Speculation: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question [Part 2]

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
See if PD takes a demotion. He was the wrong guy. Needs some more mentoring. The guy is in his 40s

I doubt it happens since PD just signed a three yr deal which IMO they (EM/PD) have agreed on a plan whereby EM wants certain things to happen & PD is the person to get it done for him. I doubt that EM wants a veteran GM to tell him what to do or to stop him from doing what he wants, I imagine he prefers yes men to anyone telling him he is wrong. I don't see EM hiring Lou or David Poille or Holland or anyone like that to mentor PD, I thing he prefers to pull his own strings.

I think everything we have seen so far & will see by the end of this season has been decided by EM already & will be implemented by PD. IMO it's EM ordering PD to drive the bus off the cliff, clearly not an ideal situation for PD to be in, but he wanted the job. Unfortunately in the NHL you are judged by your results & PD's results are terrible whether through his own doing or pushed by ownership.

Reactions: Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
How does Guy Boucher still have a f***ing job? He is trash. Is melnyk really that cheap that he wont fire a shit coach? Is dorion really this f***ing dumb?

Boucher is garbage. Thankfully he will be gone from the f***ing league after this. No fanbase should have to suffer through such shit coaching for this long.

f*** Guy Boucher

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How does Guy Boucher still have a ****ing job? He is trash. Is melnyk really that cheap that he wont fire a **** coach? Is dorion really this ****ing dumb?

Boucher is garbage. Thankfully he will be gone from the ****ing league after this. No fanbase should have to suffer through such **** coaching for this long.

**** Guy Boucher

Come on now Rafi...how do you really feel?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Come on now Rafi...how do you really feel?

Are you not frustrated? No competent gm or owner would accept these results. Obviously melnyk and dorion are incompetent but it is still frustrating that they dont nske intelligent decisions.

Why even be a fan of this organization if this is how they are going to run it? The fanbase should just stop going to games and just wait for this organization to get its shit together

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Man I wish PD was my boss. I could f*** up on daily basis without any repercussions.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Watching the Super Bowl yesterday, one of the worst Championship games i’ve sat through in my life, a friend of mine said something that stuck with me. Belichick’s genius is that he “coaches with no ego.”

He’ll scheme anything and change it if it’s not working. He doesn’t have a philosophy or fundamental belief about how the game should be played, or how his teams should be structured.

He reinvents himself, and his team, season-by-season, game-by-game. He considers the players he has, the opposition he’s playing, and creates a game plan to win.

Yesterday, McVay was absolutely unable to alter his game plan when the Pats did something that he didn’t expect them to do. So many coaches refuse to deviate from their ‘plan’ even as it collapses around them.

Boucher is a perfect example, except he’s done it for almost 2 seasons now.

Look at how he treated Chabot last year. Look at his insistence of playing 11-7. His team is failing, game over game, but he doesn’t change. He’s completely unwilling to abandon his philosophy, because he thinks he has it all figured out. It’s not his gameplan, it’s something else.

That’s why he’ll never be a winner.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
well were on a roll with another 5 game losing streak!!

Since December the Sens record is 8 wins and 19 losses. In 13 of those games the opponent has scored 4 or more goals. (2 games with 6 goals against, 7 games with 5 goals against, 4 games with 4 goals against). Also during that stretch in 5 of those games the opponent scored 3 goals against.

And like you said we are on a 5 game losing streak.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Was going to say, Would like him gone now.

But I can’t without seeing what he has to deal with behind the scenes.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Watching the Super Bowl yesterday, one of the worst Championship games i’ve sat through in my life, a friend of mine said something that stuck with me. Belichick’s genius is that he “coaches with no ego.”

He’ll scheme anything and change it if it’s not working. He doesn’t have a philosophy or fundamental belief about how the game should be played, or how his teams should be structured.

He reinvents himself, and his team, season-by-season, game-by-game. He considers the players he has, the opposition he’s playing, and creates a game plan to win.

Yesterday, McVay was absolutely unable to alter his game plan when the Pats did something that he didn’t expect them to do. So many coaches refuse to deviate from their ‘plan’ even as it collapses around them.

Boucher is a perfect example, except he’s done it for almost 2 seasons now.

Look at how he treated Chabot last year. Look at his insistence of playing 11-7. His team is failing, game over game, but he doesn’t change. He’s completely unwilling to abandon his philosophy, because he thinks he has it all figured out. It’s not his gameplan, it’s something else.

That’s why he’ll never be a winner.
The team roster sucks though

You can throw any combo of Harpur Boro Ceci demelo Lajoie and ur defense will suck no matter what

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
See if PD takes a demotion. He was the wrong guy. Needs some more mentoring. The guy is in his 40s

I really dont think his age has anything to do with it, he is a snake that is disingenous not only to the fans but his players as well. The irony of him preaching character is truly unbelievable with his track record. I want a real hockey guy that knows how a dressing room works on top of being intelligent and takes analytics into consideration but not as the bottom line. Pierre never played hockey at a high enough level to understand the players he is drafting, signing and trading for. Its obvious by the turmoil in the dressing room, its obvious he lacks the ability to evaluate talent at the pro level. I expect nothing with Melnyk at the helm, however if there is new ownership I have no doubt he will be demoted to being a scout again or fired. He is not qualified for this position and never will be, he is an amateur scout.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Maybe try an up and coming NCAA coach?

I'd be real gun shy about that. Hakstol was a disaster and Montgomery seems below average (but admittedly I haven't followed the Stars all that close, could be that Nill is an issue more than JM).

If we have to go the cheap route I'd hope they go after someone with legitimate AHL success in the last few years. Sheldon Keefe type of guy (I don't think we'll be in the market for Keefe himself since he'll probably have more choices than this tire fire).

If we're going to slash player salaries though we really need to bring in someone with a bit of a pedigree, imo. It's amazing what good coaching has done in Montreal to mask that teams issues. I'm not saying we're in the market for a Julien/Quenneville level guy, but it would be nice to hire someone that might actually attract interest when they are (eventually) fired (unlike our last 5 guys who seemed to fall off the face of the earth).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Coming out of their bye and they lose the next three,Guy really has them motivated....lol

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd be real gun shy about that. Hakstol was a disaster and Montgomery seems below average

The problem isn't NCAA coaches, it's that they're choosing the wrong NCAA coaches.

GMs are using bad logic. They pick a guy who has a history of winning at the NCAA level and assume "winning = winning, if they won there, they'll win here".

The NCAA is an entirely different beast than the NHL. Coaches are involved in recruiting players. They pick guys who either they know will fit in their system, pr giys who are so skilled that they will succeed regardless of the system. NCAA coaches have guys for 4 years max, sometimes less. A lot of NCAA is managing young adults who also have classes to attend, who aren't yet millionaires, who may never play meaningful pro hockey. NCAA coaches are far more able to coach via "culy of personality", and be ultra demanding - if it takes 3-4 years for a player to tune out a coach, it's fine because they'll have aged out of the program by then anyways.

I'm all for hiring NCAA guys, but they never take INNOVATIVE NCAA guys. They just take the guy with the best track record, and ignore why he was successful in the first place.

Hakstol is a great NCAA coach. Like, legit one of the best. His coaching style does not translate at ALL at the NHL level, though.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad