Bottom-5 franchises of the 2010s

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Ottawa went to game 7 of the conference finals and lost to the eventual cup winner. As bad as their situation is currently, that pretty much excludes them from this list.They also made the playoffs for half the decade.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Aves have two #1 picks on their roster. And lost the lottery twice or would have four of them. Two more bottom five finishes in Landeskug and Duchene.

Never made the finals in that decade. Maybe one playoff series win?

How is that not a bottom 5.

Who would you bump off the list then?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Vancouver is wild. Some people had them up in discussion for top 5 franchise of the decade. Crazy to see how big the swing is regarding opinions on them.

That's because they straddle the line of the decade boundary. The 10 years from 2006-2015 they're near the top, but to start the next 10 years 2015-onward they've been in the basement. Looking at cumulative point totals of the last 4 season and excluding Vegas, Vancouver is 1 point ahead of Buffalo from worst in the league. In the 10 year period I mentioned above they were 4th best in the league.

Detroit fits this same model as well, along with a few other teams I'm sure.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, any team that misses the playoffs 9 straight years in a league where half the teams make the playoffs has to be on the list. Hopefully the Canes have turned the corner, but the first 9 years were bad.

On the other hand, did they ever actually finish in the bottom 5 of the league once? Not sure but I don't think so. Averaged 85 points per season (not counting the strike shortened season) and only had less than 82 points once (14-15, when they finished with 71 points - that may have been a bottom 5 finish)

Otherwise you have a team that finished with 91, 87, 86, 83 (twice) and 82 points. Hardly the dregs of the league by any stretch, in those respective seasons.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Colorado did have the worst season of all teams this decade, but after the Duchene trade, they've been hot.
Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona are the obvious. Florida did have a year where they came first in their division. Carolina had been bad almost every year before this current one, so you can add them into the trio. All depends on who you want to add to those 4.
Edmonton
Buffalo
Arizona
Carolina

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And going by the point totals the bottom 5 in order are Edmonton, Buffalo, Florida, Arizona, and Carolina, with an honourable mention to Colorado, Toronto, Ottawa, and New Jersey.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona, New Jersey (too many bottom-10 finishes), and I'm debating putting Vancouver at 5 because of how many times they've been in the bottom of the league since 2013. But they did have a presidents trophy and cup final appearance to start off the decade.

The Devils and Canucks are the only teams out of all the franchises brought up in this thread to make a Final in the 2010s.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On the other hand, did they ever actually finish in the bottom 5 of the league once? Not sure but I don't think so. Averaged 85 points per season (not counting the strike shortened season) and only had less than 82 points once (14-15, when they finished with 71 points - that may have been a bottom 5 finish)

Otherwise you have a team that finished with 91, 87, 86, 83 (twice) and 82 points. Hardly the dregs of the league by any stretch, in those respective seasons.

True, but when you look at the full body of work prior to this season (from 09/10 to 17/18), here are the bottom teams in total points for the 740 games played.

EDM: 623 (1 playoff appearance)
BUF: 660 (2 playoff appearances)
CAR: 705 (0 playoff appearances)
FLA: 716 (2 playoff appearances)
COL: 717 (3 playoff appearances)
AZ/PH: 717 (3 playoff appearances)

Even if I include this past season, it only moves Carolina to 5th worst on the list over that stretch.

EDM: 702
BUF: 736
FLA: 802
AZ/PH: 803
CAR: 804

Even with this season, the Canes have the 5th worst record and the least amount of playoff appearances over the past 10 seasons.

Reactions: DaveG

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Colorado did have the worst season of all teams this decade, but after the Duchene trade, they've been hot.
Edmonton, Buffalo, and Arizona are the obvious. Florida did have a year where they came first in their division. Carolina had been bad almost every year before this current one, so you can add them into the trio. All depends on who you want to add to those 4.
Edmonton
Buffalo
Arizona
Carolina

We’re riding that recency bias momentum!

If not for the last two years or the last two years results had occurred early in the decade, we’d show up on more lists. Outside of that we had that one 7 game playoff exit surrounded by a whole bunch of garbage.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
True, but when you look at the full body of work prior to this season (from 09/10 to 17/18), here are the bottom teams in total points for the 740 games played.

EDM: 623 (1 playoff appearance)
BUF: 660 (2 playoff appearances)
CAR: 705 (0 playoff appearances)
FLA: 716 (2 playoff appearances)
COL: 717 (3 playoff appearances)
AZ/PH: 717 (3 playoff appearances)

Even if I include this past season, it only moves Carolina to 5th worst on the list over that stretch.

EDM: 702
BUF: 736
FLA: 802
AZ/PH: 803
CAR: 804

Even with this season, the Canes have the 5th worst record and the least amount of playoff appearances over the past 10 seasons.

it's certainly fair to say they're bottom 5 from a cumulative point of view, not disputing that.

But it's the equivalent of getting C minuses and D pluses on every test, and then at the end of the semester getting a final grade of F

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think NJ belongs anywhere on this list. They made a finals and that should automatically take them out of consideration.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona, Florida, Carolina

This is the correct answer.

7 playoff appearances combined in 45 combined seasons from 10-11 to 18-19.

Multiple 1OA selections, even more top-3 or top-5 picks (sorry Carolina).

More or less consistent mediocrity or downright awful, with some exceptions (18-19 Carolina, 11-12 Coyotes, 16-17 Oilers, 15-16 Panthers, 10-11 Sabres).

Colorado wouldn't look out of place replacing Carolina on that list either, although they do have more playoff appearances (3>1). Colorado also has 3 top-5 picks.

Carolina had sustained mediocrity while the Avs ran the gamut of excellent (13-14) to horrifyingly bad (16-17).

Edmonton and Buffalo are the clear top-2. The order under them is less clear.

Toronto would be in this if not for the recent string of 3 playoff appearances and B2B 100 point years. They certainly aren't too far from bottom-5 even with those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustin

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Toronto has to be in this honestly. Sure things are brighter now but still no playoff wins. Lest we forget..

- Trading.. Oh dear lord. Kessel for the draft picks that turned into Seguin and Hamilton.What about the picks for Rakell and Gibson for Tyler Biggs? Honestly, too many instances to type this crap out.

- Baffling management decisions regarding drafting, and pro scouting. Committing several million to players like Lombardi, Komaserik, Armstrong, Clarkson, Grabo (only to buy him out a year later), etc. On the drafting side, the Burke school of taking big tough guys over all meant a lot of picks wasted.

- The collapses.. Oh my. Regular season? Oh we got some of that lose 15 of your last 20 games to miss the playoffs. Playoffs? How about game 7 in Boston in 2013.. And 2017.

When it is all said and done, the current team is pretty good with good management, but look at the decade as a whole means no playoff wins and a ton of collapses and bottom 10 finishes consistently. However the current roster and making the playoffs won't leave them bottom 3 over consistently terrible teams like Buffalo and Edmonton.

Kessel was acquired in 2009. Komisarek was signed in 2009. Leafs didn't sign Lombardi. They acquired him from NSH with his contract, in order to get Cody Franson, in a trade that is considered a win for Toronto.

Toronto made the playoffs in 4 of the 9 seasons in the 2010's so far.

I'm not saying they had a great decade, but there are several teams who have had worse decades than Toronto.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Kessel was acquired in 2009. Komisarek was signed in 2009. Leafs didn't sign Lombardi. They acquired him from NSH with his contract, in order to get Cody Franson, in a trade that is considered a win for Toronto.

Toronto made the playoffs in 4 of the 9 seasons in the 2010's so far.

I'm not saying they had a great decade, but there are several teams who have had worse decades than Toronto.

Seguin and Hamilton were drafted by the Bruins in 2010 and 2011.

Oh yes, thank god for Cody Franson for making taking that cap dump worthwhile.

Like I said, there are worse teams in teh decades, I just think Toronto belongs close to the bottom 5. For the first part of it the management was just so bad.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Edmonton, Buffalo, Arizona and Florida are the easy top 4.

5 - I can see an argument for either Carolina or Toronto. Carolina has the huge no playoff stretch and has been worse overall than Toronto. But then they have 2 playoff series wins v 0 for Toronto which is terrible. I think I would go with Carolina being #5 but I can see either one.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seguin and Hamilton were drafted by the Bruins in 2010 and 2011.

Oh yes, thank god for Cody Franson for making taking that cap dump worthwhile.

Like I said, there are worse teams in teh decades, I just think Toronto belongs close to the bottom 5. For the first part of it the management was just so bad.

But the Leafs traded those picks for Kessel in 2009. It's a success for Boston that they made good picks, but the Leafs aren't involved at that point.

That trade worked out quiet well. Franson was solid, and we traded him back to NSH for a 1st and Leipsic. That 1st was used to trade down to get the picks that got us Travis Dermott & Jeremy Bracco. So, that's actually quiet the success for taking on Lombardi's contract. Fun Fact. Toronto actually got a 4th rounder from ARI for Lombardi as well. Player didn't turn out, but the return on taking Lombardi back was really good.

I have them around 20th, if I were to make a decade rankings I think. They definitely aren't a bottom 5 team though.

EDM, BUF, FLA, ARI, CAR all easily had worst decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad