Movies: Bottoms

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I figured I'd start a thread for it if anyone is interested.

Probably my favorite movie of the summer and it has the potential to be a cult hit in the Heathers, OG Buffy, Porky's kind of way.

It's from the revived MGM version of Orion Pictures and has that spiritual feel to what old school Orion movies were; good pacing, shut off your mind, enjoy, social commentary without beating you over the head, and actually make going to the movies a fun experience

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
After Shiva Baby, I've been very curious to see what Emma Seligman would do next.

I know I'm probably not the target audience for this film, but I plan on checking it out. It seems to be catching some buzz.

Reactions: Roo Returns

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I am not sure how long it will hang in theaters, but it seems to have a decent shot at making back its budget, at least.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This isn't released like a typical Hollywood film. It's still in the process of expanding it's theatrical release.

It's doing quite well actually.

(Aug 25th - 31st) 10 Theaters'
(Sep 1st - Sep 9th) 715 Theaters
(Sep 10th - ) 1265 Theaters

As long as it continues to get a widening release it has a pretty good chance to make it's budget back.

Last edited:

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
This isn't released like a typical Hollywood film. It's still in the process of expanding it's theatrical release.

It's doing quite well actually.

(Aug 25th - 31st) 10 Theaters'
(Sep 1st - Sep 9th) 715 Theaters
(Sep 10th - ) 1265 Theaters

As long as it continues to get a widening release it has a pretty good chance to make it's budget back.
That is interesting. Do you know if 1265 is the widest it goes and if/when it will expand next? If this is as wide as it goes, I am guessing it sticks at 1265 until a given theater decides to bump it?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
That is interesting. Do you know if 1265 is the widest it goes and if/when it will expand next? If this is as wide as it goes, I am guessing it sticks at 1265 until a given theater decides to bump it?
It depends on how well it does.

It's the opposite of a major release. A big film gets a wide release (4K theaters) right away, but loses theaters thereafter.

With a limited release it gets more theaters if it does well.

Bottoms did 461K in its first weekend on only 10 screens. That's fantastic. That's why it's getting an expanded release now. I doubt it ever gets to 4K screens though.

It did 2M this weekend. That a 430% increase in it's 3rd weekend compared to it's first. You would never see that from a major release.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Creating a thread about a movie or show without including the trailer should come with a permanent lifetime ban from HFBoards

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Saw this last week. Laughed quite a bit. It reminded me a LOT of a lot of late 80's and early 90's independent films. It's hard to explain why, but it just had that sort of feel to it. Odd and familiar all at the same time.

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
Saw this last week. Laughed quite a bit. It reminded me a LOT of a lot of late 80's and early 90's independent films. It's hard to explain why, but it just had that sort of feel to it. Odd and familiar all at the same time.

It looks like it should just clear its budget. I wonder what a small production like this needs to do to be considered a success.

Reactions: SmytheKing

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007

It looks like it should just clear its budget. I wonder what a small production like this needs to do to be considered a success.
I hope it does. The theatre I saw it in was actually pretty full which was nice. I'm always rooting for smaller movies to have some success so there are more of them. Marshawn Lynch was also pretty damn funny and really surprised me in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad