Post-Game Talk: Boston Rodents squeak out OT win 2-1

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I would take 3 out of 5 year of hard nosed best effort from Radulov over this soft lazy plays of drouin any time. People think radulov won't be able to keep up. Sure that might be the case by the end of his contract, but at least he gives a damn right now. We aren't seeing it from the boy who sucked his thumb till he could come home to daddy.

Radulov plays a strength and vision game he's a horse and will play that same style for years to come if he wants it.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
At his best Markov played 25 mins against the other teams top players. He was not a clear 1D but a solid top 4 and a BEAST on the PP. he generated offence. He had terrific vision and was an excellent puck mover. He was steady defensively. I think his numbers are hurt by the fact that He was stuck with some really crappy partners (Komi) and on some pretty mediocre teams. He was quiet but Every other player asked said he was respected. There is such a thing as a quiet leader. Robinson was like that. In fact, I think he might be just behind Robinson in games played. And loyalty and longevity to the CH goes a long way in my books.

Wth? I strongly disagree. Markov was a clearcut #1 in his prime years. You'd have a hard time finding 30 better defensemen in each of his prime years. Getting his points on the PP shouldn't be a knock, especially considering he never had the opportunity to play with legends like Yzerman, Fedorov, Dats and Zetts. Markov's most notable forwards in his prime years were Koivu, Kovalev and Plekanec. Markov tilted the ice. Before his major injuries, he had a few short stints where he got injured, the team went from above ,600 to barely ,400. Our Gf/Ga went an entire +1 per game with him in the lineup. Almost half a goal more scored per game and half a goal less allowed. He had a tremendous impact and was the MVP of a very weak team. He made players around him better. Starting with his D partners; Subban, Streit, Souray and Komisarek. They all had their best career season alongside Markov.

When Markov came back before the second half of 09-10, Scott Gomez had it rough in his early days as a Habs, tallying only 17 points in his first 32 games. Markov came back on dec 19th. Out of the last 46 games Gomez played that season, he played 45 of those with Markov and tallied 42 points. The return of Markov turned Gomez back to a PPG player.

Find me 30 dmen who could do that in those years. You won't find 30 of them.

Most of the dmen who were considered the best in those years had much much better support.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He has the talent to be much better and has simply played the entire year with no ****s given.:laugh: Radulov is a player and if he was from Meadow Lake Saskatchewan and his last name was Reid he would be a character guy with talent, I hate seeing him in a Dallas jersey, such a stupid move and I agree, even if his skills diminished he would still be a valuable player. I hate this trade, it set the team back. Give me Rads the general and a young Sergachev for Markov to mentor and this is a better team.

Bergevin betrayed the entire Habs fandom by not signing Radulov. He betrayed the colors, the jersey, the emblem of this team. It was a dagger in the franchise's heart that has damaged the team and only a scorched earth tactic will help them now. It was like all year long both the fans and the team were acting on a deep depression after being dumped by the perfect woman. It has happened too often with the Habs: with Roy, Saku, Kovalev, Subban and now Markov/Radu.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Bergevin betrayed the entire Habs fandom by not signing Radulov. He betrayed the colors, the jersey, the emblem of this team. It was a dagger in the franchise's heart that has damaged the team and only a scorched earth tactic will help them now. It was like all year long both the fans and the team were acting on a deep depression after being dumped by the perfect woman. It has happened too often with the Habs: with Roy, Saku, Kovalev, Subban and now Markov/Radu.

One of these things is not like the others ! one of these things just doesnt belong !

Radulov now, good. Radulov at the end of that contract ??? Not so good. he's not ponce de leon. how a guy who played here one year has such a large number of supporters completely escapes me. losing a mercenary who was almost certainly going to test te fa market is a dagger to the heart ?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Radulov plays a strength and vision game he's a horse and will play that same style for years to come if he wants it.
So no way he breaks down with age, by some miracle he'll just keep being able to play that way for years and years?

I like the player, I really do, I'm just in the belief that by year 4 of that contract he'll have slowed down considerably.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
One of these things is not like the others ! one of these things just doesnt belong !

