Boston has more OT losses than regulation losses

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It's mildly annoying, but I won't stress about it unless the NHL decides to implement the SO or 3 vs 3 OT in the playoffs. Part of the problem is Bruins' coaching. Some of the OTs this season have featured some very bizarre combos, players left on the bench who clearly have more ability than players who get ice time, and even fourth liners seeing ice time. The approach sometimes seems to be that defense is thought of more than offense by the coaching staff. OT is all about possessing the puck and scoring as a result of valuing that possession. It favors skill players, not grinders. There indeed should be no excuse for a team as gifted as the Bruins to have the OT and SO record they have.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I wonder who'll end up with more, by season's end:

Boston's loser points?

Or

Detroit's wins?

Currently a slim 14-12 lead for Detroit......gotta say my money would be on them. :laugh:
Judging by their performance in shootouts this year Boston might actually have money on this exact betting line.

It’s inexplicable. And painful to watch lol

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
We might be in trouble if Rob Manfred ever becomes the NHL Commissioner. :shakehead
I wondered if opposing goalies had buzzers alerting them to what Bruins' shooters would do during a shootout. But then I realized the Bruins players don't have any idea what they are doing, either.;)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
2009/10 Capitals had 15 regulation losses and 13 OT/SO losses, and the 2012/13 Hawks had 7 regulation losses and 5 OT/SO losses. That's the closest it's been to having more OT/SO losses than regulation losses.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Loser point is a hell of a drug.

Tampa has 3 more wins then Boston and is still 1pt behind them in the standings. :laugh:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They are a really good team that is hard to beat. Unfortunately I think they will be back in the Finals again this year. Hope they lose again in it though.

Tampa has 3 more wins then Boston and is still 1pt behind them in the standings. :laugh:

It's not a loser point.

You get the additional point before OT even begins. If anything, they have been really unlucky because of their shitty OT and Shootout record. If they had any luck in those games, they would be running away with the President's Trophy.

They're almost impossible to beat in regulation (unless your the Red Wings).

But you'd think after 3 years of being miserable in extra time they'd focus on that stuff more in practice. I guess not though since they've become 1000% worse this season. As soon as it goes into extra time I usually turn it off bc I know the outcome.

Leafs are shit in the shootout too. I just turn it off because I expect a loss. Despite the talent, they have the most unimaginative shootout attempts. They might have a better chance of scoring if they could get the goalie to get an attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

The notion that loser points are a bad thing when the Bruins have 4 less regulation losses than any team in the league and are tied for 1st with regulation wins is so dumb. 31-11 in regulation, which is the only thing that simulates playoff hockey. Tampa is the next best at 31-15.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Stunned that they cant figure this shit out after regulation considering their options.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Stunned that they cant figure this **** out after regulation considering their options.
Like someone else said 4-5 in OT is fine. Maybe the next step would just be using Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak in OT because going to the shootout just isn't worth it.

They just don't have the guns to get it done in a shootout. Coyle is a no-brainer lock to use every time, and even he's nothing amazing. Marchand and Pastrnak are just absolutely abysmal in the shootout, but the issue is that they have no one else that's any better so they just go back to the well to hope their skill can come through. It did once with Pastrnak, but they're a combined 1/13 this year and 13/67 in their career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad