Boston NYR is the epitome of the nhl now.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I think a "Boomer" is something somebody says when they know they would lose the argument if they attempted to use logic and rational fact to make their point. Often used by low functioning people with limited vocabularies.

Hope this helps.
It’s short for “baby boomer”, a reference to a current older generation.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Would have made the end game worth watching, for one.

Sports is an entertainment business.
Wrestling was most likely on another channel. They dont need to rely on fighting to drive entertainment or ratings in any other sport without much of a problem. So why does the NHL in your mind?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Covid/Shinny hockey. No fans. No one paying $$ to watch , so nobody complaining or talking of cancelling season tickets. Teams / players take nights off. The North division has been play shinny pretty well from the start. Forty seven year old Spezza gets a hat rick, going end to end untouched. Games postponed every night. No real practicing.
If it wasnt for the pandemic keeping me home most evenings and freezing temps I would not even be watching the PSL. Pro Shinny League.

At what point will you hate it so much that you will stop posting on a message board designed specifically to discuss the sport that apparently disgusts you?

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
You are quite misguided here. In fact, Marchand tried to fight Fox who somehow chose to turtle in the 1st. Cringeworthy.

LMAO. Do you know anything about Fox? He's not a fighter, very much like most any other star player of his size. Marchand tried to goad him into a fight and should have gotten a penalty for it. You can't just jump someone and start a fight with them. That's not how this has worked even in the old NHL. You knew which players were down to fight and you go to them give each other a nod and throw down the gloves.

Marchand was just being an idiot on that play. Fox turtling, give me a break. Lmao

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
The op has a good point. In this game, the NYR got their 5 goal lead in the second period. There was still another 20 mins of game left. It’s unlikely that the Bruins would have been able to climb back into the game. But it has happened before. However, both teams just gave into the expected result and went through the motions to get through the third. This is no fault of the NYR; they rightfully accepted complacency to coast to a win. But the Bruins gave up too early. They just stopped trying.

Actually it was 4-1 going into the third. Rangers got two more in the third, and each of those goals were gritty drive to the net goals. They weren't going through the motions. They were still taking it to the Bruins at that point. It was the Bruins who just gave in.

This whole thread is silly. From the rangers point of view this was their most physical game yet, and the Bruins were just as chippy through the first two periods. The fact that they gave in is a coaching/team problem, not an NHL problem.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree, gooning it up wouldn’t have done a thing and that era of hockey is over for good.

My issue as a Bruins fan is we’ve been embarrassed two nights in a row. Take away our rout of Philly in Lake Tahoe we are in a putrid 4 of 5 skid. Too short a season for that not to be a problem,

Add to that NY ran Pasta in the first (as would I, by the way). Lindgren alone tagged him hard twice.

Bruins should have “run around” a bit in the third, finishing checks hard. If that leads to fight, so be it. But they didn’t and were very tame. Just playing out the game. Not good.

Next game better be very high energy and high intensity.

Shed load of injuries to an already young D, yes. But going to need effort and intensity to change tide.

And the Flyers were missing

Giroux
Voracek
Konecny
Lindblom
Laughton
Braun

For that game too. Not to mention their top 6 forward call-ups from the AHL were all injured (Frost, Ratcliffe, Sandin, Laczynski, Foerster, Allison) at the time.

Not much of an accomplishment lol.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Actually it was 4-1 going into the third. Rangers got two more in the third, and each of those goals were gritty drive to the net goals. They weren't going through the motions. They were still taking it to the Bruins at that point. It was the Bruins who just gave in.

This whole thread is silly. From the rangers point of view this was their most physical game yet, and the Bruins were just as chippy through the first two periods. The fact that they gave in is a coaching/team problem, not an NHL problem.
I agree. I didn’t state the score correctly. But, yes, Boston gave up. That’s the OP’s gripe, I think. Teams accept defeat too soon.

Reactions: cliffclaven

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The op is totally correct.

Stoopid millenials and generation x,y and Z walking on my lawn

goooal

May 3, 2009
Buffalo
First time here in awhile...its good to see hf is still getting young members. Those are the only people who could believe the 'product' is good today, nothing to compare it too.

Seriously though, I'll take any era over this one. Any meta over this one. If you enjoy it then more power to you, but its not the sport I grew up watching, and Im 29. The league has been mostly going downhill during Bettman's tenure though, its been a grind downhill. The shootout, 3 on 3 ot, cant take helmet off. I guess Im just a 29 year old boomer - maybe its because I ghosted the history of hockey forum so many years. I liked the game they used to play. Not sure what it is now. Soccer on ice? I guess. I like soccer, but I *liked* hockey. Shit sucks.

Reactions: cliffclaven

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Why would Fox fight there? Nothing happened. When you are the best player on your team, you shouldn’t partake in made up conflicts that have you sitting in the box for a long time.

Marchand isn't exactly a challenge in a fight and hurts the Bruins off the ice quite a bit. Why wouldn't he? A good chance to make a statement.

In the end it didn't matter as NYR bullied the Bruins for the rest of the game, but I will always remember Fox turtling to Marchand. Literally turtling to the ice.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I miss the days of retired players dying in their 40s from after effects of CTE all because they couldn't handle losing a game 6-1.

Agreed.

Thank God bodychecks don't give players CTEs because people go to the quiet room and we're aware of them, but let's keep pointing out that fighting and only fighting gave those players those injuries and overstate how many have died prematurely because of that to further prove our point.

Reactions: Score8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad