Boston NYR is the epitome of the nhl now.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
I thought Peel was loathed by Bruins fans? I for one hate the guy as a lifelong B’s fan..

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014

One of the most entertaining third periods ever, in a game that was not close.

Gotta' love when someone assigns homework in an internet discussion. "Here - watch this 3 hour clip as I think it makes my point!"

And it was a pretty bad argument. We saw a superstar get elbowed in the head and a top defenceman get pummeled on the ice by a goon. Yeah, let's let that keep happening so we can have more Brent Severyns and Warren Rychel's on the marquee. I sure know I'd pay hundreds of dollars to see that calibre of player.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This thread is hilarious.

OP laments old school goon fest when game gets to blowout.

You can agree/disagree. OP was pretty chill, just an opinion.

Many say gooning it up is stupid, archaic, and foolish given what we know about brain injuries.

You can agree/disagree with that view as well. All good.

What’s hilarious is that reading this thread it seems that a lot of people come off as angry and aggressive. You know, the kind of person who would get frustrated and start gooning it up when things go bad.:laugh:

A few “I’m a pacifist who cares about brains, so shut up you stupid f***ing asshole” types in here.:laugh:

Reactions: cliffclaven

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Gotta' love when someone assigns homework in an internet discussion. "Here - watch this 3 hour clip as I think it makes my point!"

And it was a pretty bad argument. We saw a superstar get elbowed in the head and a top defenceman get pummeled on the ice by a goon. Yeah, let's let that keep happening so we can have more Brent Severyns and Warren Rychel's on the marquee. I sure know I'd pay hundreds of dollars to see that calibre of player.
Brent Severyn was one of my absolute favourite players. The guy is a f***ing legend. A great technical fighter. Physique like granite. And he could play the d-position pretty damn well. And he is well-written:

Brent Severyn: My life as an NHL enforcer

He is a quality guy, a decent human being and the fact he hurt Darryl Sydor did not go past him. But no regrets as to how the game was played. And we all loved it as fans.

Compare Brent Severyn to your modern day 4th line winger, and ...there is no comparison, pun intended. Guys that play today are not interesting. Nobody bleeds for their team. They just collect their millions and f*** lingerie models. Getting paid 20 times the guys back in the day did, and not doing 10% of the job those guys used to do. Blue collar hockey is dead.

Reactions: The Assclown

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Brent Severyn was one of my absolute favourite players. The guy is a f***ing legend. A great technical fighter. Physique like granite. And he could play the d-position pretty damn well. And he is well-written:

Brent Severyn: My life as an NHL enforcer

He is a quality guy, a decent human being and the fact he hurt Darryl Sydor did not go past him. But no regrets as to how the game was played. And we all loved it as fans.

Compare Brent Severyn to your modern day 4th line winger, and ...there is no comparison, pun intended. Guys that play today are not interesting. Nobody bleeds for their team. They just collect their millions and f*** lingerie models. Getting paid 20 times the guys back in the day did, and not doing 10% of the job those guys used to do. Blue collar hockey is dead.
Cool story. I'll keep watching McDavid, and you can pluck your season tix to the BSHL. I'm sure Sevs will light it up in his eponymous league.

Edit: Just read that article, and I guess Severyn had to lie to make himself feel better about the whole thing. Severyn wasn't looking for an enforcer, as the Stars didn't have an enforcer on the ice. Severyn was the 3rd man in pounding on a player that was already engaged with another Ducks player. Sydor came over just to tie Brent up, because 2 against 1 fighting is a chump move in hockey. Sevs makes it sound like he and Sydor were squared up when he through that punch, but Sydor was lying face down on the ice when he took that shot - possibly having already hit his head on the ice.

You can call him a great guy and a great writer - he's certainly rationalized his actions, and can definitely spin a yarn of fiction - but you posted a video of the "good old days" that showed a cheap goon beating on a top player while throwing "the code" out the window, if there is such a thing (there isn't.)

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well you will love todays result

Lemiuex got a nice knuckle sandwhich as a parting gift

What a clown

That fight was very even. I don’t know what you were watching. We could’ve said Lemieux won if we wanted to misrepresent the fight. And Ritchie knew it was coming. If you are a fighter that goes to the net and you fall on the back of a goalie’s neck in a net front scramble, the opposing team is likely going to make you answer for it. Ritchie understood the situation. You evidently didn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad