Confirmed with Link: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Boucher is doing anything other than studying how Gallant plays his team and not writing every detail down then hes a complete fool and wont be making to next seasons end.

Its not as much Gallant as it is the phenomenal skating ability of Vegas. They are all speedy and elusive players who can play the body.

We, on the other hand, either have speedy, elusive, or guys who can play the body, rarely both, and some that cant do any of those things.

Reactions: Cosmix

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
And their D cores ability to close gaps and move the puck as well as anyone, its not just skating fast its playing fast. And to have a coach that believes in that style of play. Boucher literally coachs the opposite way that Vegas plays. Were going backwards, in every way imaginable in this organization.
Yeah. I don't agree with this. Boucher must have uttered the phrase "first on puck" a 1000 times since he's been here. He also talks about playing fast on a regular basis, quick passes etc.

Boucher's biggest issue is his over reliance on veteran players. Young players in the league today are fast and while they will make mistakes their speed will also cause a lot of mistakes. We need the skill and work ethic to capitalize.

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Its not as much Gallant as it is the phenomenal skating ability of Vegas. They are all speedy and elusive players who can play the body.

We, on the other hand, either have speedy, elusive, or guys who can play the body, rarely both, and some that cant do any of those things.

Oh its Gallant and playing or willing to play physical is all between the ears. It also helps if everyone buys in because physical play is contagious.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yeah. I don't agree with this. Boucher must have uttered the phrase "first on puck" a 1000 times since he's been here. He also talks about playing fast on a regular basis, quick passes etc.

Boucher's biggest issue is his over reliance on veteran players. Young players in the league today are fast and while they will make mistakes their speed will also cause a lot of mistakes. We need the skill and work ethic to capitalize.

Ya the "first on pucks " quote has been said a 100 times. But really its overall style we play which limits our ability to use that speed. Always being in a defensive mode is not conducive to playing first on puck. Boucher entire gsme plan needs to change if we are going to be relentless ans first on pucks

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

We need a system that isn't archaic. Boucher missed the mark on every facet of hockey last season.

It was the same in the cup run, but ignored because we went on a Cinderella run.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And their D cores ability to close gaps and move the puck as well as anyone, its not just skating fast its playing fast. And to have a coach that believes in that style of play. Boucher literally coachs the opposite way that Vegas plays. Were going backwards, in every way imaginable in this organization.

That's what having a simple system does. Being able to play on instinct and not having to over-think everything allows players to react instantly and aggressively.

Like you said, the opposite of Boucher.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Saying it is one thing watching the players execute the system is another. They aren't allowed to for check alot.of the time. The playing style Boucher coachs is to score off turnovers not by pressuring the puck and retaining it.

It's right there in front of us to see. Actions speak louder than words. The sens don't play a first on puck style very often. Which is why they are constantly outshot and outchanced his playing style is archaic.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Saying it is one thing watching the players execute the system is another. They aren't allowed to for check alot.of the time. The playing style Boucher coachs is to score off turnovers not by pressuring the puck and retaining it.

It's right there in front of us to see. Actions speak louder than words. The sens don't play a first on puck style very often. Which is why they are constantly outshot and outchanced his playing style is archaic.

We don't attack a puck carrier in our zone, or on the forecheck, but when Boucher talks about being first on puck it's when there is a loose puck. It's about forcing the other team to give up possession either on a dump in or buy forcing the low quality shots, and then being first on the resulting loose puck. We were far better at this in his first year and the playoff run, along with early last season.

I'd love to see us press harder on the forecheck, and pressure the puck points more in our DZ coverage; I think we'd be better off rushing the opposition to make a play and dealing with the odd quality chance when they beat the defender one on one and make a nice play,

Tbh, I don't think our issue defensively was the dmen as much as the back check through the NZ. Opposition forwards were able to go north south with speed, we rarely made them go east west to slow them down. This put the D on it's heels. You watch Vegas and Washington, or us last playoffs, and there was a lot more pressure from the forwards in our case allowing the D to step up and turn that rush east west, maybe force a loose puck battle.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wanting your players to play a certain style or way & having players who can play that style or way is two different things. What ever happened to adapting your style to the players you have & to play to their strengths? I'm not sure this coach has the ability to change his ways or is too stubborn & thinks his way is the best way which based on what we hear from players occasionally is a problem. The players seem to play better when there is less pressure on them & they are allowed to just play. Can Mark Stone play a speed game or can Hoffman play a trap game effectively?

Players get to the NHL playing a certain way & it can't be easy if the coach asks you to play a completely different style. Some can adapt & some cannot. The coach & the players don't seem like they are on the same page or that the players have bought into his systems any more. Something has to change & it's impossible to change 20 players in one yr, there needs to be some compromise. I'm not sure this coach can last another yr & there will be more chaos surrounding the team if he gets fired.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We don't attack a puck carrier in our zone, or on the forecheck, but when Boucher talks about being first on puck it's when there is a loose puck. It's about forcing the other team to give up possession either on a dump in or buy forcing the low quality shots, and then being first on the resulting loose puck. We were far better at this in his first year and the playoff run, along with early last season.

I'd love to see us press harder on the forecheck, and pressure the puck points more in our DZ coverage; I think we'd be better off rushing the opposition to make a play and dealing with the odd quality chance when they beat the defender one on one and make a nice play,

Tbh, I don't think our issue defensively was the dmen as much as the back check through the NZ. Opposition forwards were able to go north south with speed, we rarely made them go east west to slow them down. This put the D on it's heels. You watch Vegas and Washington, or us last playoffs, and there was a lot more pressure from the forwards in our case allowing the D to step up and turn that rush east west, maybe force a loose puck battle.

Vegas plays a high pressure style where they pressure the puck narrowing time and space to make plays all over the ice they also support really well... its pressure and support the pressure and transition up ice with speed; they rarely slow it down. It takes a lot of energy and a lot of work.. "relentless" is a term Boucher likes... but Vegas are relentless.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Just curious if the recent events coming to light have changed anyone's perception of Boucher? Not to let him off the hook entirely (Oduya playing top 4 D...) but I think even Scotty Bowman would have had difficulty coaching that Chernobyl of a locker room.

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Just curious if the recent events coming to light have changed anyone's perception of Boucher? Not to let him off the hook entirely (Oduya playing top 4 D...) but I think even Scotty Bowman would have had difficulty coaching that Chernobyl of a locker room.

On the other hand, one could argue, that he didn't have control over the room and lost respect of the players to come to him with these issues....

Reactions: bert

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
No

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Hard to say. everything kind of went into a tail spin shortly after the Turris/Duchene trade and we never recovered. Is that because something happened in the room? I think the Hoffman GF and Karlsson's Wife drama didn't really pick up until well after that trade, so it's hard to say that was a contributing issue, unless the spat started much earlier, and didn't quite escalate to criminal levels until later.

Certainly, it would have been exceedingly difficult to rectify things with what was going on, but the damage to Boucher's reputation was probably already done.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
That stuff didn’t really come out until the end of the season.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Tbf, I'm sure the cyber bullying wasn't just on a whim. I suspect that it was a build up from something else.
With all the wives tweeting about it I’m pretty sure you’re right here. There was definitely a ton of stuff happening before this was taken to court.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Despite his questionable coaching decisions he's always been a stand up guy. Won't forget him meeting and talking with fans at the airport fence after the Sens returned from beating the Rangers in game 6.

Reactions: Tuna99

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
The lack of leadership in this organization from ownership through the exodus of presidents and senior advisors through to the first time GM truly manifested itself on ice this year.

That's why I have little problem with Boucher coaching from a position of familiarity. From a career standpoint, I'd have done the same thing.

If he went down with his system and methods this year - the same system and methods that almost took him all the way last year - would we really look back over time and conclude that the bottom out this season was his fault?

Look to the lack of support and leadership above, look to the depth being gutted going into this season, look elsewhere before looking at Boucher.

He may not be the right coach for this team - in fact, I'd say he isn't the right coach for Karlsson. Boucher's push to have him block shots so relentlessly may have cost Erik substantially based on his next long term contract, and the effect the down year he had injury wise stemming from his buy in to Boucher's style of play last year will have in the overall number. After last years playoff run, he was looking at $100 million. Now, after an off season with no training camp or physical activity, he struggled and gave away some negotiating leverage as a result. That, to me, is mainly to do with Erik buying into Boucher's plan.

But I don't begrudge Boucher at all for sticking with what he knows works well. The onus was on Dorion to manage the coaching style with the correct personnel, and on Eugene for providing Dorion with the resources to do so. Both did not do their share, and take the heat before Boucher in my mind.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Two guys that I haven't been critical of in this fiasco are Boucher and Dorion.

Does anyone really believe either of these guys wanted to replace Methot with Oduya? Does anyone believe Dorion wants to trade away assets in order to cover player bonuses and backup goaltender salaries? Does anyone think either of them really believe working in the smallest front office in the NHL is actually a good thing? Does anyone believe our Head Coach really wants to be a Pro-Scout or is that a position he's been forced into because we have little to no staff.

Both of these guys have been put in a position to fail. I'm not saying they are good at their jobs, or even moderately competent for that matter, but there's no fair way to judge either of them given what they have to work with.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Yes indeed, out-shot, out-chanced and out-scored. The Senators played a neutral zone defensive style in their first season under Boucher and continued that style into season two before failure forced a change of sorts. The forechecking in the O-zone was virtually non-existent in year 1 and was seen on occasion in year 2. Dorion deserves quite a bit of the blame too for his trades as GM as well as being part of the management team in prior years which gave us Michalek, Cowen and Greening that turned into an overpaid Phaneuf with a boat-anchor contract that turned into a totally done Gaborik with a bloated contract too. That should be enough to get a pink slip without mentioning the Burrows trade and the Thompson acquisition.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Barry Trotz is available now apparently. I'd think that he'd be an upgrade on Boucher, yeah?

Pipe dream, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->