Speculation: Boucher: to return or not to return, that is the question [Part 2]

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Actually the best goaltending we’ve ever had has been Anderson.

He had an 18 game stint in 2011 after arriving from Col where he put up a .939 S%.... those are epic numbers.

He then followed it up a few years later playing only 24 games for us (chicken year?), but posting a sparkling .941 s% over those 24 games. That is I think the second highest s% ever posted over that many games.

4th all time in playoff S% is also indicative of some elite goaltending in the post season for this team. If we had Andy in net instead of Hasek, we would have been an even better team, and with Andy’s playoff numbers we would have been as close to a shoe in for a cup as possible.

In sum, Andy has definitely had amazing stretches of goaltending, the problem is that he has totally been a season on, season off guy.

amazing stretches of goaltending. sure. I buy that. we're talking stretches where we receive top 5 goaltending. but surrounding those stretches are equally long or longer stretches of not good enough goaltending. look at Boston. or montreal. a decade of high end goaltending apart from one off year for each of rask and price.

26 years. it' d be nice to have a 10 year stretch of a consistent top 12 or so starter that is able to play 55+ games.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Much like the first 50 games, the final 32 will be about assessing and developing young players, that is if head coach Guy Boucher can forget about trying to save his job long enough to let the kids play. Against Arizona, Boucher and defensive coach Marc Crawford played veteran Cody Ceci 21:11 and rookie Christian Wolanin all of 8:08, despite the Senators trailing for most of the night. Wolanin has offensive upside, evidenced by his recent nomination for the AHL all-star team. Ceci is among those who could be moved at the deadline.
Last-place Senators stumble into all-star break with UFAs unsigned - Sportsnet.ca

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Can we not have "confirmed with link" in the title anymore? I keep seeing this thread pop up and hoping it says "confirmed with link: boucher sacked"

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If we are just planning to nothing but gut the team,then he likely stays the year

I suppose. But he's still coached the team in back to back seasons to a basement finish. That in itself should be enough to can him and at least let someone else try and make it better.

But I agree . He is here to stay likely until the end of the season and hopefully Dorion reevaluates the coaching in the off season

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I’ve assumed EM had no interest in paying another coach to ride out the season with a group expecting high turnover year to year.

No point dropping another million on a lost season and having a negative first year for a new coach.

Reactions: Cosmix

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I suppose. But he's still coached the team in back to back seasons to a basement finish. That in itself should be enough to can him and at least let someone else try and make it better.

But I agree . He is here to stay likely until the end of the season and hopefully Dorion reevaluates the coaching in the off season

I 100% agree. Coaching needs to change. Look at the NYI roster and tell me that it's wayyyy better than ours. Because it's not. Ours might be better tbh. Yet they're currently sitting atop the Metro division, 3 points ahead of the stacked rosters of Pittsburgh and Washington, with a game in hand.

The difference? Trotz >>>>>>>>>>>> Boucher.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Should have just cleaned house at the break, it's going to happen next season anyways. might have well had a head start with an interim coach or something.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Should have just cleaned house at the break, it's going to happen next season anyways. might have well had a head start with an interim coach or something.

There's no way Melnyk would sign off on paying an interim coach though. You just know the only option besides Boucher was Crawford. For that reason alone I'm fine riding it out. All these guys better be gone the day after the season ends though.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
There's no way Melnyk would sign off on paying an interim coach though. You just know the only option besides Boucher was Crawford. For that reason alone I'm fine riding it out. All these guys better be gone the day after the season ends though.
There has to be a CTC concession employee to take over...or hell...let Melnyk take on another role in the organization...lol

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
He is too stubborn in his ways to adapt to anything beyond "first on puck" whatever the f*** that means anymore.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
No interim coach, please. Team can go on a run that convinces management hi is a right guy for job. Just finish a season and take best available at summer.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->