OT: Boston Marathon Bombing - 10 Years Later

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I finally finished the Netflix documentary...............

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was a loose cannon that the Russians warned the FBI about and they decided he was harmless. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was well-liked growing up in Cambridge and it seems that in the end, he worshipped his older brother.

In any event, Dzhokhar left his backpack bomb next to the Richard family children........and for that I hope he lives a long life at SuperMax in Colorado

I am happy that 10 years later Boston will have a spectacular Marathon Monday - Cheer the runners, cheer the Sawx and then get one win closer to the Cup.
I didn’t love the two writers in it either. I feel for the one that lost his father in the 9/11 tragedy of course.

it sure was, watched it yesterday, heartbreaking, totally forgot the name of the gentleman who escaped at the gas station but what a hero he was
That footage was heart pounding

Reactions: Kovi

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I didn’t love the two writers in it either. I feel for the one that lost his father in the 9/11 tragedy of course.

That footage was heart pounding
I didn't understand why one writer was in the documentarty but Alex Filipov was a good choice IMO since he was covering US-Russia relations at the time for the paper

Reactions: GordonHowe

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I ran into Bill Evans at, oddly enough, the Pour House (where I was when the bombs went off) after the B.A.A. 5k a year or two after the bombing. I thanked him for everything he did for the city. Incredibly nice, humble guy.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I was glued to the police radio scanner for days when this happened. Lived in Waltham at the time, my family is from Watertown. Hit very close to home.

Looking back on it, whole thing should have never happened.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I went to the Sox game as is tradition. The Bruins were playing that night, regular season game due to the late start of the lockout. Our plan was to hit the game, go to Boylston, then head over to the Garden area for pre-game.

We ended up at the Pour House in the front bar by the windows with some friends. Despite it being somewhat loud in there, we all heard the explosion, saw smoke, and saw people running the other way - people who just ran 26.1 miles don’t turn around and run the other way before they finish that .1. We figured a transformer or something exploded: the bouncers weren’t letting anyone out to see what was going on. Oddly enough it wasn’t that crowded in there.

The smell of fire and electrical fire started permeating the space and people were getting nervous. I have to say the staff did an incredible job keeping people (many who had been boozing for hours at that point) calm and orderly. Eventually a bunch of state and Boston police came in and said we were being evacuated but had to go out through the basement rear door into the alley - no one was allowed on Boylston.

We go outside and there are police officers lining the entire alley to make sure people did not try to head to Boylston. We walked the alley towards Gloucester St and there were more cops blocking the path to Boylston. The entire street was filled with officers pushing folks towards Comm Ave.

We headed towards Comm, confused and scared having no idea what was going on. Cell service was down and it was complete silence except for sirens and helicopters .

Still not understanding what happened we decided to head towards the Garden. We made a pit stop at Beacon Hill Pub which had the news on and that’s when we started getting a better understanding of what was going on.

The game had been cancelled and T service was temporarily suspended. Most bars were shut down by that point. We headed towards Fanuiel Hall, having the idea that we would start walking towards Medford and grab a cab at some point. The Black Rose was open so we stopped in there and T service eventually restarted.

Without a doubt one of the strangest, scariest, and generally wild days of my life.

Other nuggets:

Krystle Campbell was in my circle for a bit, as she dated one of my now-husband’s friends for a while.

4 years later, I took the 26.2 mile run from Hopkinton to Boylston myself.

These were my two Facebook posts from that day. A tale of two days; seeing these back to back in my memories always gives me chills.

View attachment 688903

Monday I’ll do what I’ve done every year since (except the year I ran)…Sox game at 11 and then make my way to Boylston to cheer on the runners.

f*** you, you animals.

Lovely post. Thank you.

No Bruins?

:wedgie:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I could handle a triple header 10 years ago. Now, not so much.
Too funny - was thinking about that. I just got back from Montreal and back to back 8 am wake ups when usually 5-6

I want to see Ohtani and know folks running - meeting up with Gorski & Jessie (former HFers) before Bruins for dinner but to long
a day
I’ll watch first two events on tv

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I finally finished the Netflix documentary...............

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was a loose cannon that the Russians warned the FBI about and they decided he was harmless. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was well-liked growing up in Cambridge and it seems that in the end, he worshipped his older brother.

In any event, Dzhokhar left his backpack bomb next to the Richard family children........and for that I hope he lives a long life at SuperMax in Colorado

I am happy that 10 years later Boston will have a spectacular Marathon Monday - Cheer the runners, cheer the Sawx and then get one win closer to the Cup.
That's what's so weird, Dzhokhar was the face of the attacks, when pretty much everything indicates that Tamerlan was the radicalized one who planned everything and that Dzhokhar was just an aimless youth with no real ideological motives but who looked up to his older brother and followed him like a dog. But no doubt he was a bad individual to go along with everything and proactively commit the acts he did.

What's crazy is that they probably get out of town and go into hiding if the SUV they hijacked wasn't already low on gas. Eventually they would've been located, I can't see any way in which they don't get caught, but it wouldn't have been the wild shootout it ended up being.

Not to take joy in anyone's death, but it always gives me kind of a half-hearted chuckle to think about how Tamerlan got run over and killed by his brother trying to frantically escape from the cops.

Too funny - was thinking about that. I just got back from Montreal and back to back 8 am wake ups when usually 5-6

I want to see Ohtani and know folks running - meeting up with Gorski & Jessie (former HFers) before Bruins for dinner but to long
a day
I’ll watch first two events on tv
Tell gorskic to come back for the playoffs

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I ran into Bill Evans at, oddly enough, the Pour House (where I was when the bombs went off) after the B.A.A. 5k a year or two after the bombing. I thanked him for everything he did for the city. Incredibly nice, humble guy.

I used to rent a room at the house of a long time Boston firefighter in Savin Hill.

He knew Bill Evans from the time they were kids.

He referred to Evans (affectionately) as "Mouse."

Always liked Bill Evans.

Reactions: Kovi

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That's what's so weird, Dzhokhar was the face of the attacks, when pretty much everything indicates that Tamerlan was the radicalized one who planned everything and that Dzhokhar was just an aimless youth with no real ideological motives but who looked up to his older brother and followed him like a dog. But no doubt he was a bad individual to go along with everything and proactively commit the acts he did.

What's crazy is that they probably get out of town and go into hiding if the SUV they hijacked wasn't already low on gas. Eventually they would've been located, I can't see any way in which they don't get caught, but it wouldn't have been the wild shootout it ended up being.

Not to take joy in anyone's death, but it always gives me kind of a half-hearted chuckle to think about how Tamerlan got run over and killed by his brother trying to frantically escape from the cops.

Tell gorskic to come back for the playoffs
I’m sitting in Porters with him right now

He’s a character

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Dzhokhar in high school was a regular volunteer at an Inman Sq homeless dinner held weekly.

The person who is forgotten in this is Tamerlan's wife - Katherine Russell. She met him as a young college student and totally came under his control.

Dzhokhar placed the backpack next to children so he deserves no mercy. Even more chilling 20 minutes later he is seen buying milk at Whole Foods on Prospect Street. I believe in the end he killed his brother out of anger over all of it.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The person who is forgotten in this is Dzhokhar's wife - Katherine Russell. She met him as a young college student and totally came under his control.

I'm shocked she was never charged b/c she definitely knew a hell of a lot more than they let on. She apparently moved to NJ about a year after the attack with her sisters in law and she's flown under the radar since.

Last edited by a moderator:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Kevin Cullen's entry in Our Boston: Writers Celebrate the City They Love, "Running Toward the Bombs" is a worthy and illuminating read, especially relative to Tamerlin's behavior during and after the Watertown fire fight,

Last edited by a moderator:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I'm shocked she was never charged b/c she definitely knew a hell of a lot more than they let on. She apparently moved to NJ about a year after the attack with her sisters in law and she's flown under the radar since.
Yes. And what about their mother, who would not return to the Boston area after the bombing because she likely would have been arrested for theft (sic).

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This was the alert that was sent out after they captured him. Gives me chills.

full

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad