Proposal: Boston --- St. Louis

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I could see Shattenkirk + Lehtera + prospect for Krejci.

Blues give a prospect for Boston taking Lehtera. That gives St. Louis a #1 center till 20-21. Stastny is only signed for 2 more years. I kind of expect Stastny to resign for less then he makes now but who knows at that point.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
If the rumors from around draft time were true, Boston wasn't willing to take on a contract like Lehtera's even when they were only trading Loui Eriksson away. I have to imagine it would be the same case if they were trading Krejci.

Not to mention I'm not sure just a pick would get it done. Regardless of whether the extension was worked out beforehand or not, that's still not the same value as if Shatty was already signed to an extension. Boston would have almost all of the leverage in that scenario, and at current values 1 year of Shattenkirk doesn't get you near Krejci. Adding what would be more of a cap dump for Boston from STL's side, I think they'd be looking at a big add from STL.

I almost wonder if it would work better for both sides to open it up and do something like Krejci++ for Shatty+Schwartz, obviously evening out both sides accordingly.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
But you would also move out Shakts hit of $4.25M

According to cap friendly the space is $9.4M, so that plus 4.25 = $13.65M in space. $6M for Schwartz seems high no? I know the kid is a stud, but that seems excessive.

I guess looking closer you are right though if Schmaltz gets $6m than his deal plus Sabotka's $2.7M = $8.75M + 7.25M (krejci) = $16M > $13.65 in space

Filip Forsberg just signed for 6x$6. That was only buying like 1 UFA year. 6x$6 for Schwartz will be buying 4 UFA years. Taking out Schwartz past year mostly lost to a freak injury, their numbers are very comparable as is their non-offensive contributions. Forsberg is a slightly better goal scorer, but the # of UFA years will have a big effect on the contract. The Blues will already be very lucky to get 6x$6. If we want 7 or 8, it will be even more.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If the rumors from around draft time were true, Boston wasn't willing to take on a contract like Lehtera's even when they were only trading Loui Eriksson away. I have to imagine it would be the same case if they were trading Krejci.

Not to mention I'm not sure just a pick would get it done. Regardless of whether the extension was worked out beforehand or not, that's still not the same value as if Shatty was already signed to an extension. Boston would have almost all of the leverage in that scenario, and at current values 1 year of Shattenkirk doesn't get you near Krejci. Adding what would be more of a cap dump for Boston from STL's side, I think they'd be looking at a big add from STL.

I almost wonder if it would work better for both sides to open it up and do something like Krejci++ for Shatty+Schwartz, obviously evening out both sides accordingly

Nope. Schwartz isn't going anywhere. Shattenkirk extended does come close to Krejci that not much needs to be added. The difference between them isn't Schwartz. Unless Boston is adding a massive + that won't happen.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Shattenkirk should be expendable now that Parayko is ready to step up with Petro as the 1-2 Right Dee. That by the way is an amazing one/two. You cannot pay Shatt 5-6 plus as the 3rd pairing guy, so he has to be moved during the year or he will walk for free. As the year goes by his value will drop, its natural.

Krejci may be expendable for the Bruins, with Bergeron, Backes and Spooner. They have Heinen, Ryan Fitzgerald, Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Austin Czarnik in the system and Noel Acciari, Riley Nash as bottom centers with the main club. They do not need another center back. There is even talk of Kelly coming back.

Do not know how he will mesh with Tarasenko but someone needs to get him going in the playoffs. Maybe Spooner with his speed and passing/vision would mesh. Bruins would have to add to that of course. Shatt has to be ready to sign an extension first.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Nope. Schwartz isn't going anywhere. Shattenkirk extended does come close to Krejci that not much needs to be added. The difference between them isn't Schwartz. Unless Boston is adding a massive + that won't happen.

I'm not sure you actually read what I said.

Extended Shattenkirk does come close to Krejci, but he's not extended. And, given that he's still with the team, I don't get the impression that any team wants him bad enough after his playoffs that they'll pay the full extended price for him...the Blues offering to let teams negotiate is just a ploy to regain a little of the value lost by his essentially 1-year contract, but teams were smart and didn't go for it. That's just good negotiating.

And I definitely didn't say the difference between any value of Shattenkirk (1-yr or extended) and Krejci was Schwartz. The problem is the teams are a somewhat bad fit -- Krejci is more valuable than an unsigned Shattenkirk (by more than just a pick), but you guys aren't interested in someone closer in value like Spooner, and I don't think the B's are interested in giving STL the full extended value of Shattenkirk or taking on a cap dump as we don't have the cap or line-up space for one. So, as you'd have a bit of trouble fitting Schwartz with Krejci anyways, and him filling a positional need as well as being a good stylistic match for us, I suggested opening it up and yes, adding a big + to Krejci for the pair.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Shattenkirk should be expendable now that Parayko is ready to step up with Petro as the 1-2 Right Dee. That by the way is an amazing one/two. You cannot pay Shatt 5-6 plus as the 3rd pairing guy, so he has to be moved during the year or he will walk for free. As the year goes by his value will drop, its natural.

Krejci may be expendable for the Bruins, with Bergeron, Backes and Spooner. They have Heinen, Ryan Fitzgerald, Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Austin Czarnik in the system and Noel Acciari, Riley Nash as bottom centers with the main club. They do not need another center back. There is even talk of Kelly coming back.

Do not know how he will mesh with Tarasenko but someone needs to get him going in the playoffs. Maybe Spooner with his speed and passing/vision would mesh. Bruins would have to add to that of course. Shatt has to be ready to sign an extension first.
What are you talking about? He had one bad series.
His career playoffs he has 26 points and 19 goals in 33 games.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Yeah. I have serious concerns about DK.

Correct me if I am wrong Boston fans, but he just had both of his hips done. At 7.25 million, I am not sure we can take that risk.

To me this would be revisited in Dec. If DK has recovered, then yes I would make a move.

Shatty and Lehtera for Miller and DK. Salary works.

Fully recovered from surgeries and looking great. His issue is he gets bored mid way through the season. It can get frustrating when a team repeatedly loses 1 goal games and misses the playoffs by 2 points or less two years in a row. Playoff Krejci is fun to watch.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Don't see Bruins taking back Lehtera.

Then there likely is no deal to be made. Maybe something around Berglund as the addition. Shatty, Bergy for DK and Miller. T

here is no other way to make the deal work. Blues don't have the cap space and don't have the financial backing to buyout bad contracts. Really the Blues have to hope that Lehtera works hard in the offseason for the grind and earns his contract. $4.75 is reasonable for a 2nd line center. It isn't reasonable for the 3rd liner. If not, expose him to the expansion and hope Vegas bites.

Bottom line, Blues can't fit everyone in cap wise so you have to make a tough choice and maybe Shatty gets traded next off season for mid round picks. Sure sounds like they are planning on keeping him at this point and making another run at the cup. It will be very interesting to see if they try to transition one of the RHD to LHD. If they can do that, then maybe keep all three and expose Jaybo to expansion. I am pretty sure he would be the best dman available and would be selected.

Finally, does anyone think Boston low balling Armstrong in trade for Shatty at the draft, rumor offer was Spooner and the 28th, was done so they could go after Backes and prevent the Blues from being able to offer him a larger contract? Keeping Shatty on the books.... Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Then there likely is no deal to be made. Can't fit everyone in cap wise so you have to make a tough choice and maybe Shatty gets traded next off season for mid round picks. Sure sounds like they are planning on keeping him at this point.

Finally, does anyone think Boston low balling Armstrong in trade for Shatty at the draft, rumor offer was spooner and the 28th, was done so they could go after Backes and prevent the Blues from being able to offer him a larger contract? Keeping Shatty on the books.... Just a thought.

I think they were aware of the possibility of Backes, of course, and it was a nice contingency.

They also probably knew that no one else was meeting STLs demands either. Because no one did. And I don't know if its "low balling" if no one agrees with what Armstrong was asking for. You can point to other returns all you want, but STL fans first were in denial that Shattenkirk was hamstringing Armstrong with a limited list and then they were in denial about just how hamstrung Armstrong was.

In reality, Armstrong should have taken the trade deadline offer from Boston.

edit: and yes, I agree that STL is likely going to be letting Shattenkirk walk for nothing next summer, because there are no deals to be made. Despite what Detroit fans say, Detroit is aware that without getting Stamkos, they are not in the position to be giving up futures, and no one else has the cap space. And if STL doesn't want a reasonable return on futures, there is nothing coming from Boston, either.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Then there likely is no deal to be made. Maybe something around Berglund as the addition. Shatty, Bergy for DK and Miller. T

here is no other way to make the deal work. Blues don't have the cap space and don't have the financial backing to buyout bad contracts. Really the Blues have to hope that Lehtera works hard in the offseason for the grind and earns his contract. $4.75 is reasonable for a 2nd line center. It isn't reasonable for the 3rd liner. If not, expose him to the expansion and hope Vegas bites.

Bottom line, Blues can't fit everyone in cap wise so you have to make a tough choice and maybe Shatty gets traded next off season for mid round picks. Sure sounds like they are planning on keeping him at this point and making another run at the cup. It will be very interesting to see if they try to transition one of the RHD to LHD. If they can do that, then maybe keep all three and expose Jaybo to expansion. I am pretty sure he would be the best dman available and would be selected.

Finally, does anyone think Boston low balling Armstrong in trade for Shatty at the draft, rumor offer was Spooner and the 28th, was done so they could go after Backes and prevent the Blues from being able to offer him a larger contract? Keeping Shatty on the books.... Just a thought.

Blues didn't want to commit that money for that amount of time to Backes. The man already looks like he's declining. I don't know how many times the camera is on him and the "nobody is home" look is on his face.

Anyways Armstrong is going to wait out the market in my opinion. No need to make a desperate deal just to make one. Blues are well under the cap, and get don't HAVE to move Shattenkirk. Even if every party involved wants to see a deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad