Bottle Rockets

PuckThumper11

Nov 6, 2019
I've never heard of this until tonight. As I'm sure many of you know, this refers to when a goal breaks the goalie's water bottle. Is this a really old term? I mean, how can you break a plstic bottle? Haha. Anyone have any examples? I've never seen this. Thanks, hockey fans!

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think in the NHL there’s a strap to hold the water bottle down, but when I was playing minor hockey the sickest goals were when you roofed the puck and knocked the water bottle off haha.

I don’t think our shots were ever hard enough to make the bottle explode however.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I think in the NHL there’s a strap to hold the water bottle down, but when I was playing minor hockey the sickest goals were when you roofed the puck and knocked the water bottle off haha.

I don’t think our shots were ever hard enough to make the bottle explode however.
I remember well :laugh: we did the same thing. You could shot off the cap of the bottle or at least damage it, when the angle was correct.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
The old water bottle popper was more prevalent when the water bottle was kept on top of the net. The NHL moved them a handful of years back, presumably to help with the overhead angle for goal reviews.

I dont have the clip, but someone perfectly unscrewed a water bottle cap with a shot attempt during play this year.

Reactions: PuckThumper11

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Datsyuk had one against Ducks in the playoffs 2013, well it didn’t smash the bottle but broke it/or the cup holder.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
Never heard the term but if you hit the bottle just right its not that hard. Especially when the bottle is sitting on top of the net in a cold rink.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
The old water bottle popper was more prevalent when the water bottle was kept on top of the net. The NHL moved them a handful of years back, presumably to help with the overhead angle for goal reviews.

I dont have the clip, but someone perfectly unscrewed a water bottle cap with a shot attempt during play this year.
Hoffman had one that launched the cap straight up and over the glass, I don't remember which game it was, though.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Bottles don't really explode these days because they're not made of that super brittle variety of plastic. My beer league goalie had one of those, I shattered the shit out of it with a shot in warmups while he was out of the net. Someone went without water that game, and it wasn't the goalie.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I miss when the bottle would just sit up top of the net- goalies usually had it in the blocker corner, made for a nice target. Now it pretty much only happens on the one timer from that one angle, not as fun as when it was similar to a bar-down shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->