Radulov now, good. Radulov at the end of that contract ??? Not so good. he's not ponce de leon. how a guy who played here one year has such a large number of supporters completely escapes me. losing a mercenary who was almost certainly going to test te fa market is a dagger to the heart ?
It's because Bergevin didn't sign him so they're all pissed.......it's like Payeryn, and Barberio, and Andrighetto, and Sekac, and Tinordi.......total exaggeration, gotta hate him full tilt for not keeping everyone, yet they'll bitch the second he makes no trades.....it's quite comical frankly lol

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

If it escapes you then you don't get it so it's pointless to explain.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If it escapes you then you don't get it so it's pointless to explain.
Yeah guys who play one season and the bolt aare due all of the loyalty in the world.

Stop pining for guys who came in and kept one foot out the door. It comes across as desperate.

FCS people moan more about radulov leaving than kovalev. And if signing depreciating assets to long term deals is de rigeur let's just paain ourselves into a corner and deal with the looming disaster some other day.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's because Bergevin didn't sign him so they're all pissed.......it's like Payeryn, and Barberio, and Andrighetto, and Sekac, and Tinordi.......total exaggeration, gotta hate him full tilt for not keeping everyone, yet they'll ***** the second he makes no trades.....it's quite comical frankly lol

What do you mean by "they"?

Reactions: ECWHSWI and PaulD

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Wth? I strongly disagree. Markov was a clearcut #1 in his prime years. You'd have a hard time finding 30 better defensemen in each of his prime years. Getting his points on the PP shouldn't be a knock, especially considering he never had the opportunity to play with legends like Yzerman, Fedorov, Dats and Zetts. Markov's most notable forwards in his prime years were Koivu, Kovalev and Plekanec. Markov tilted the ice. Before his major injuries, he had a few short stints where he got injured, the team went from above ,600 to barely ,400. Our Gf/Ga went an entire +1 per game with him in the lineup. Almost half a goal more scored per game and half a goal less allowed. He had a tremendous impact and was the MVP of a very weak team. He made players around him better. Starting with his D partners; Subban, Streit, Souray and Komisarek. They all had their best career season alongside Markov.

When Markov came back before the second half of 09-10, Scott Gomez had it rough in his early days as a Habs, tallying only 17 points in his first 32 games. Markov came back on dec 19th. Out of the last 46 games Gomez played that season, he played 45 of those with Markov and tallied 42 points. The return of Markov turned Gomez back to a PPG player.

Most of the dmen who were considered the best in those years had much much better support.
I love Markov too and I don’t argue with this. To me a clear 1D is not just a guy who plays the 1d position. In my mind, a clear 1D is a star and there aren’t 30 in the league at any one time. Just a handful. Markov was brilliant but not a star like Karlsson for example. That’s what I meant.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
It’s easy for us to pile on Drouin, but look how he’s changed his game this year – he’s getting marginally less ice time per game with the Habs, but he’s hitting more, has a lot more takeaways (top 30 for forwards) and he’ll double his blocked shots this year form last. He also took about 200 face-offs last year, he’ll take over a thousand. He’s trying to be more of a playmaker; he’s not shooting nearly as often as he did with TB and won’t come close to reaching last year’s totals… I don’t think that’s a good thing he’s got a great shot. All I’m saying is that, just saying – he’s not trying, he’s not a effort guy, it’s not what I see. I see I guy who has come in and had to change his game and he is, it’s a work in progress.

Reactions: voyageur

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There's no explanation for any of them. Pacioretty is one of the league's top 30+ goal-scorers for the past few years who is currently on pace for half that. Neither he nor Price is injured, so that leaves state of mind. I have no idea what their state of mind is, but whatever's wrong with them and most of our top players extends beyond hockey skill.
Patches misses those tape to tape stretch passes from Markov and Subban. (and who wouldnt)
He dined off those for 5 years.

Does not explain everything about his lousy uninspired play. But 35 goals is just out of the question. What with the the talent that has been removed from the back end. Weber, Markov, Subban

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
So no way he breaks down with age, by some miracle he'll just keep being able to play that way for years and years?

I like the player, I really do, I'm just in the belief that by year 4 of that contract he'll have slowed down considerably.

Who cares about year 4?

I ask that because Weber and Alzner are already less than what they used to be and that's fine for Bergevin. Shaw by year 4 will probably be a buyout candidate but that's okay. But Radulov? Oh no, we gotta worry about what he will be in 2021!

Can't wait to see Alzner in year 4 of his contract compared to Radulov.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

:thumbu: Bang on
Markov was number one D without question.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah guys who play one season and the bolt aare due all of the loyalty in the world.

Stop pining for guys who came in and kept one foot out the door. It comes across as desperate.

FCS people moan more about radulov leaving than kovalev. And if signing depreciating assets to long term deals is de rigeur let's just paain ourselves into a corner and deal with the looming disaster some other day.
Aw. Poor Bergie. Managing is hard. Fans should just keep giving him credit for Carey Prices play. lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I see Radulov slowing down a bit as well. In open space and on the PP, he will still be very dangerous though. I think being sheltered in Dallas behind Benn and Seguin helps though. The season he had with the Habs last year vs the one he is having in Dallas are completely different. I don't blame him for leaving.... Patch wanted him to do all the work so he could score in open space. Patch said it himself... I just passed the puck to Radulov.

The key to Radulov playing at his current level heading to his mid 30's is fitness. Skill will always be there.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I would agree except for the fact that his game is very similar to that of one Jaromir Jagr who continued to perform well beyond the timeline of Radulov's current deal.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It’s easy for us to pile on Drouin, but look how he’s changed his game this year – he’s getting marginally less ice time per game with the Habs, but he’s hitting more, has a lot more takeaways (top 30 for forwards) and he’ll double his blocked shots this year form last. He also took about 200 face-offs last year, he’ll take over a thousand. He’s trying to be more of a playmaker; he’s not shooting nearly as often as he did with TB and won’t come close to reaching last year’s totals… I don’t think that’s a good thing he’s got a great shot. All I’m saying is that, just saying – he’s not trying, he’s not a effort guy, it’s not what I see. I see I guy who has come in and had to change his game and he is, it’s a work in progress.

I agree. I think Drouin has improved from the start of the season. Oddly enough his defensive game is getting better. I say oddly because saying he's defensively better after a game he was owned in OT by Marchand is strange.

However 3 on 3 is a different animal altogether.

These are the things I see him doing now that he wasn't doing before:

* Going behind our net to support the D downlow when the puck is in the corners (CJ likes a zone D over man to man). He gives them a safe outlet.

* Fronting players to protect the puck along the boards (by doing this he can & actually does win board battles)

* Staying on the defensive side of the puck in our zone; he isn't blowing the zone early like he was doing earlier in the season that was costing us goals & games.

* Hustling back to help the D on rushes coming into our zone with a better understanding of where to go & who to take. He isn't always successful but he's getting there. He wasn't at the beginning of the season.

I think the effort criticism is partly because he's such a greater skater. I mean it really is effortless for him to go up & down the ice. One of the best pure skaters around. It can look like he's not trying when he is.

Things he needs to work on:

* Strength training needs to be a big thing for him this off-season, legs & back/shoulder. You don't want him to lose any speed but he can build strength without losing speed. He gets bowled over sometimes & it'll help produce better balance for him & giving him a stronger center.

* He needs to figure out how to properly use his stick in situations. He over handles it in offensive situations & under utilizes it in defensive ones. This is coachable & I believe CJ is helping him on this one, but a long way to go.

* Puck management. Another area where I've seen improvement but still not where it needs to be, especially for a center. It's so important.

*Obviously face-offs.

I would prefer to have Drouin on the wing, but he is improving his overall game at center. While I was severely critical of him earlier in the season when he was doing shit like blowing the zone, not coming back to help but staying near the blueline, not hustling back as 3rd man, much of this he has improved upon. I don't find him nearly as frustrating as DD was.

What also helps is Drouin himself has said in interviews he realizes now how much he needs to work on strength training in the off-season.

The reality is he was protected in TB & he's not in Montreal. His interviews show a young man whose starting to understand how much more work needs to be done to make him a better NHL player.

Hopefully he follows through on that this summer.

Reactions: Electricity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad