Victoria
To Boston:
- Kevin Shattenkirk
- Ty Rattie

To St. Louis
- David Krejci
- Joe Morrow

spit balling - not expecting an awesome reaction but go ahead

edit: this is of course with a contract in place with shattenkirk which i'm assuming could be around 6 - 6.5 (sadly)

Last edited:

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Boston yes. St. Louis should say yes I'm my opinion but don't know if they actually would bc of how high they are on shatty

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
We can't take on Krejci contract and I don't think his style of play suits Tarasenko. No doubt a top line player, but from what I've seen, he doesn't look he'll suit Tarasenko.
From a value standpoint it's there, but cap wise we can't take it and Krejci isn't really a fit IMO.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We can't take on Krejci contract and I don't think his style of play suits Tarasenko. No doubt a top line player, but from what I've seen, he doesn't look he'll suit Tarasenko.
From a value standpoint it's there, but cap wise we can't take it and Krejci isn't really a fit IMO.

How so? You just lost Backes, Elliot and would be trading shatty here, so I think he could fit in salary cap

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

How will St. Louis not be able to fit in Krejci?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Blues still have to sign Jaden Schwartz.

So, if we trade for Krejci, we will need to clear some salary and attach a guy like Lehtera to the trade instead of Rattie.

Other than that I'd be fine with it.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

He fits technically but his cap hit $7.25M. That's a big number with extensions to Allen to pay and Parayko to sign. If Parayko lights it up again then he could cost a pretty penny. Also this trade leaves a hole on defense they would have to fill and with less cash to do it than before.

It is a good trade but it may not entice St. Louis as much as it should.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
How so? You just lost Backes, Elliot and would be trading shatty here, so I think he could fit in salary cap

We currently have roughly 9M in cap space. Schwartz will cost at least 6M (at least what it looks like) and then we have roughly 3M. Sobotka coming back covers it, with his 2.7M cap hit. So, no, we can't fit Krejci.

His play style is reminiscent of Stastny. Two way playmaking center, that creates offense off of a cycle and move the puck. He then has the vision to find the open body in front. It's why him and Stastny tend to mesh well with players who drive the net. Stastny was awful with Tarasenko, and if Krejci doesn't mesh with Tarasenko, as I fear, then he really has no spot on the team. With him also having hip surgery again and being 30 I don't seem him as the fit. I may be blowing the play style thing out of proportion however.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
The Blues still have to sign Jaden Schwartz.

So, if we trade for Krejci, we will need to clear some salary and attach a guy like Lehtera to the trade instead of Rattie.

Other than that I'd be fine with it.

That could work, likely you would be adding a pick to even it out. (Maybe a 2018 2nd if Shattenkirk re-signs, 3rd if not). Assuming Boston is ok with the increase in cap space.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
Blues fans want a #1 C so badly, and in this very rare cricumstance that one could be available, they speculate that he won't mesh well enough to pull the trigger. Krejci is excellent and I'd be very happy to base a trade around him and Shattenkirk.

The cap is troubling, and we'd almost certainly need a bit of salary retained or send Lehtera back the other way. That said, projecting the cap situation much further than this year seems overly speculative with the expansion draft on the horizon.

Maybe something like shattenkirk, Lehtera, and a small plus to balance the dump in salary for krejci and an AHL prospect.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We currently have roughly 9M in cap space. Schwartz will cost at least 6M (at least what it looks like) and then we have roughly 3M. Sobotka coming back covers it, with his 2.7M cap hit. So, no, we can't fit Krejci.

His play style is reminiscent of Stastny. Two way playmaking center, that creates offense off of a cycle and move the puck. He then has the vision to find the open body in front. It's why him and Stastny tend to mesh well with players who drive the net. Stastny was awful with Tarasenko, and if Krejci doesn't mesh with Tarasenko, as I fear, then he really has no spot on the team. With him also having hip surgery again and being 30 I don't seem him as the fit. I may be blowing the play style thing out of proportion however.

But you would also move out Shakts hit of $4.25M

According to cap friendly the space is $9.4M, so that plus 4.25 = $13.65M in space. $6M for Schwartz seems high no? I know the kid is a stud, but that seems excessive.

I guess looking closer you are right though if Schmaltz gets $6m than his deal plus Sabotka's $2.7M = $8.75M + 7.25M (krejci) = $16M > $13.65 in space

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
But you would also move out Shakts hit of $4.25M

According to cap friendly the space is $9.4M, so that plus 4.25 = $13.65M in space. $6M for Schwartz seems high no? I know the kid is a stud, but that seems excessive.

I guess looking closer you are right though if Schmaltz gets $6m than his deal plus Sabotka's $2.7M = $8.75M + 7.25M (krejci) = $16M > $13.65 in space

Trading Shattenkirk for Krejci, we lose 3M in space. Which drops us down to 6.4M. Signing Schwartz becomes really tight then. Bringing back Sobotka would be off the list. Boston almost has to retain or take Lehtera.

Schwartz is absolutely worth 6M, guy is a stud LW.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Just no interest in Shattenkirk at any significant price without an extension. Boston shouldn't be in the rental business at this stage IMO.

Extended I'd give up a lot for Shatty.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
If Boston takes Lehtera, its a deal

Yeah. I have serious concerns about DK.

Correct me if I am wrong Boston fans, but he just had both of his hips done. At 7.25 million, I am not sure we can take that risk.

To me this would be revisited in Dec. If DK has recovered, then yes I would make a move.

Shatty and Lehtera for Miller and DK. Salary works.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues fans want a #1 C so badly, and in this very rare cricumstance that one could be available, they speculate that he won't mesh well enough to pull the trigger. Krejci is excellent and I'd be very happy to base a trade around him and Shattenkirk.

The cap is troubling, and we'd almost certainly need a bit of salary retained or send Lehtera back the other way. That said, projecting the cap situation much further than this year seems overly speculative with the expansion draft on the horizon.

Maybe something like shattenkirk, Lehtera, and a small plus to balance the dump in salary for krejci and an AHL prospect.
I agree.

They're looking for a perfect fit and being picky once again, and they're gonna keep missing out on the best available names.

It really makes no sense to me. I'm not saying Krejci is the end all be all, but he's a good player and makes the Blues better. A lot of people didn't want to take a chance on Seguin, a ton of people hated the idea of RNH at first, a lot were unsure about Johansen, Stepan doesn't excite a lot of them, Krejci "isn't a fit" now...

I'm not saying there's a slam dunk answer but man, the Blues just need a better center than Jori ****ing Lehtera soon, and a better option looks unlikely to come around than some of these guys in the near future. The Blues should take one of these guys.

Krejci and Stastny would be a good 1-2 punch. If neither of them can play with Tarasenko (which I don't buy), then maybe there's something wrong and the Blues need to have a talk with some of them and make it work. A formidable line should be able to be created with guys of this level.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014

Correct me if I am wrong Boston fans, but he just had both of his hips done. At 7.25 million, I am not sure we can take that risk.

To me this would be revisited in Dec. If DK has recovered, then yes I would make a move.

Miller is a great young defenseman that any team would want--but the Blues don't need another RHD. At all. And frankly, while DK is a fine player also, and I'm in no way disparaging him, I think a signed Shattenkirk can fetch a better return. I don't see him as that much of an improvement over Lehtera.

Now, if you wanted to sweeten the pot with a high end center prospect, like Khokhlachev or Heinen, then the Blues would have something to consider--but I don't see Boston willing to give up that much.

I'm still hoping something can be worked out with NYR. Shattenkirk would help the Rangers tremendously, and it's a city he wants to play for. And on the other side, Chris Kreider would look great as a Blue, and Adam Tambellini would really improve the Blues' prospect depth at center.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Miller is a great young defenseman that any team would want--but the Blues don't need another RHD. At all. And frankly, while DK is a fine player also, and I'm in no way disparaging him, I think a signed Shattenkirk can fetch a better return. I don't see him as that much of an improvement over Lehtera.

Now, if you wanted to sweeten the pot with a high end center prospect, like Khokhlachev or Heinen, then the Blues would have something to consider--but I don't see Boston willing to give up that much.

I'm still hoping something can be worked out with NYR. Shattenkirk would help the Rangers tremendously, and it's a city he wants to play for. And on the other side, Chris Kreider would look great as a Blue, and Adam Tambellini would really improve the Blues' prospect depth at center.
Do you know who David Krejci is?
He is a hell of a lot better than any center we've had in a while. If his surgery goes well, and the cap can work I'd probably pull the trigger. I know I said earlier I wouldn't, but I think I'm looking way too much into what happened with Stastny and not at Krejci.

Last edited:

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener

Krejci is just having 1 hip done the other was done 6 years ago.

Jamie Benn had both hips done how good of year did he have?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Next summer Boston can sign Shattery on UFA market, no reason to blow away assets.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis

Didn't you JUST propose shattenkirk + for Kreider? Are you trolling?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->