rd, Boucher will be shyte-canned.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With recent player moves (& potentially more to come) the consensus is that Ottawa will be in the basement again this year. So how will Boucher keep his job if a winning record is not a reality? Obviously, I would expect the GM to establish some benchmarks that have to be met or exceeded, I just wonder what they are and how high they are. Given the lack of talent in the top 6 and 4, the bar shouldn’t be very high.

If we were to take a poll, my guess is that if the team was worse than 25th by November 23rd, Boucher will be shyte-canned.
Who's his Boss again?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
He's on the last year of his deal too right? I don't think he makes it to December personally, but maybe we have another "Pesky Sens" type year and he hangs on all year.

You just know they're gonna replace him with Crawford too, so it's not like the alternative is that much (if at all) better.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's on the last year of his deal too right? I don't think he makes it to December personally, but maybe we have another "Pesky Sens" type year and he hangs on all year.

You just know they're gonna replace him with Crawford too, so it's not like the alternative is that much (if at all) better.

Agreed. Let's see if it matters ... They missed some opportunities to get a couple good young coaches , other teams took advantage of .,, even to bring in as assistants this year.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
The offensive zone and neutral zone strategy is vastly improved thus far.

Last we were horribly coached and the players lacked pace and looked like they were thinking too much.

Much, much improved thus far

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The offensive zone and neutral zone strategy is vastly improved thus far.

Last we were horribly coached and the players lacked pace and looked like they were thinking too much.

Much, much improved thus far

I don't know.... It looks similar to last year, except we have the players capable of playing the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad