Bottom-5 franchises of the 2010s

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Dubi Doo, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Pyrophorus

Pyrophorus Registered User

Comes down to what is the criteria?

2. Pyrophorus

Pyrophorus Registered User

but then you have after that, and we are taking the whole decade into consideration.
    How many times did the Leafs finish last?: Once
    Quite far from Oil/Sabres.

3. Voight

Voight #winning

What injury issues? He's played at least 74 games every season.

4. justafan22

justafan22 Registered User

Leafs got lucky a bit that their 10 year run of awfulness is split over 2 decades.

2005-2016 they made the playoffs once, in a 48 game season.

I believe that's the least amount of playoff appearances over that time period.

Florida had 2 (2012, 2016)

5. Fig

Fig Why so serious? Let's put a smile on that face!

Sorry, I meant initial injury concerns.

Monahan apparently had wrist issues from his draft year that he ignored until he was required to get wrist surgery on it the off season before this (the off season he had like 3-4 surgeries on a variety of things). He's had things like broken thumbs, back and groin issues as well. He said in an interview he just gutted through things, but only about a year ago did he realize he had to learn how to rehab injuries like a pro.

Many Flames fans suddenly began realizing the reason Monahan was disappearing was because he was trying to gut through a slate of injuries rather than properly rehab them on the IR. Yes, he played at least 74 games per season, but he really should have been playing less rather than further damaging his body.

6. Voight

Voight #winning

Fair point, but he's definitely worked out in terms of where he was picked IMO. Its not even like there was someone picked in the 7-10 range that they'd be better off with.

7. super6646

super6646 Registered User

That ownership mandate has led to years of mediocrity. 1 playoff win in the last half decade is gross. This year (hopefully) has a lot of sway in whether this core remains in the future or not.

8. Fig

Fig Why so serious? Let's put a smile on that face!

Agreed. But overall, from 2011-2014, Monahan is the only acceptable 1st rounder you can sorta do a rebuild around and even then he's inherently flawed. Janko and Bennett are the only other two that are reasonably usable and they are serious disappointments so far as well. That's how you end up with a crap show of a rebuild.

Thank goodness 2015 and forward have been amazing. Otherwise... blegh.

Yes and no. 2015 was necessary in the same way that that it was necessary for CBJ to go on their playoff run this season rather than cash out and mail it in. Flames fans needed a renewed spark of emotion after nearly a decade of dark times and squandered talents.

I'm actually surprised how little people know about the Flames ownership meddling (at least mostly formerly). I guess with some of the bad GM we had before and whatnot, when Sutter and Feaster started going crazy, they had to step in. I don't blame them for stepping in for that kind of stuff. However, at least the ownership group was smart enough to know they're not hockey people and brought in Burke as POHO to fix things and allowed Treliving 90% of the tools (from like half the tools before) a GM is generally afforded. Hell, even in Arizona and Ottawa two historically cheap teams allowed salary retention and Treliving hasn't been allowed to do that yet (IMO, ownership would better serve the org by allowing retention on 1 year contracts rather than allow buyouts). You're still paying a guy not to play for you, but at least it helps you get NHL currency back (as opposed to buyouts not giving you NHL currency).

The ownership is also supposedly cheap on management. They don't want to pay a coach a ton, nor GM etc. That's how much of the mess started off because they wanted to save a few bucks by having Sutter as GM over coaching. I still think we win a cup with Sutter behind the bench rather than Playfair, Keenan, Brent and Hartley behind the bench. All those rosters failed to meet expectations. They were flawed rosters, but they all played below their capabilities too. I think Sutter knew exactly how to use those rosters which was why he kept trading for certain types of players. All the other guys sorta square peg round holed everyone. But that's a different rant for a different day.

Now I do have to say, drafting and scouting was garbage under the Sutter regime. Ownership also refused to pay for that. But it improved vastly under Sutter's guidance. Feaster built on that as well and Treliving literally overhauled it. I am guessing he convinced that by overhauling the system, it actually saves ownership a ton of money by improving the product and increasing the NHL currency the org has to work with. I think we are going to be far better equipped going forward as an org in the 2020s. No need to love Treliving unconditionally, but IMO, I constantly beat the drum in stating that the man (along with Burke) really should be given recognition in sorting out some of the Mickey Mouse org level BS that has been plaguing the org for quite a while.