Rumor: Botchford - " Aqualini veto'd a Kesler trade to Pitt "

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Link?

And no it was not Benning deciding against moving down, it was Vegas who called off the trade.

It went like this...

Do you think you might be interested in switching picks?

Maybe, let me get back to you.

Okay.

We might be interested, this is the cost.

Okay.

Who are you going to draft?

Pettersson.

We're not going to switch.

Okay.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It went like this...

Do you think you might be interested in switching picks?

Maybe, let me get back to you.

Okay.

We might be interested, this is the cost.

Okay.

Who are you going to draft?

Pettersson.

We're not going to switch.

Okay.

I thought it was something more comical like Jim obviously pointing at Pettersson, and McPhee realizing he didn't need to make the trade because who he wanted was still going to be there.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I'll give it to you if you keep whining. But could you try to make your mom proud and Google it first?

I am not whining, you are the one making claims so you should rather prove it instead of just blindly throwing things out there hoping folks believe it without evidence. And to answer your question, nothing to be found which says Benning saw Pettersson before our swedish scout did.

What I did found however is this:

Ben Kuzma: Pettersson’s smarts, skill and will became perfect package for Canucks

Canucks general manager Jim Benning first saw Pettersson at the 2017 world junior championship. And even though he only had one assist in six games (Sweden placed fourth), Benning couldn’t take his eyes off him.

So you are telling me our swedish scouting didnt even watch on of the top european prospects who played in his country half a year before the draft?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Lol. Do you just say whatever fits your narrative without doing any research?

All you have to do is google - elias petterson draftranking

the very first article that comes up is - Should the Canucks draft Elias Pettersson?

"But there’s another player that has gone somewhat under the radar that might be the Canucks best option for finding a first-line centre: Elias Pettersson."

"This is reflected in Pettersson’s position in the various draft rankings. He ranges anywhere from 5th (HockeyProspect.com) to 27th (Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek)..."

"There are some rankings that are very high on Pettersson. Central Scouting Services ranks him as the second best European skater in the draft, behind the controversial Klim Kostin. For those who favour analytics in their drafting, Scouching ranks him third overall. So does prospects writer Zachary Devine."

"It’s not hard to see why he’s rated so highly. Pettersson tore up the Allsvenskan this past season, putting up just short of a point per game. His 41 points in 43 games for Timrå IK was good enough for 9th in league scoring. The only U-20 player who scored more was his teammate and new Canucks prospect Jonathan Dahlen, who is a year older. The next best teenager had just 24 points.

That type of production for a teenager against men is undeniably impressive. Not even William Nylander and Filip Forsberg produced at that rate in the Allsvenskan as teenagers."

Anyways, just ignore all of this on the first google search. Only Benning could have known that EP would be this good. Only Benning. No one else could be as genius as Benning is. Benning is simply the best. No one could be doing a better job than Benning is.
The first article clearly states that the vast majority of rankings had EP listed lower than 5th OA (I noticed you neglected to add that piece of info)

Thanks for adding a link for the draft rankings..check it out for yourselves folks..

...EP was considered the second best European player to Kostin?

If EP had been a miss..you and the other negative posters would have honed in on the draft ranking ‘consensus BPA’ argument against the management

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
The discussion is not whether Pettersson was the concensus BPA at the time of the draft (because there was none at 5), it was because about someone claiming he was a reach at 5 which he clearly wasnt.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The first article clearly states that the vast majority of rankings had EP listed lower than 5th OA (I noticed you neglected to add that piece of info)

Thanks for adding a link for the draft rankings..check it out for yourselves folks..

...EP was considered the second best European player to Kostin?

If EP had been a miss..you and the other negative posters would have honed in on the draft ranking ‘consensus BPA’ argument against the management
Again, you simply said:

Nobody expected EP to go at 5...

And I showed an article in which someone did have him ranked at 5th. Others had him ranked higher and a detailed explanation was given as to why. The entire point of the article was suggesting the canucks should take him at 5. It was hinting that because he was popular with the analytical crowd (vitamins right?) and the fact he may need more time to develop (based on his size because that was his biggest projected weakness) that Benning and co may not want him.

Why try to move the goal posts? It's really as simple as - you made a false statement. Someone did expect him to go at 5. Now you go on about "if EP had been a miss, you and the other negative posters"

Someone isn't saying something that puts Benning in a flattering light so you have to personally attack them. Lol such a joke.

Only Jim could have been smart enough to see EP's talent right? Jim is the only one in the world, he's the bestest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Again, you simply said:

Nobody expected EP to go at 5...

And I showed an article in which someone did have him ranked at 5th. Others had him ranked higher and a detailed explanation was given as to why. The entire point of the article was suggesting the canucks should take him at 5. It was hinting that because he was popular with the analytical crowd (vitamins right?) and the fact he may need more time to develop (based on his size because that was his biggest projected weakness) that Benning and co may not want him.

Why try to move the goal posts? It's really as simple as - you made a false statement. Someone did expect him to go at 5. Now you go on about "if EP had been a miss, you and the other negative posters"

Someone isn't saying something that puts Benning in a flattering light so you have to personally attack them. Lol such a joke.

Only Jim could have been smart enough to see EP's talent right? Jim is the only one in the world, he's the bestest.

Benning is brilliant. Is that how we are supposed to act to be “good old” Canuck’s fans? I feel your pain too. Pettersson is great, and so are Boeser and Hughes. That doesn’t excuse Virtanen and Juiolevi. Oh, and the 200 stupid trades, UFA signings, and terrible contracts.

Reactions: Pavel96

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Benning is brilliant. Is that how we are supposed to act to be “good old” Canuck’s fans? I feel your pain too. Pettersson is great, and so are Boeser and Hughes. That doesn’t excuse Virtanen and Juiolevi. Oh, and the 200 stupid trades, UFA signings, and terrible contracts.
Such a joke lol. Olli wasn't even the BPA from his junior team that year. Absolutely ridiculous lol.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Such a joke lol. Olli wasn't even the BPA from his junior team that year. Absolutely ridiculous lol.

And a monkey could tell by just talking to Virtanen the guy is dumb as a stump. Oh, but “he’s big, fast, and has a real good shot”. What the hell kind of scouting report is that?

Reactions: Pavel96

member 290103

Benning offered to trade the pick to Vegas. Vegas declined.

Benning was mic'd up. It's shown at

Never ceases to amaze me that the Benning Bros like to prop up his magnificent draft record when it's clear from this behind the scenes video that he has not a clue who anyone past the top pick is. He is openly asking Weisbrod what kind of player Gadjovich is.

I also find it interesting that Weisbrod seems to ignore Benning when he talks. It's like he is basically have a conversation with himself.

Reactions: Peter10

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Never ceases to amaze me that the Benning Bros like to prop up his magnificent draft record when it's clear from this behind the scenes video that he has not a clue who anyone past the top pick is. He is openly asking Weisbrod what kind of player Gadjovich is.

I also find it interesting that Weisbrod seems to ignore Benning when he talks. It's like he is basically have a conversation with himself.

It's funny how it sounds like Benning said 'Patterson" when he pointed out EP sitting in the stands to Brackett. It really doesn't seem like he is that involved with the drafting. I mean how could you be when you can't even pronounce the name of the guy you're taking right?

I find it very interesting that he tried to trade down from #5...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->