Proposal: Botterill in, Rutherford out.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Per the title.

GMJR made some great moves. Got us to a level where the players could compete and win - and they did. From that point on...well, we're here in large part due to his personnel decisions and their inability to play the style this coach demands. You could argue our roster isn't even built for any particular style right now - which after two straight embarrassing seasons you'd think we'd have some semblance of. Hell - with two of the best to ever lace them up entering the back 9 of their careers you'd think we'd have a semblance of competitiveness and drive. Since Botterill left for the Sabres, you could argue just about every move has been negligent in some way. It's time for Jim Rutherford to go. He clearly has no vision for success - and whatever vision he has is bordering on insanity. His focus is misplaced and his trust misguided. Everyone has warts - but his are beaming right now with no signs of slowing - while already paired with multiple seasons of failures. Enough is enough - the reins are overdue for turnover.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Sounds like an idea someone who didn't watch Jason Botterill's tenure in Buffalo would suggest.

Did. Also saw his tenure within the system of hire: he did great in Pittsburgh, mediocre in Buffalo (which as a franchise is a gong show to begin with).

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
p27mjcbnXPMX-TTH73vL6DdjIhjWzXRPYx2igyS7u4ysfS2KdmzKtbkqIqHHrpEIYHtL3dPK0Nldo-li5vqP2rMzbP0y_23Ad8LE6WaT_aTQgBjONTcBrYcQrQGO1NgYGr8XutFVNcxPn-PIaSrMNzGhXlEx9j2RiQ0

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Botts is a question mark...JR is not a question mark, and not in a good way...I prefer a question mark at this point lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Not sure Botts is the answer. Absolutely certain JR isn't.

The sooner we clean house and get new eyes on this organization's roster building, the better.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't want JR to be our GM anymore.
I also don't want Botterill to be our GM when JR is fired.

I honestly would rather take our chances with Karmanos.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Nooooope. Botts is great as an AGM, where he can play with his numbers and formulas, hes not good unsupervised. JR needs to be promoted to President of Hockey Ops. Lets bring in fresh blood for GM.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I want no part of a bloke that gave Skinner that god awful contract and also traded for Sheary and couldn't fix a god damned thing in Buffalo. He is not the heir we were looking for.

Karmanos seems like he could make a decent GM, but at this point, is still an unknown and knowing what we know now about Botterill, f*** that noise.

I mean, unless there's some amazing assistant gm out there that the Pens know about and want to bring in? I'd probably go with Karmanos.

Karmanos would appear to be the type of analytics-focused candidate which Arizona sought when the organization hired Chayka. Arizona is one of the leaders, for better or worse, in the NHL regarding the usage of advanced analytics.
However, it is interesting to note that Karmanos is the last assistant general manager with the Penguins, as the team has not replaced Guerin or Botterill in the previous several years. Why now is Karmanos interviewing?
It is unknown if he has interviewed for other jobs in the past, or even been interested. Why now and why Arizona?
From the Penguins perspective, the circle around Rutherford has shrunk in the past 12 months, and losing Karmanos would leave a hole in both the analytics and hockey circle. Former CMU grad student Sam Ventura has grown within the organization over the past five years and could be in line to assume a more significant role, too.
Report: Penguins AGM Karmanos Interviews with AZ; News & Analysis

I am curious as to why Karmanos did interview with Arizona, it's been stated, he didn't interview anywhere else before, but this year he did, there's a good chance even that dumb shit Rutherford is likely tuning out people that helped him win in favor of making panic moves with reckless abandon and Karmanos was intrigued with maybe not being a part of that sinking ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
After the 2nd Cup, would anyone have IMAGINED this is where the state of the team would be in a handful of seasons? lol...LOL

Went from decent management to just....what the f*** is going on from the GM and coaches? LIKE...serious

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I want no part of a bloke that gave Skinner that god awful contract and also traded for Sheary and couldn't fix a god damned thing in Buffalo. He is not the heir we were looking for.

Karmanos seems like he could make a decent GM, but at this point, is still an unknown and knowing what we know now about Botterill, f*** that noise.

I mean, unless there's some amazing assistant gm out there that the Pens know about and want to bring in? I'd probably go with Karmanos.

Report: Penguins AGM Karmanos Interviews with AZ; News & Analysis

I am curious as to why Karmanos did interview with Arizona, it's been stated, he didn't interview anywhere else before, but this year he did, there's a good chance even that dumb shit Rutherford is likely tuning out people that helped him win in favor of making panic moves with reckless abandon and Karmanos was intrigued with maybe not being a part of that sinking ship.

Fair - but if you look at Buffalo...they're not riddled with albatross contracts. They literally have one of the cleanest slates in the entire league going in to next season to build however they want in whatever style they want. Just another school of thought.

As for Skinner - I agreed from the start. HOWEVER, multiple - and I mean multiple, GM's were ready to hand that man a blank check. You can't pin that on Botterill entirely.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fair - but if you look at Buffalo...they're not riddled with albatross contracts. They literally have one of the cleanest slates in the entire league going in to next season to build however they want in whatever style they want. Just another school of thought.

As for Skinner - I agreed from the start. HOWEVER, multiple - and I mean multiple, GM's were ready to hand that man a blank check. You can't pin that on Botterill entirely.
He also didn't need go and give Skinner that contract. A bloke with no history of being that good was going to back fire and boy did it.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He also didn't need go and give Skinner that contract. A bloke with no history of being that good was going to back fire and boy did it.

I agree. Nobody knows where the blame truly is - as Buffalo was thirsty for a goal scorer and the pressure could have come from the top. I won't excuse it - I certainly thought it was stupid before it even happened. Would be like signing Rust to a 7x7 extension after his past season.

Either way - there are other choices than this old bloke who's lost his touch (mind?) and is making ego trades at this point. Botts would be on my short list...maybe not everyone else's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad