BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Wonder how McD's foot is doing...

Hopefully he's not playing road hockey for Christmas break. :D

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
If they play like this for the rest of the season, but don't leapfrog other teams, they will be one of the best teams to not make the playoffs in a long time. I would say they are better than the worn out Pens right now by a long shot.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Making the playoffs wouldn't be that difficult as long as we are playing at a playoff pace. We're only 4 points out of it right now, and we're still 6 games away from the halfway point.

If we deserve to make it, we'll make it. There isn't a lot of ground to have to make up really.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If they play like this for the rest of the season, but don't leapfrog other teams, they will be one of the best teams to not make the playoffs in a long time. I would say they are better than the worn out Pens right now by a long shot.

I said early on that the Pens were a good bet to not make the playoffs.

They have a bad shooting percentage and save percentage as well (PDO) and teams with bad PDO rarely (if ever) make the playoffs.

The Pens have a 97.6% PDO right now which puts them out of the playoff picture... whereas the Oilers are slowly but steadily trending upwards at 98.4% right now.

It's rare for teams with under 99% PDO to make the playoffs and almost completely impossible to make it with an under 98% PDO.

Right now if those trends continue, I definitely see the Oilers as the better bet to have a shot at the playoffs.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Making the playoffs wouldn't be that difficult as long as we are playing at a playoff pace. We're only 4 points out of it right now, and we're still 6 games away from the halfway point.

If we deserve to make it, we'll make it. There isn't a lot of ground to have to make up really.

Interestingly, in order to finish at 94 points, it would require a 103 point pace for the rest of the year, which is what they did last season.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Interestingly, in order to finish at 94 points, it would require a 103 point pace for the rest of the year, which is what they did last season.

The Oilers went 29-14-3 after the Christmas break last year. If they do it this year that's 97 points and they might snag third place in the division.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Oilers went 29-14-3 after the Christmas break last year. If they do it this year that's 97 points and they might snag third place in the division.

Yeah, we essentially need to duplicate that CRAZY run we had last year. I suppose it's possible, as we've been playing quite well lately, and are finally getting healthy again. But it certainly shouldn't be expected. The much more likely scenario is finishing with around 86-88 points (thereabouts anyhow) and being just outside the playoffs.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Last night's loss hurts but there will be losses. Wins against Chicago and on New Year's Even then this team is back on track.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They have 20 points in their past 16 games... continue at that pace for the rest of the year and they finish with 92 pts.

Is that enough to take a wildcard spot? Probably damn close as they have a lot of West games to come.

Interesting that Edmonton and Vegas have each only lost once to Pacific teams.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was optimistic as anyone after that decent stretch they played over a few weeks... they legit looked like they had turned the corner and were on pace to hit 90+ pts if they kept it up... but that was the catch, they had to keep it up and not stumble.

Now it looks like they'll need ~55 pts over their last 40 game which of course will be brutally tough to do. Only Tampa and Vegas have done that over their 1st 40 games... and the games only get tougher from here on out.

They have 23 pts in their last 21 games... which means they may add another 44 pts over their last 40... putting them at maybe 83 pts on the year... likely 10+ pts out of a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->