Bottom Feeders Rising

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Each year there is one team that was a bottom feeder that makes the jump and makes the PO's or just misses it, but really rises from the bottom.

Who is it this year, why do they, and where do they end up?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The only teams I'd call bottom feeders are VAN, BUF and ARI. Not sure I see any of those teams realistically competing for the playoffs.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Buffalo is my pick. I think they got some good pieces and if they stay healthy they will make a splash. Not sure if they can beat out the other teams for a PO but they will be chasing the WC spots.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Chicago still has a lot of veteran savvy with cup winners galore. Would not surprise me to see them back in the playoffs.

Reactions: iSophagus

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Buffalo is my pick. I think they got some good pieces and if they stay healthy they will make a splash. Not sure if they can beat out the other teams for a PO but they will be chasing the WC spots.
Beat me to it. I've felt that if Housley could get them to play a structured system, they could improve a lot.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
That's the problem though - Housley's coaching abilities are questionable at best. If BUF continues to struggle into November, Botterill needs to part ways with him.
Yeah. But to be fair, I always think that finding the right coach for a team is one of the toughest things to do. It's basically a crap shoot.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Edmonton. They’ve cemented their legacy as a bottom feeder. Will they finally climb out of the toilet? Who knows.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Buffalo and Arizona. Buffalo added quite a few nice pieces and I think the East is weaker this year. Arizona looked really solid at the end of last year, and they also improved their roster. I don't think they'll make the playoffs, but they won't be awful like they were last year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Of the "bottom feeders" from last year: BUF, OTT, ARI, MTL, DET, VAN...it's hard to see any of them suddenly jumping up into the playoffs worst-to-first style like the Avs or Devils. Both those teams at least had some decent performance in recent prior years to lend some credibility to their chance to make that kind of jump.

Seems like every year, people want to project, this is the year Buffalo finally rights the ship, but unless they get miraculous goaltending, it's still hard to see how that's going to work.

Teams like Arizona and Montreal have the potential to move up the standings a bit if they get consistently good goaltending, and it's more plausible in Montreal especially...but they're both still pretty flawed teams.

The rest of the bottom-feeders essentially just got worse. I'm going to lean toward no "bottom feeder" rising this year.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I think the Oilers make the playoffs this year. Buffalo will be better and hang around a playoff spot, but fade near the deadline.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I would say Edmonton. They are like some weird snail like creature living in a bottom of a disgusting smelly pond that only has to come up for air once every 10 years. Do they come up for air again this year? Or are they back down to the smelly dump water?

2013-07-2601_56_19_zpsb160c779.gif~c200

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad