Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So it is pretty obvious, as it should have been in the off-season, that the idea of this team being a "contender" for the division or (lol) the cup is a joke. But just how far off the mark do we think this team will be?

Lots of you probably think that things will turn around and we somehow miraculously make the playoffs. I have the complete opposite thinking: I think we finish bottom ten in the league.

- Drai won't have the same season as last year, unless we pin him to mcdavid, which turns us into a one line team
- Talbot won't have another vezina type season, which we are already seeing
- We have ZERO secondary scoring, none, nada, zilch
- Defence is too young

Thoughts? What do expect now that we have gotten our first look at the team?

Last edited:
Reactions: OilCountry93

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Like I said, it only took 13 months, but that other shoe has finally dropped and so many of you are so excited to point it out.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I hate you....

But I feel the same as you. Last year my morning chit chat with co-workers was simple. They would ask did the oilers win. I would Say Yep but I don't like how their winning.

Last year was a fluke.

I expect us to be in the bottom 5 this year

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Both of these things are stupid, you don't fluke your way into 100 points playing as quality hockey as this team did last season.

Again, I get you trolls are enjoying free reign, but get over yourselves.
Yeah it's thrilling. I was flipping back and forth with a Flames fan last night and the games were night and day.

It's one thing to be losing, but the Oilers are actually getting worse game by game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Bottom 10? The fu...

I have been negative a bunch and think we are playing like trash and need some help but bottom 10? Hell naw. At worst I think we just miss playoffs. That's at worst. We are still a playoff team imo just shitting the bed right now and have depth problems. Not bottom 10.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Both of these things are stupid, you don't fluke your way into 100 points playing as quality hockey as this team did last season.

Again, I get you trolls are enjoying free reign, but get over yourselves.

No injuries of significance
Goaltender played out of his mind
3 players played out of their league (Marroon Letestu Kassian)

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Bottom 10? The fu...

I have been negative a bunch and think we are playing like trash and need some help but bottom 10? Hell naw. At worst I think we just miss playoffs. That's at worst. We are still a playoff team imo just ****ting the bed right now and have depth problems. Not bottom 10.

Barely made playoffs mostly because teams around us faced significant injuries

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The main boards would melt down if we got both McDavid and Dahlin, so there's that.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Special teams are MURDERING us. Last in PK % and just outside of bottom 5 in PP %. If we can even be mediocre on special teams we will see a marked improvement. With that being said, we have been out-goalied in nearly all of our games this year and our secondary scoring is non-existent. Our whole bottom 6 is an absolute joke right now. Same as our bottom 2-3 dmen

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
By 4 points... The team below us had no top line for the last month of regular season
Don't re-imagine history, that's just stupid. The Oilers clinched their playoff spot WELL before the end of the season. Just stop, I get you're really excited that "the other shoe has dropped" but don't re-imagine the past

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
No injuries of significance
Goaltender played out of his mind
3 players played out of their league (Marroon Letestu Kassian)

Yeah I don't understand how people think that last year WASN'T a fluke. We had essentially no injuries, and had NUMEROUS players have career years. If you expect Talbot to contend for the vezina, and have maroon score 25+, then great, I guess, but I certainly don't.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
So I guess we are back to a bottom 5 team with no end in sight, last year was just a random event that probably set us back 5+ years.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I don't understand how people think that last year WASN'T a fluke. We had essentially no injuries, and had NUMEROUS players have career years. If you expect Talbot to contend for the vezina, and have maroon score 25+, then great, I guess, but I certainly don't.
You are WAY too excited about these early struggles man.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
To be brutally honest though, a semi-surprising "down" year like the Ducks had in 2011-2012 could be a blessing in disguise. Consider who the Ducks were able to draft that summer (Lindholm).

This stuff does happen to other teams. Teams that are viewed as contenders suddenly and unexpectedly have a poor season, allowing them to essentially draft the missing piece to their puzzle.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yep, time to avoid this place for a while.

Kind of funny how some people only show up when the team is struggling and seem to revel in the negativity and the OP is perhaps the worst culprit. Kind of an unhealthy way to be a "fan" but just my opinion.

FTR, the team is a disaster right now and needs to get their shit together but it's still only 4 games into the season and threads like these are poison to the board. The rest of you feel free to wallow in your own misery, I'm not going to partake in it anymore. Anybody who wants to have a healthy discussion about the state of the team, I'll see you in another thread.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Don't re-imagine history, that's just stupid. The Oilers clinched their playoff spot WELL before the end of the season. Just stop, I get you're really excited that "the other shoe has dropped" but don't re-imagine the past

We were 5 losses out of not making the playoffs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What an absolutely ridiculous comment, lol
No man, it's SUPER on point, you get to call last season a fluke and you get to the "I told you so, team is garbage, blah blah blah" stuff. Again you're WAY TOO excited for these struggles, you might want to examine that.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
To be brutally honest though, a semi-surprising "down" year like the Ducks had in 2011-2012 could be a blessing in disguise. Consider who the Ducks were able to draft that summer (Lindholm).

This stuff does happen to other teams. Teams that are viewed as contenders suddenly and unexpectedly have a poor season, allowing them to essentially draft the missing piece to their puzzle.

Philly
Ducks
Avs

But I feel we swung too far one direction in the types of players we have and have lost most assets to make trades to better ourselves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->